Subaru Forester Owners Forum - View Single Post - Trouble in the Northern Territory Australia - Trip Report
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2019, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Kevin
Administrator
Contributing Member

Car Year: MY03
Car Model: XS Premium / Luxury
Transmission: 4EAT w/diff lock
Went up to ANZAC Hill in to take a pic of Alice Springs. On the far right is the dealer that has my car:

Here's some friendly caravan park inhabitants:

A visit to Emily Gap where the flies just about carried me away! This was typical of the areas I had visited but in Alice Springs itself there were not as many. Bushman insert repellent (heavy duty) only lasts 5 minutes out here!

Beautiful nonetheless

Back to the dealer Wednesday 1st May and it was confirmed that the parts had arrived and resources allocated to put the car back together Thursday through Saturday. So with any luck I'll be back on the road by Sunday 5th May, some 18 days after breaking down!

Wednesday arvo visit to West MacDonnell Ranges and Simpson's Gap

A visit to the dealer Friday 3rd May 11 am where I was told the car would be ready this afternoon and they would call me when ready - no one called! :-(

Well…….bloody unbelievable!

Picked the car up late Saturday morning, filled it with fuel then drove back to the caravan park. Had a look in the engine bay and then underneath to check out the fuel tank weld repair; the weld was fine – but – diesel was leaking from elsewhere. Back to the dealer where the service department by this time had closed. One of the sales people helped out by contacting the service manager and he then arranged for 2 mechanics to come back to the workshop (remembering that it is a long weekend here). Turns out the tank is now leaking from the joint between the top and bottom halves and will need to be removed, sent back to the metal fab shop for another repair and then reinstalled. They said the tank was pressure tested before installing so I don’t know how this has happened. Given the public holiday on Monday I do not expect to leave here now until Thursday morning – bugger bugger bugger! At least they have given me a courtesy car this time.

The bank account can take a good bashing when the unexpected occurs! The recovery from Dalhousie Springs was $3,410 and, fortunately, covered by my NRMA Premium membership; the trip to Alice Springs was $1,700 which I had to pay. By the time I get home I will probably be about $6,000 out of pocket – excluding any repairs!

To be continued.........

MY'03 XS AT offroad; MY10 Triton GLX-R
MY'97 Outback RIP

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 3 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome