So once the AVCS code was fixed by replacing the cam gears and solenoids, I figured I'd be good for a while...not the case.
End of last week, I got a P2007 code about the intake manifold being stuck closed. Googled around and found that the motors and sensors can often go bad. Further research led me to TGV DIY deletes. I figured that would be the way to go since my car was in limp mode for too long. And since my car repair fund was dry from the cam gear replacement and I daily it, I wasn't left with much choice other than tear into the manifold myself. I decided I would do the simplest form of delete by removing the butterfly valves and keeping the bars installed with motors and sensors. I also did not port it since I have no provision for a tune right now and I just wanted to get my car back on the road.
This has been something I've wanted to do for some time to learn more. However, I wish 1) I had more time and not been under the gun and 2) been more prepared with aftermarket and OEM replacement parts (namely a new turbo inlet and STI manifold, and option to port the TGVs with a tune, oh and OEM gaskets). But I knew it had to be done this weekend so away I went. Shout out to
for his intake manifold write up, it was helpful along with other forum posts here and on NASIOC (plus the trusty FSM).
I sourced good used motors and sensors from a local Facebook Subaru group member. Found out later the motors did not fit (maybe for an EJ20 not 255. So I reinstalled the originals. I would have bought them anyway even if we knew they were slightly different at the time of purchase. Wouldn't have wanted to take the chance.
A friend and I went to work on removing the intake. It was crazy how many plugs, connectors, and hoses there was to remove (and then REINSTALL)! But overall I learned so much about the car and was able to tighten up the fuel lines under the intake. Hopefully that will remove the fuel smell in the winter.
The actual removal of the butterfly valves took all of 20 minutes once the TGVs were off the manifold.
Reinstalling the passenger side of the manifold was probably the worst part. The gaskets I got from the local auto parts store were not an exact OEM fit, so I had to trim them and they did not have holes for the alignment pins. Needless to say, I won't make that mistake again. Thank goodness for long screwdrivers.
Everything went back together well and the car is running great so far! No CELs or anything. And if it does come back, I'll know it's the motor since the sensors are newer. And my car will be drivable since the valves are gone. Shout out to my friend who stayed to help the entire day! I wouldn't have finished without him. We started at 11:30am and finished at 9:30pm. However that does include 2.5 hours of driving to go get the parts and back.
I apologize for the seemingly haphazard way I wrote this up. I wish I had the time and patience to do write ups like others here. If I have time, I will upload some photos!