post #1 of 202 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2013
Car Model: F-XT
Transmission: 4eat
Garage
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
HeyChris' `13 XT - OBP Livery...

Of my sixteen plus years intertwined in the Subaru community... (Probably 18 before the NASIOC/I-Club split) ...I guess it is about time for me to throw one of these together.

1st 2000 RS - Inanimate Object demise, Rt33 (March 2000 - April 01 2001)

Five Point Harnesses FTW!

I took a little detour via a 1989 GTi 16v that was the little go-cart that could for about a year which was left stock except fore the removal of the 1st muffler. One of the previous owners installed two mufflers on it to quiet it down and stifle performance. Oddly enough removal of one made quite a difference. And then a 2003 Lexus IS300 for six months or so after working with Greddy on Prototype Coilovers and an exhaust system. Broke even on the sale due to the "free" parts I was given.

2nd RS (August 2003 - July 2011) Heavily modified and many iterations. Looks relatively stock, but carried a big stick.

And then..... A big old dagnabit, no new WRX/Legacy wagons and I didn't want the hatch back WRX or an Outback.. The XT will have to do. :devil: Minion #2 arrive a few weeks prior and my RS as a modified daily driver wasn't going to practically accommodate a Recaro child seat and a behemoth Graco baby carrier in the back. I couldn't justify keeping the RS as a weekend car, plus the proceeds of that sale cut down the out the door kick in the nuts for the XT quite considerably. (Sadly the kid I sold it to butchered the parts off it.)

After searching my SoCal dealers, everyone had XT's on 6-8 week arrival timeline when I needed a new set of wheels sooner than that. Although I knew it was temporary being a 1 car family, the shorter amount of time dealing with that the better. Unfortunately the only one I could locate was an OBP version (bottom of my picking list on colors.)

The four things it had going for it was leather interior, upgraded speakers, Navigation and five spoke wheels. Seven miles on the ODO before the 14 mile test drive. Obligatory swirls in paint, while not on the official Subaru order form they were given to me at no cost. :grumble:

FYI, Subaru of Ontario is a horrible dealership. Even after agreeing on an out the door price on paper via e-mails they tried to jack up the price $3k once we got there. Plus we were paying cash (no financing) and was advised we could save money if we financed it. This was from their finance guy. He may have been joking, but it was too deadpan to not be a serious belief from him.

Day 1 from dealer.

-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.

Mod List:

Engine:

Milk Jug Delete (See Post ) (Post #8 )
AEM Dryflow panel filter

Exhaust:

2011 WRX OEM Intermediate pipe (Post #10 )
2016 WRX Mufflers, modified to match <2013 flanges. (Post #9 &31)
1x ScotchBrite Scrubber in one port of each muffler (Post #31 )
LPS extended hangars

Suspension:

Swift Springs (Post #14 )
19mm STi OEM Rear Sway Bar with OEM bushings
Oversized Lugnuts from Costco @ $.50 each. (Post #13 )

Tires:

Michelin Defenders LTX M/S (225/55/17") (Post #74 )

Exterior:

RockBlokz Mudflaps (Post #42 )
OEM Rain Visors (Post #70 )
SubaruForester.org stickers on mudflaps & glass. =D
Security Screws with center posts for license plates

Mounted when needed...
Swagman XTC4 Bike Rack
Yakima Cargo Pod

Interior:

OEM JDM Paddle Shifters with harness from JapanParts.com (Post #72 )
StreetGuardian SG9665GC hardwired. (Post #6 )
Diode Dynamic LEDs in map/dome lights.
Diode Dynamic 2x LED Flex Light in cargo area (Post #8 9)
WeatherTech Floor Liners F&R (Post #33 )
BAFX OBD2 Bluetooth in conjunction with Torque Pro App on phone (Post #75 )

Audio:

20 pin receiver wiring harness from AE64.com
2x Aura Bass Shakers (Transducers) mounted under driver seat. (Post #5 )
VR3 200Watt Amp - aka Ebay special

Lighting:

Fogs: Cougar Motor LEDs 9006 6k bulbs (Post #10 5)
DRLs Disabled for upcoming project (Post #112 )

