Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

What are your real world miles per gallon?

('14-'18) 
40K views 183 replies 114 participants last post by  morrcarr67 
#1 ·
Newbie here don't ya know too yet.

I am sure that this topic has been covered to death, but, since I am looking into a 2015 or 2016 Forester, I want the latest, best, up-to-date info you all have.

So, although it says that highway mileage will be ...... MPG, I am fairly sure that those numbers are measured at 50 or 55 MPH. What I want to know is, what would the numbers be at 70 or 75 MPH. So please tell me what you are getting, and with which engine.

Thanks.

Railfan

#2 ·
Hi, we live in Northern Indiana. Drove to Indy on Wed. for emergency surgery for my Wife. Very windy that day, ran 73 mph all the way, my longest run yet in our 2014 2.5i Limited. Got a round trip of 26.6 mpg. I would not care what mpg I get in this vehicle. We both love it especially in Winter.

#3 ·
Our 15na avgs 27mpg at 80mph without the roof bars. 26 with them on. 24-25 if anything is on top.

Tempted to remove the stock Duelers and put on the Michelin Primacy or Yok AVID Envigor(or Ascend). Either tire should add 2mpg.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

#5 ·
I have attached my PDF of my mileage logs. I started it when I had a 2011 Forester, but now I have a 2014 Forester. Overall I am happy I make the switch to the CVT as the mpg is much better. I generally don't use it during warmer months, as its mainly my winter car. 2 page pdf report should be attached here.

Attachments

#10 ·
I've had a 2016 XT for a few weeks and my wife drives a 2014 limited....on road trips to upstate NY her Forester averages 29-31 on the highway, pretty loaded and going 65-75 mph. I was pretty impressed when my XT averaged 28-29 on the same trip, although mine is definitely worse in city driving.

#11 ·
My 2015 2.5 Limited was pretty impressive, returning a best of 32 mpg on a tank. The 2016 FXT only has 180 miles on it and is down around 24 right now...should get better as it breaks in.

Compared to my 19 mpg average with the STi, the Forester is a fuel sipper no matter what the trim.

#12 ·
Drove to the Dallas area last week approximately 1,520 miles mileage was 21.9 mpg going there of course have cargo bag on top, winter fuel and high winds. Total miles driven during week was 3,880 final trip mileage was 23.5 mpg not bad considering the first 1,520 at 21.9mpg.

#13 ·
2014 Forester 2.5i Limited 29.7 mpg over last 5,000 mi
2015 Forester 2.5i Premium 29.1 mpg over last 3,250 mi
Mileage reset after latest oil change.
Oil 0w20 Synpower Valvoline.
As outside temps are dropping mpg is going down due to warm up, hence 2015 has lower mpg.
Both original Geolandars.

#18 ·
I have a 2014 Forester, NA, Premium, with 30.5K miles. I've logged every drop of gas I have put in it. I average around 28 MPG, all in. City driving is all over the place, but if it is more than a few miles, generally I get about 30 (by the computer). Highway driving is extremely speed dependent, 65 mpg gets 32, 70 about 29, 75 about 27, 80 about 23. Approaching 80 the mileage is more dependent on the weather. I generally now drive 75 when I used to drive 80, because of the fuel mileage drop.

I notice a nice uptick in mileage in the spring and fall, and a drop in the summer and winter. I also found the forester loved driving in the mountains in Colorado, got good mileage even over 10K feet.

BTW: I'd say I am about 50/50 city highway on the car. Although city in OKC, isn't the same as city in Chicago.

#22 ·
Great responses, all. So far, there seems to be little incentive for me to switch from my 2013 Ford Escape to a 2016 Subaru Forester. At least as it concerns gas mileage. I have owned one Subaru in the past (1986-1994) and loved it, but the "Singer sewing machine" engine was a bit on the lite side for power.

Besides gas mileage, the other thing that concerns me is the CVT. It has not been around long enough to answer questions of longevity. I just wonder about it's realiability for the long haul.

Again, thanks for all the answers. They are very helpful.

Railfan

#25 ·
I get horrible mileage. 20-21 mpg, but I sit in Houston rush hour traffic on Highway 290 and thats 90 percent of my driving. Previous vehicles have gotten as low as 13 mpg on a bad weeks commute, and Highway 290 is way worse today than it was then due to construction . It will be interesting to find out what it will be during the Christmas / New year gap. I've always had a significant uptick in MPG in my previous vehicles then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#28 ·
Since I've had both, I can compare long term mileage of the 2.5i CVT and my FXT. When I was measuring it long-term, my 2.5i averaged about 27.5mpg over two years, and the FXT has averaged 26.4 for the first 5600 miles. These figures are from the OBD, so I know they are 0.5-1.0 mpg high. Even so, its a pretty good indication of how they compare.

EJ

#29 ·
With blizzak ws-80 in winter 28-30mpg @65mph
with michelin premier in winter 26-28mpg@65mph

Stock tires about +2-3mpg compared to the above 2 tires.

That is during extended trips. If you are only going 15miles the car barely has time to get up to temp so the average will be much lower by 2-3mpg

#32 ·
My wife drives mostly city, speed trip average is 22 mph.
16 Forester XT (Subaru Forester) | Fuelly

Like posted earlier, 50 to 65 mph is the sweet spot. Any faster and you're fighting the aero. I think the only way things are going to get better for future generations of this car is if they get a proper hybrid system in place. Maybe even do what McLaren does and go with a big fat turbo and use the electric side as ow end torque fill.

My 09 WRX yields about the same mpg; however I get quite a bit more freeway miles on my commute.

#33 ·
Agree with the limitations (for now) of current design and aero issues over 60. It's like hitting the mpg wall.
IMO, Subaru has already gone over the "fun/performance vs. mpg" line with the 2.5i CVT tuning and drivetrain combo in the Forester. It's agile but the drivetrain is listless, especially over 50 mph. Makes a lot of noise and has an impressive fake throttle tip-in to simulate hp, but that's it. And, it's probably the best of the NA CUV/sedan models that Subaru sells in the US, which as it turns out isn't saying a lot. The vehicles are pretty fine, but the drivetrains are super anemic. This appears to be Subaru's solution to achieving CAFE standards: reduce engine displacement and in most cases hp and go to a CVT. They look to be avoiding developing an efficient hybrid to help overall fleet mileage and so far no DI in their mainline NA engines, either. It's really a shame.

One has to pay up for the turbos or the OB/Legacy six to get decent performance. Mazda has shown with their vehicles that spirited performance and great mpg can be achieved without a turbo and the deadly CVT/smallish engine washout.
So it can be done.

Meanwhile, I have my FXT. And like it, a lot.

EJ

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.