Back in December last year, I bought my very first Subaru ever, an Aspen White 2001 Forester L. I've always had Hondas before, but I've always kept an eye on Subarus and always wanted to own one. So after a long time and much search online, I was able to find what imo was a Forester in great condition for its year, with only 114K miles. However, the car would not be without its faults as it had been intermittently overheating by what seemed to be an issue with its Achilles' hill: the infamous head gasket problem. Even though, I had done quiet a few aesthetic mods and mostly suspension work on my previous vehicles, I had never embarked a job as big as a total engine overhaul. I must admit at first I was a little intimidated.. So I started reading the shop manual a lot and learning about the car, researching here and there and watching a lot of YouTube videos. Went ahead and bought an engine lift, an engine stand and some specialty tools neded for the job and with the help of my father in law started taking the engine apart. At work they were going to throw away a sturdy frame which was originally holding brand new X-Ray equipment which came from Germany. It occurred I could turn it into a work bench and decided to keep it.
I will try to be as thorough as possible showing all my work details and also asking questions as I go along. After all, this is the first time I'm doing this. Hopefully those thinking of doing this a similar job can benefit from this thread as well.
I apologize for some of the tilted pics..
The day it arrived home
X-Ray table frame I took home
Most of the equipment the frame was holding
The future work bench
Then I built a table top for it
Added a sheet of zinc on top
Harbor Freight holidays specials
Tools I used..
let the disassembly begin
Since I've never done this before and there are so many connections, we marked all hoses, connectors, sensors, etc with the same numbers for male/female connections
Engine bay as it was before being removed. All male/female connectors/pipes and hoses were labeled each other with the same number in order to make engine rebuild much easier