Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 5 Speed
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this should be a simple question. i have an 06 forester with oem black cloth seats. im happy with them, but i miss the lower height of the wrx seats i was unable to make work in my car (airbag lights, still havent resolved this). anyway...could i take the rails off the 02 wrx seats and put them on my forester seats just to lower the height?

the value of 02 wrx seats has really diminished to the point where its not even worth selling them anymore, i'd rather turn one into a desk chair or something :icon_razz:

so would these rails/bases work?

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
yea it should work w/ some modification, just like anything else w/ these cars.. why couldnt you get the airbag light off? you cant just plug n play earlier year seats in2 an 06+. you have to swap the rail sensors and get resistors for the seat airbags.

how can you like the stock seats though, they are soooo unsupportive! i always had to brace myself against the door when making turns. sti seats were the first mod i did in my foresters.. the 02 wrx seats hug better than sti seats too...

btw you coming to the meet this saturday?

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 5 Speed
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
didnt know there was one. yea ill probably swing by. and the airbag light issue has been a real battle. im back to OEM seats and bags now and still cant get rid of the light. i have two sets of seat airbags, two bladders, the driver's sensor is plugged in, bladder installed, ive tried switching stuff up...i just cant crack it and gave up for the last few months.

·
Registered
Ah crap.. I'm back with my 05 XS
8,294 Posts
even when you swap your stock airbag into the wrx seat it still has problems? or did you not try that?

for my 08 sti seats, tussen had to cut into the frame to slot the airbag in, but it was really just cutting a small slot and drilling two holes for bolts.

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
You can put the forester seat back frame onto the 02 WRX base frame/rails. Use the Forester bottom cushion and cloth and notch the foam where the side bolster support bars in the WRX seat are. Then you will have a lower sitting seat, and you will gain a bunch of side bolstering support due to the bars.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 5MT
4,320 Posts
Jason, your problem was because you cut the wires off on the car side, right? Short of getting a entirely new wire harness, how did you reattach the plugs? Taps? Solder?

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 5 Speed
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jason, your problem was because you cut the wires off on the car side, right? Short of getting a entirely new wire harness, how did you reattach the plugs? Taps? Solder?
that was the initial problem yes. but now i realize i think i only have wrx side airbags...the ones from the 02 seats, and the extras you included with the seats i bought from you which were from an 06 wrx. i sold my stock forester seats, and assumed since the plugs were the same the wrx bags would work, but maybe that is my problem after all?

anyway, yes, my original problem was cutting those wires, but i got new plugs and soldered them on. only two wires, and the colors matches, so it seemed pretty simple. i have a feeling my problem is elsewhere...like the bladder or the actual side airbags themselves.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 5 Speed
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can put the forester seat back frame onto the 02 WRX base frame/rails. Use the Forester bottom cushion and cloth and notch the foam where the side bolster support bars in the WRX seat are. Then you will have a lower sitting seat, and you will gain a bunch of side bolstering support due to the bars.
this sounds like a good idea and my next project in the coming days.

·
Registered
2008 FSXT M/T
4,167 Posts
the bladder has nothing to do w/ it, only the passenger occupancy under the clock... my bet is on the wrx airbags, they are not compatible w/ the 06+ ecu. cutting the harness wasnt the best idea either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts