Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In CASE you come across this annoying 'bug'
( I know .... Apples don't get worms .... etc ... )

Came home to this message tonight on our home PC, one I built over 7 yrs ago and have updated regularly. Kids and wife use it daily.

XP .... Home Edition running ..... Small red ball in lower right tray next to time with a white X in it. Says 'Click here to protect your computer from spyware '

Click here takes you to a website to BUY a vendors AntiVirus/Spyware software for $xx and it will remove all infections.

This is not a real infection, but an ANNOYING AD on my pc.

Ad Aware .... no help
Norton Antivirus ... no help
Even after updating both.

Found the site below and downloaded the recommended Malwarebytes. Followed all the directions and the infectious ad, along with a few other trojans are all gone.

Your computer is infected!

If this helps anyone .... then it was worth posting by me, and reading by you.

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,594 Posts
It's called scam software. They only made to make ppl buy software that does nothing. It's all for the money and it's annoying. This comes on the pc when ppl push on ad's on some sites saying run virus scan on your pc for free and you end up downloading and installing some stuff that finds loads of viruses on your pc but you can remove them by buying the full version of their software.
Typical name on such fake software are Antivirus2009. It just change as the years go by.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I've been using Malwarebytes for awhile. It's the first anti-malware app i run on infected pc's and most of the time it cleans them.

I have come across pc's that required multiple apps to clean them. In other cases they're so badly infected that formating and reinstalling the OS is easier!

This download site has some good spyware/malware apps:

Anti-Spyware Downloads - FileHippo.com

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,194 Posts
That's the nice thing about the Linux operating system...no viruses no anti-spireware required. I think its been at least 2 years with none of this crap.

·
Registered
1998 Forester
602 Posts
That's the nice thing about the Linux operating system...no viruses no anti-spireware required. I think its been at least 2 years with none of this crap.
Yeah...it's great except none of the apps I need to use everyday are available....not so great really. Wonderful for Web Servers though.

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,409 Posts
I'd probably use an Apple or Linux if the stuff I needed to do every day was supported.

Oh well.

Neither of my Vista PC's with NOD32 have gotten anything. Nor did either XP machine I had running NOD.

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,194 Posts
Yeah...it's great except none of the apps I need to use everyday are available....not so great really. Wonderful for Web Servers though.
True..I need a word processor, Acrobat,and FireFox so I'm good to go. If I needed more I would just have my son fix me a duel boot.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,813 Posts
A few years ago when I still ran Windows, I used the ZoneAlarm security suite. It was extremely cheap and kept my XP machine from packing up.

Since I've switched to Mac, but as far as I recall, ZoneAlarm kept my system pretty clean. But just about all the recommendations on this thread will work great for keeping your system clean.

·
Casper reincarnated
2,272 Posts
I use WinXP & Win 7 RC 7100 in a dual boot configuration with NOD32 v4.0 and Malwarebytes v1.40.

I haven't used XP for about 3months since installing (except to play old games) Win 7 but NOD & Malwarebytes have been there the whole time and both have found and stopped unwanted stuff, I like them both very much.

Occasionally (like last night) I will run Bitdefender Online to see if there anything that NOD32 has missed but it rarely finds anything, therefore I am happy with Noddy.
Malwarebytes has detected a couple bits of spyware that has snuck in under the radar and removed them so I'm happy using it too.

Win7 FTW too by the way.

·
Premium Member
12 Premium 5-speed
4,733 Posts
I spent a couple days fixing a friend's PC a few months back. The renewal / upgrade for one of the Norton Packages went haywire so the machine was acting a little goofy anyway, and then the machine was unprotected from whatever nasty crap his kids found when going to whatever BS sites that a typical 14-year old girl surfs. That was a fun one - first uninstall a borked Norton, which resists your every attempt to do so, and then get rid of the crap that found its way into the machine.

Finally got it working well and slapped on a few of these free protection programs. Works like a champ and they now save $50 of renewal fees every year.

·
Registered
2004 Subaru Forester XT 5 speed manual.
744 Posts
I work in IT at work.

Try this.
Download and install Superantispyware, and Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware.
Install then, update them, and run a full scan with each. use their recommended settings, and remove everything it finds.

Use a good Antiivrus, whatever you use will be fine, but for spyware, run 2(1 at a time).

·
Registered
2007 Mitsubishi Pajero 5spd Automatic
3,594 Posts
I work in IT at work.

Try this.
Download and install Superantispyware, and Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware.
Install then, update them, and run a full scan with each. use their recommended settings, and remove everything it finds.

Use a good Antiivrus, whatever you use will be fine, but for spyware, run 2(1 at a time).
I fully agree on this one 100% :biggrin:
I do this myself.

·
Registered
1999 Forester S w/AT
442 Posts
Malwarebytes is ,bar none, the best system you can use today. One of the very few systems that can get rid of Virtumondo (and all of its mutations).

Windows Defender, oddly enough, is really pretty good.

Best Anti-Virus is Nod32 and Kaspersky (take your pick)

Norton and McAfee are both way too bloated (system hogs) but McAfee has become very good recently in its effectiveness.

·
The Modfather
2016 BRZ Limited - Manual 6 Speed Manual
8,097 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts