Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Can I add a power liftgate aftermarket? (merged thread)

('14-'18) 
55K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  2.5x_sleeper 
#1 ·
My 2015 Forester 2.5i Premium has manual tailgate. Handle is recessed now, is not as easy as it was in my 2007. Can I get this changed to a power tailgate?

#5 ·
http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f62/can-i-get-power-tailgate-aftermarket-346609/

As I said there, it is surely possible, but likely cost prohibitive.

Comaparing photos, you can see the difference. The upper left side of the hatch is where the hydraulic arm is that does the lifting. Note the differences.

Some that I can think of: Rear hatch trim area (white, where the arm comes out of), adding buttons to the drivers compartment and the bottom of the gate, new key fob and/or reprogramming, wiring, lifting mechanism.

#8 ·
We use ours almost exclusively. Love it. Especially the 'memory height' function which allows me to mount the roof-top cargo box where I want it (rearward) and prevent the hatch from hitting/breaking the box.

Great feature. Not sure I would attempt an aftermarket solution, that look more troublesome than it's worth. But it definitely was of value in the decision to go with touring model.

#18 ·
I have a XT Touring with the power liftgate. Is there anyway to open it manually?

Also,
The trunk is used primarily for my dog. In the case that his tail is sticking out of the opening, is there any way to stop the trunk from closing while in motion?

#19 ·
Hold the button on the exterior, just above the license plate. Tapping it will open with power, holding it will just unlock so you can open manually.

If you see the door closing on his tail, grab the bottom of the door. The pressure will trigger the obstacle sensor and stop the closing. I don't think his tail would be enough to trip the sensor alone though.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.