Subaru Forester Owners Forum - View Single Post - ('03-'05) P0442 error code - SOLVED!
Thread: ('03-'05) P0442 error code - SOLVED!
View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2014, 10:56 PM
JohnnyW
Forum Member

Car Year: 2003
Car Model: Forester 2.5X
Transmission: 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mekanic View Post
I've used unlit propane gas to locate vacuum leaks - would that work for this?
I question whether it would of not. There's a valve by the charcoal canister that I believe opens to allow fuel vapors into the charcoal canister. Then there's another valve on the left (passenger) side of the engine up under the intake manifold that opens to allow vapors to come up from the canister, pass through the opened valve and be directed via another hose right into the intake manifold. In order for the propane thing to work you'd have to have a way of assuring one or both of those valves were actually being held opened by the ECU.

I'm working on another low dollar solution to this deal and I'll do a full write-up with pictures and the whole bit, "IF" I can make it pan out for me first. I don't want to go writing up a big thing only to find I've sent people in the wrong direction. Sadly I'll say that it'll probably take at least a couple weeks even if it does all pan out because I have a LOT of irons in the fire right now. So please, do wish me luck!

Nothing changes if nothing changes

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome