We already have a 2016 Forester purchased new. I'm considering a 2019 Forester because after sitting in one I se that there is more room in the front seat, read that it is quieter, and have good previous experience with Subaru ownership.
Drove the 2016 on 2,000 mile loop to see what driving, passing and gas mileage was like.
As for gas mileage:
When we arrived at our destination the trip mileage was down to 17.2 mpg, destroying the 26+ mpg average my wife had. Yes, I drive a little more quickly than most.
After this trip I was impressed with:
1) 40% increase in gas mileage over my 4Runner.
2) Excellent backroad washboard handling.
3) Visibility outside rivaling my 4Runner.
4) Better performance than expected from CVT and tiny 2.5 liter engine.
1) Not quite big enough driver accommodation.
2) Concrete expansion joint noise transmitted into passenger cabin.
3) Wind noise.
4) 1/2 the suitcase area behind 2nd row of seats compared to my 4Runner.
Why would I make the change? Not sure I will but am seriously considering a 2019 Forester, or may 2020 Outback if it has the 2.4 turbo.
If a Subaru was purchased, it would be used exploring backroads. The Subaru optional skid plates would be added. A top quality 2" lift would be installed. No serious off-road, just wild hair exploration should a forest backroad call my name.
I would welcome any advise.