Subaru Forester Owners Forum - View Single Post - (All Years) cigarette lighter socket hot always- easiest way to mod?
View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
lieutenantglorp
Forum Member

Car Year: 2009
Car Model: Forester 2.5X
I could not find the relay, so I went ahead and just did it the hard way. A lot of trim needs to come out before you can see the connections. Take your time and make sure all the screws are out/ plastic plugs removed/ connectors disconnected before pulling on the panel to release the snaps. The nearest connector can be accessed by removing only the climate control trim if you want to make the connection there instead. The power wire at the lighter socket is a yellow w/ green stripe. I disconnected it, tucked it away and wrapped it up so it won't short anywhere, leaving the option to put it back (likely never!) Then I ran a new power wire from the battery through a 10 amp fuse directly to the socket. I used the existing ground, but in the event you need more than 10 amps at that location, you should run a heavier ground wire instead in addition to a heavier gauge power wire. The cigarette lighter circuit is rated to 10 amps, and the accessory socket circuit (armrest and rear) is rated to 20 amps. Access to the armrest socket is much easier than the cigarette lighter socket, but the cig lighter socket is the one I prefer hot all the time since it is easiest to access while sitting in the driver seat and I use it the most. Happily charging my electronics with the vehicle powered off!!!
Attached Images

09 Forester 2.5X
9FH Auto All-Weather PZEV

Last edited by lieutenantglorp; 05-10-2011 at 09:49 AM.

Title goes here

close
video goes here
description goes here. Read Full Story
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome