Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

141 - 160 of 636 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring 2.5 CVT
1,571 Posts
I may be wrong but aren't all Forester's made in Japan in the same factory? The first digit of the VIN is the country of origin.
No, they are not all made in the same factory. The 11th digit in the VIN tells you witch factory and transmission.
This is interesting.
What two factories are there?
Which digit is which factory?
We could be tracing issues based on factory ID.

·
Registered
2017 Forester2.5i Limited CVT
799 Posts
The 11th digit determines which factory a Subaru is produced. SIA (US Built)
1: 6spd manual, awd
3: CVT, awd
FHI (Japan built)
8: awd CVT, Main plant
9: awd 6spd manual, Main plant
G: awd 6spd manual
G: awd 5spd manual, Yajima plant
H: awd and CVT, Yajima plant
*8: front engine/rear wheel drive (BRZ)
*9: front engine/rear wheel drive (BRZ)

·
Registered
2017 2.0XT Touring
114 Posts
Mine was delivered on Aug. 2 at the dealer. Does your Forester have issues? Use the VIN decoder site and compare the 11th digit in your VIN. 2015 Subaru VIN numbers, vehicle identification number
I have an H in the 11th position, so looks like Yajima plant.

Mine will be delivered 9/9. I was trying to get a sense (in advance) of where it was built and curious where yours was built as well to add an additional data point.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I have an H in the 11th position, so looks like Yajima plant.

Mine will be delivered 9/9. I was trying to get a sense (in advance) of where it was built and curious where yours was built as well to add an additional data point.
Yours is being built in the same plant as mine was built. Expect yours to come earlier. When I ordered Mine on May 20 I learned later there was a delay with EyeSight and was told it would be in by Aug. 12. It arrived at the dealer on Aug. 2 and I was able to pick it up on Aug. 3 due to vehicle prep.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,078 Posts
My XT-T has an H and has no problems at 1,500 miles

Someone more interested than me should put up a survey for 2017 owners:

2017 Foresters: Problems or No Problems in first 1,000 miles?
Looking at your 11th character of your vin (8, 9, G or H):
-8: No Problems
-9: No Problems
-G: No Problems
-H: No Problems
-8: Problem(s)
-9: Problem(s)
-G: Problem(s)
-H: Problem(s)

·
Registered
799 Posts

-H: No Problems 1,900= miles

·
Registered
2017 2.0XT Touring
114 Posts
Yours is being built in the same plant as mine was built. Expect yours to come earlier. When I ordered Mine on May 20 I learned later there was a delay with EyeSight and was told it would be in by Aug. 12. It arrived at the dealer on Aug. 2 and I was able to pick it up on Aug. 3 due to vehicle prep.
Good to know re: the plant it was built at.

I'll be very surprised if it's in before the 9th - though it doesn't really matter since we're out of town from 9/2-9/11 anyway :p

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT Limited AT
385 Posts
No, you can get Touring in Canada, but it's the second best trim.
I think this is for US spec Forester, as I also have my VIN, U, and also says touring, yet I ordered a Limited XT with ES and all, yet the VIN decoder says that I don't have ES, nor moonroof , etc...

I have full faith in my dealer that they ordered the right car!

·
Registered
2017 Forester Touring 2.5 CVT
1,571 Posts
Pretty sure Forester for North America is built only in. Japan, so if there's only one plant in Japan, then nothing to research.
Heard one reference of a Forester being built in Russia, but we aren't getting those, I sincerely hope.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Touring
7 Posts

My 11th character is an H, and I did have the Check Engine and Incline assist lights go solid along with flashing X-Mode and Cruise Control lights at about 150 miles. No reoccurrence and I'm at 435 miles now.

·
Registered
2017 XT Touring
31 Posts
I just picked up my '17 XT Touring with Eyesight on Friday and got to drive it a bit over the weekend. So far I love the car and the only gripe I have is that the Starlink/Audio/Navigation system in general is kind of slow and laggy. Perhaps it is because I'm used to the smooth fluidity of my iPhone but it feels really slow.

Other than that, I can't wait to finish the break-in so I can open her up and feel the power!

·
Registered
2017 Forester
3 Posts
It's strange this is happening with some Foresters. I wonder if it's a very early production issue or a factory issue depending on the factory. I have 1900+ miles on mine with no issues. Knock on wood. I decoded my vin and it says built at the Yajima plant. Look at the 11th digit and see if it's an 8 or an H.[/QUOTE]

Yes, my Vin does contains H letter on 11th. I just made an appointment with service center on thursday. hopefully, this wont be a big issue. I will keep it updated

141 - 160 of 636 Posts