Go To CarWash... (Post #8 1)

Meguiars Mirror Glaze 62 (Post #32 )
Meguiars NXT 2.0 Car Wax
Meguiars D15601 Synthetic X-press Wax (Ultimate Quick Wax equivalent)

Wish List for Future Reference

Diode Dynamics SL1's for foglights & High Beams
Seperate Control of Foglights for DRL purposes, etc
~24mm FSB...
Bilstein B6 struts or Cusco adjustable struts, new for 2018.
More Power
A 5eat.... =/

Last edited by HeyChris; 04-13-2018 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Added Mod List
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 202 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
First "official" mod December 2012 as adding a SubaruForester.org sticker inside the rear glass +7lbs of torque.. =P

I'm not a fan of exterior stickers. They are a pain when cleaning the vehicle. Inside stickers last longer and do not risk the chance of being wiped/torn off when cleaning window.

Had a friend looking for a test vehicle.
https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...series-124292/

Second Mod, well wasn't a mod and was done early on when the coilovers were installed, taken off, re-installed, taken off... (Didn't make the post til towards the end) But it certainly makes seeing at night easier.

https://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...lights-191321/

Also raised the aim of the foglights too via the adjustment point onthe back...

MaTTyBiGs likes this.

Last edited by HeyChris; 06-01-2016 at 11:28 AM.
post #3 of 202 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
Spring 2012

- Christmas $$$ Did the 19mm STi RSB swap. Could-a/Should-a have done the 20MM bar, but for the Bang For Your Buck, was worth every penny.

- Hella Twin Super Tone horns behind the grill to replace the weak "Excuse Me" version.

June 2012 Installed Curt Class III Trailer hitch. Fairly straight forward install. The Swagman XTC-4 bike rack arrived a few days after I installed the hitch. Both sourced via Amazon.

Swagman gave me excellent customer service when one of the ratcheding pieces for locking down the bikes started to show signs of rust. They drop shipped a replacement set for all four pieces at no cost.

Yes, there's a bit of extra wheel gap in fron when the rack is loaded, cargo area and pod full as well. (Picture from Christmas 2013)

Road trip prepped to Denver area for a wedding with detours through Zion. Took the coilovers off for this trip in August 2012 as I was expecting to hit a few fireroads and didn't want to have any unhappy passengers.... Yeah, that's the excuse, not that they would have been too low and possibly had body contact with mother earth. lolz

$50 New to me cargo carrier from a neighbor moving out of state came in great for holding wedding clothes, the odd sporting equipment to keep the boy entertained if we needed a roadside break for his new sister to be fed/etc... And of course dirty laundry, why stink up the car with it? ha-ha

I cheapened out and went with the 60" square tubing Malone Cross-bars versus their aerodynamic bars. At the time they were the lowest cost available versus used OEM bars which weren't being traded that often.

The wind noise between the cargo pod and roof was relentless. Shifting the pod back brought down some wind noise, but not a whole lot. May try using sliced pool noodles on the bars the next time the pod goes up.

The extra ground clearance came in handy for the "downpour" in Castle Rock... =P

Last edited by HeyChris; 06-01-2016 at 11:37 AM.

post #4 of 202 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
Thanksgiving weekend 2014. 25 days to remedy after collision center ordered the wrong part, then failed to aim headlight properly. - (Freeway) SUV crossing into my lane kicked up a shovel I was about to avoid on the lane edge
launching the shovel head towards me and the handle to the adjacent lane, which was empty of course. The XT took the shovel head to the passenger HID headlamp and grill. After $500 deductible, Insurance still paid out over $1k. I had the kids with me and luckily this was all the damage it did. No scratches on bumper nor A-pillar as it bounced off into the neighboring lane.

This was an event I wished I had a dash camera for...

Interior Lights: 2x Diode Dynamics 200 Lumens Flex Lights in Cargo area because one wasn't bright enough and one of their LEDs in the center dome light. I plan on replacing the map lights once they burn out.

Last edited by HeyChris; 06-01-2016 at 11:35 AM.
post #5 of 202 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 11:00 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
Aura Bass Shakers

Final/Current Sound system updated March 2015.***

In 2012- I added a new to me OEM sub-woofer under the seat using a harness from AE64.com and was content with that til I blew the speaker. Determined to not place a sub-woofer box in the cargo area or replace it with another lackluster OEM sub-woofer I went a different route... Calling up memories of my friends mini-truckin' days...

Back in the early 90's I had a buddy who installed a pair of Aura Bass Shakers (Transducers) on a sub-woofer box in his Toyota regular cab truck. The way it was set up the whole truck felt as though it were one giant sub-woofer....

After a couple of attempts with leftover sub-woofer parts and location - Under seat/in the back cargo area. I remembered about my buddy's truck.

I will say it won't satisfy everyone's needs. But it works great for me. With the factory tweeters and upgraded speakers giving the low(er) notes for bass. The kick from the Bass Shakers fit my need completely letting me enjoy my music wholly and not be too loud for the kids/wife while still giving me the experience of having a sub in the car.

Basic Part list

AE46's harness
Amp
2x Aura Bass Shakers
2 x 3 1/2" hinges.
Wood
Slightly longer bolts to offset thickness of hinge

The mounting holes on the hinge on the seat side were elongated to allow a larger spread as this hinge was closes I could get to match the seat slider bolt location.

The nice part about this is if I get bored of this set up I can install it in the house under the couch for a better movie experience.

Chris McCrary, on Flickr

Last edited by HeyChris; 01-18-2018 at 04:32 PM. Reason: More Verbiage. ;-)
post #6 of 202 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
May 2015 Installed a Street Guardian SG9665GC dash cam. Hard-wiring it through an unused plug for the powered mirror I do not have. (Home link/Compass). Which made running wires less of a hassle. Especially with the 12v to 5v mini usb converter wires being really short. (Same fuse for your tushy warmer)

I could have purchased the harness for that plug and trimmed the wires for a cleaner install but on hand vampire clips were cheaper. (Think the harness is ~$20)

The 12v to 5v was double sided sticky taped to a spot on the map light housing. Excess wires i had were tucked in the empty recess of the roof liner.

Also because I chose to install the gps sensor onto the passenger top window glass I had to open that housing to flip the sensor. (Super easy) The vendor provided typed/youtube instructions.

Edited snippet on day of install. There is an option to turn the mic off. It is clear enough to hear the back seat occupants... My 2.85yr old daughter can be heard coughing a couple times.

Video suffers from Youtube compression....

Last edited by HeyChris; 11-15-2016 at 08:49 AM.
post #7 of 202 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
June 2015 - OEM tires bit the dust @ ~35k miles. Initially replaced them with BFG Comp2 A/S with their new tread pattern, but returned them after playing with air pressure. Went up and then down in air pressure. Couldn't shake the feeling of each lug hitting the pavement. They were sticky for sure, great on asphalt. Droned on concrete. I really wanted to give them a longer try, but after a few days took them back to America's Tire Store and they exchanged them for a set of Hankook Ventus S1 Noble2 225/55/17's for me.

While not as sticky as the BFG's for same UHP rating, they were a lot quieter for me. Although 10k miles and they are starting to get louder going down the concrete highway. Asphalt, no complaints. Ditto for on/off ramps.
post #8 of 202 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
February 11 2016

Removed the milk jug which worked wonders in my built N/A RS with a MAP system. These silly MAF cars are sure picky. Needless to say off the line acceleration was lacking. Although above 4k was a complete hoot. After a couple of weeks I put the milk jug back in. The car was much happier overall.

post #9 of 202 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
February 24 2016 - Installed my new to me `11 WRX mufflers. Used one longer hanger on each side from my local auto part store. $4 each.

The wonderful sounds these made at WOT shifting was awesome. Wish the stock cans sounded that way.

The droning was a bit extreme at the 1500-1800 rpm level, so I tried a cheap mod a few others have tried successfully. Stuffing one port on each muffler with Scotch Brite Stainless Steal Scrubbers. (2 in each) Much happier afterwards.

post #10 of 202 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
April 2016 - Ah I'm getting old in this slush-box with exhaust that doesn't drone nearly as loud as it did, but still not acceptable to my ears. So, I put them up for sale selling them for a slight loss due to shipping back to the east coast.

(Random Tidbit.... $5 cheaper to ship to CA from NY than CA to NY using absolutely same terms and specs... True story)

Going back to stock wasn't an option. Picked up a resonated `14 Y-pipe (mid-pipe) for $40 from a fellow moving to Japan with his new US spec BRZ. I should have picked up his non-resonated STi Y-pipe for another $40 to have comparisons available, but hindsight....

Sound.. Still quiet in cabin, no droning. More Subaru noise at idle and the XT really responds under boost. It (& me) are really happy in the upper RPMs. Pulls a lot harder now the gasses are going straight through versus gong through a roundabout...

I also should have painted the back of the stock mufflers before reinstalling them. The color contrast with the chrome tips would have been better.

Picture courtesy of @Tezzating

Tezzating likes this.

Last edited by HeyChris; 06-01-2016 at 11:40 AM.
post #11 of 202 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 11:12 AM
Forum Member
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2011
Car Model: XT Touring
Transmission: 4EAT
Garage
nice! glad to have all the info in one place now.
HeyChris likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

305WHP/360WTQ
Instagram: @FXTerrific
post #12 of 202 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 11:18 AM
Forum Member

Car Year: 2010
Car Model: XT Limited
Transmission: 4EAT
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I need to adjust mine and mine isn't even lowered, I know they are not very functional but the aim of mine right now are way too far into the ground.
HeyChris likes this.
post #13 of 202 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
Mid April - OEM brakes starting to lose their bite. They had enough meat on them for another six months or so but I was losing emergency stopping confidence.

Replaced pads all around with Centric Posi Quiet Ceramic Pads via Tire Rack. I went with these to try them out. I usually ran Hawks on the RS, but I didn't need something quite aggressive for the XT. So far they are getting the job done.

Centric Posi Quiet Ceramic Pads

Of course I broke a stud trying to remove the wheel. Replaced for $2.92 plus my own labor versus the $50-$150 & Two hours til - however long it takes us to get the part and start working on it.

Most time consuming part was going through my infinity size bag of Subaru bolts and nuts I've collected over the decades in attempt to find a M8x1.25 bolt to thread through and remove the rear rotor.

Also changed out all the lug nuts to an extended version. $.50 each @ Costco. Same lug nut style I had on my RS' Gives the wheels a slightly more aggressive stature without screaming BOY RACER everywhere.

Tezzating likes this.

Last edited by HeyChris; 06-03-2016 at 06:31 PM.
post #14 of 202 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
Happy (April) Birthday to me...

45k miles on the ODO, struts still young enough to handle lowing springs. As much as I pleaded with Eibach they never released a set of springs for our Foresters. And Swift wised up to people wanting more than a `.8" drop. Plus everyone I've talked to have been extremely happy with them. Pulled the trigger and used a little birthday $$$

Amazon price shipped cheaper than Local Performance Shop or eBay. Was initially quoted 10 day shipping.... Item was drop shipped from Swift in Chino and two days later they arrived during dinner. Wife said these had better not be for her car. (Said with a smile of course)

I have three main things to be extremely thankful for this swap.
1. Spring compressor loaned by a friend, sourced via Harbor Freight.
2. My pass through ratchet set, also from HF.
3. My 20v Dewault 1/4" drive cordless impact gun. My little compressor that couldn't didn't have enough oomph to compress the springs but the cordless did.

Front spring difference.

Before

After, springs still settling.

After a week's worth of driving on them.

FXTerrific likes this.
post #15 of 202 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTTyBiGs View Post
I need to adjust mine and mine isn't even lowered, I know they are not very functional but the aim of mine right now are way too far into the ground.
I need to re-adjust the fog lights again now that its on the Swifts. Too close to the ground. Wish Subaru did driving light option versus fog lights. It would have been a much better usage of them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > Members' Journals

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode