Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

Your thoughts on keeping 2014 Premium

('14-'18) 
3K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  ColoradoZ28 
#1 ·
I have a 2014 Premium, which I am about to finish paying for (no more $300/month). At the time of purchase I also bought an extended maintenance plan (which sort of paid for itself, since they had to replace batteries couple times as well as AC compressor), which also ends in September. I also just broke 40K on the vehicle.

Question that I have is:

Should I keep the car? If YES, what are other "gotchas" ppl have experienced with '14s (to keep an eye for)?
OR
Should I trade it in for 2019/2020 model? Of the top of my head, not very excited about abundance/over-reliance on electronic components (i.e., all the Lane Departure gadgets etc - which makes replacing windshield VERY expensive - just had to replace mine for $350 and dude was telling me that with LDCS it would be closer to 800).

Thoughts/opinions/experiences? TIA

#6 ·
My friend, you have a golden opportunity here, if you will take it, to move the needle a lot on becoming wealthy someday.

Keep driving the car. Statistically, it will go for many more years without any big maintenance. Keep making the $300/month payment. But pay that money into its own dedicated savings account. Don't mix car money with any other money. By the time you need another car, you will have most or all of it between that car account and whatever the old one is worth when you sell it.

This works. Don't be a wage slave to a lender ever again. Alas, few will take my advice. Please at least consider it.

#7 · (Edited)
@Even_Stephen . (y) Excellent advice!

I never understood the financial mentality of family and friends who, upon finally paying off a perfectly good car, can't wait to jump into another new car loan. Perhaps that's why I retired at a relatively young age and they are still working.

#8 ·
I am not as experienced as many here, still, I say keep it.
Next month, I pay off my 15 Forester, 34K on the odometer and I am keeping it till CVT warranty runs out. At that point, I will think of what to do with it.

Like some suggested, we plan to park half of the premium for future repairs/another car, rest half goes to 529.

Somebody said replace tranny fluid twice as often. At least in my neck of the woods, nobody wants to touch it, and I don't want to DIY because of lack of education/experience in that dept. Hence I am going to rethink as it nears 10th birthday.

#9 ·
Although I'm in the US, I'll take my cue on when to change CVT fluid from Subaru Canada which requires a CVT fluid change at 5 years/100,000 km to maintain the extended CVT warranty. Therefore I'll be changing my CVT fluid every 60,000 miles. See item #9 here: https://www.subaru.ca/WebPage.aspx?WebSiteID=282&WebPageID=21809

#11 ·
Thanks all for your advice - much appreciated. I am missing the second part of my question though - what are some "gotchas" that I should be looking for, specifically in the '14 model. I know about the oil consumption predicament, although I can't say I noticed any in 6 years of owning the car - maybe because I barely drive it. Anything else?

#12 ·
I am missing the second part of my question though - what are some "gotchas" that I should be looking for, specifically in the '14 model. Anything else?
I think by not answering specifics they answered your second question...

Yes there maybe a few “reoccurring” type issues, but I would not consider them worth looking for trouble.

As said by others, use the savings to set up an emergency fund. If you happen to need it (all cars need some - but you drive so few miles!) great! If not, you will have a sizable portion down on a new car in a decade or so. I’d like to think you have one of the sturdiest, safest and most reliable cars built. As stated, there don’t seem to be many advancements worth taking on new payments.

Wait until the new fuel cars driven on water come out.😉

#15 ·
I loved my 2014 Forester Premium and just sold it with 110,000 miles on it. The new '19 I bought lacks several of the very nice features of the '14, but..... the new one has an easier clock setting system! I'm not thrilled with all the computer electronics in the new Forester. Unless you've had problems steadily, I would bank the payments you'd have with a new one and drive it longer. Mine was a very good car.

#16 ·
I'm more-or-less in the same boat - a 2014 Forester 2.5i Limited with under 40K (I work from home, so my commute is in feet - from one side of the house to the other)... Most of my mileage is local short trips (errands, stores, dinner out, etc., etc.) and a few long-range road trips (San Diego, Big-Bear, etc). My last payment will be in October.

My plans are to take that monthly payment and pay down other debt (including the CC used to buy all my upgrades!) and then save $$$ for the next thing ... more upgrade? Maybe... Big repairs? Maybe. 2022 Foz? Who knows....

Give our lower mileage, we have to be aware (as has been mentioned) to keep on top of the maintenance; my dealer has kept me on the "severe service" schedule due to my short drive trips AND my location - So Cal Desert.

#17 ·
I'd keep the car. Car payments suck! If the car still runs well, has low miles and does not have any known mechanical issues, i see no reason in going out and buying a new car and getting into another car loan. You are better off saving that money or investing it somewhere. Cars are like a money pit, worst investment in that it keeps losing value the longer you keep it lol

#18 ·
With only 40K miles that is essentially a new car. Keep driving the Forester. I also have a 2014 Forester approaching 150K miles. Big fix items were a new clutch and CV joints which I consider normal maintenance, plus a new $90 battery from Costco. I'll keep the car until it is dead. Out of all of SUVs I've owned this Subaru is the best in snow. I've never purchased a maintenance contract.

#20 ·
I have a 2014 XT with around 43,000 miles and also recently had to replace the AC compressor [first time i ever had to do that in a car] and have a few other issues to deal with at my next inspection like severe rust on the rotors.
So have been considering whether to move on or not. Some good advice here, and will probably hold on to it for awhile, especially since there doesn't seem to be other issues on the 2014.

#22 ·
Rotors and break pads are easy; there are quite a few good aftermarket parts one can get (even on Amazon) - and these are relatively easy to replace. But do not change the calipers, unless there is a major damage to those - Subaru OEM calipers are quite good.

I am not very comfortable messing with transmission fluid and such; may have to shell out some $$$ to the dealer.

#23 ·
Just paid off my '14 Premium and was debating whether to keep or sell, but couldn't find a compelling reason to part with it. In 44,000 city miles it's been dead reliable and remains a pleasure to own, having been faithfully maintained per the schedule. Last week I sprang for new tires, brake pads and the 6-year/60k service, and look forward to at least several payment-free years with a vehicle that continues to serve my needs beautifully.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.