post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Car Year: 2017
Car Model: 2.5i Premium
Transmission: CVT
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
First Subaru

Hello everyone,
I just purchased my first Subaru, a 2017 Forester 2.5i Premium. It's white, low miles, and I really like it -- although it seems like too nice a car for me. You see, I started out driving air cooled VWs, and still own a '71 Campmobile and a '70 beetle that needs restoration. I also have an '85 Honda Civic that now boasts 404,000 miles (slightly cheating since I had a used engine put in at 288K). I am hoping my Forester will be with me a long time.

I haven't read the owners' manual yet, so I hesitate to ask too many questions right off the bat. My mileage isn't as good as advertised, but I wonder if that's because here in Montana, we have hills and lots of wind -- and an 80 mph speed limit on the interstate.

I'm new, have a lot to learn, but am glad I found this forum. So much information here. On top of that, it's clear to me that many Subaru enthusiasts are as crazy about their rigs as us air cooled guys. Love it!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator
Contributing Member

Car Year: 2018
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Welcome from New Hampshire. You'll like it here.

I have happy memories of my '68 VW bus, bought while in the Army in Germany, driven around Europe, driven across the US to grad school in Washington state, then driven back to the east coast via all four corners of the country to begin my professional career in Maryland. The only complaint was valve jobs. Special memories of sleeping in it when they closed Snoqualmie Pass in a blizzard, but we were well equipped with camping equipment and it was an easy night's sleep.

I also owned a '57 bug for a month or so while wrapping up my Army time in Germany, after I had shipped the bus home so that it would be ready for me when I arrived. Bought it for $100 at a place across the street from the Frankfurt PX, and sold it back for $25. It had the semaphore directionals, but they had been updated with blinkers.

bobk25 and MTforester17 like this.

2.5i Premium CVT - Me 2018, She 2016 ● Robin-Subaru Powered Generator
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

You know what that '57 would be worth today . . . My uncle had one. When I was in elementary school I used to stay with my grandparents in So Cal. One year my uncle drove me north on 99 to meet up with my parents in Fresno or some place (we lived farther north, near Sacramento). All those years gone by and I can still remember the sound (noise!) of that bug climbing the grape vine hill in 3rd and 2nd gear.
My bus is in fairly good shape -- it's got a little cancer in the wheel wells -- but the rest of the body is good. My current engine is stock but really solid, along with the rest of my running gear. I have all the original camping stuff, too. I love my bus and I enjoy driving it. The Forester is a welcome addition to the family for long trips and winter driving over mountain roads. And, I can drive it some up in the hills nearby, too. Just wish I could get a full sized spare to fit under the cargo area without major modifications. I'll do some exploring on the forum to see what options exist.
Thanks for the welcome.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 08:50 PM
スーパー モデレーター

Car Year: 2007
Car Model: Forester Sports XT
Transmission: 4EAT
Feedback Score: 42 reviews
@MTforester17 welcome to the forum from Oregon!

Here's a link to my first car a '64 VW bug that my parents gave me for my High School graduation gift in '69!

Later in life I bought a brand new bus/camper conversion... pop up top (center], but it's was killed when a gal ran a 4-way stop in a Chevy SS!

Bobby...

['07 FSXT MODding Journal] ['03 X MODding Journal]
bobk25 likes this.

'07 FSXT - COBB Surgeline dyno stock Protune - Stage 1+
'03 X +AVO turbo kit = XT (son's)
'95 Neon Sport
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2019, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Forum Member

Thanks for the welcome, Bobby.
Pretty bug. My dad had a 40 horse at one time.
I never did much to my VW engines. One of my bus motors had 88s with a balanced crank and dual type III solexs. I once hit 90 on a flat patch of road with that set up -- and that was an accomplishment for my bus. Those were good days, but I'm totally stock with the bus these days.
2.5x_sleeper likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Subaru Forester Owners Forum > General Forums > New Member Introductions

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode