Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, since I'm about days away from doing my VF39 swap (just waiting on an STI uppipe), a few guys told me to swap in a header or a posted STI manifold.

I did some searching for used manifolds and some guys want some pretty high $$$ for used STI stockers (and there are not that many for sale). $150 is about the lowest I've found, but I still get huge shipping quotes (some have been over $100) because I live in Canada. I've gotten ported STi header quotes for $360 shipped as well. Crucial won't take an FXT manifold for a core. Shipping is pretty high due to the weight.

So, I'm left thinking about an actual header. Mad Dad is about $500 shipped with an uppipe. This is pricey to me as I've spent enough on the FXT myself. The Gruppe-S header is $425 shipped (and I would use the stock STi uppipe).

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=996388

Looks like they dyno fairly well on a Stage 2 STi.

What are your thoughts? I would be getting an uncoated header to keep costs down. Any issues with these?

Any useful info is appreciated. I've done some searching here and on NASIOC. The responses are typical: stay stock, go ported or my header is amazing. No general consensus other than Borla's crack and so do ebay cheapos.

·
Registered
2004 FXT
830 Posts
I've had bad experiences trying to source headers too... they are HEAVY... so shipping cost will be expensive.

Another local FXT who had STI headers installed saw a few degrees more advance at the higher RPMs... low RPMs didn't seem to change much...

Is the few extra ponies worth all of it ? IT wasn't to me, so I'm with the stock fxt headers... I like the low end grunt anyway...

·
Registered
2010 dodge caravan auto
1,748 Posts
I found headers (Symms) on my old ver4 made a huge inprovement it did cost me a lot for shipping but it was worth it. it got me 20whp on the dyno. (have paper to prove it)
it is worth it from my point of view

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I got lucky and scored a sti header for $75 canadian local.

I've heard people mention the wrx header is the same as the sti. If so, I'm sure you can get a wrx header cheap.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the WRX header and LGT header is the same as the STI unless they revised the STI's.

Crucial said they would take a WRX/STi/LGT header as a core as they were all the same. But I don't want just a WRX header. I doubt there are big gains in just swapping in this.

I want the revised STI header that they revised for more midrange in mid 05 or so.

·
11 sec club
04 Cayenne TT
1,486 Posts
I got my Borla off of nasioc so you may try shopping on there.
Right now I'm waiting on delivery on the Maddad header myself since the uppipe will be better matched.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am looking on NASIOC.

I don't think I'm going to wait for a header prior to install though, but if it's icing on the cake, I'll still do one.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
Be sure to read this thread to ensure compatibility with your uppipe if you happen to be buying an 05 STi header.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Already have. Seems like the late 05's and 06's got a revised header.

Gruppe-S said the header would bolt right into to the FXT with the uppipe. The MadDad header come with an uppipe as well.

I am more concerned on this being a really worthwhile mod and want to avoid issues such as cracking or extreme underhood temps.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
1,362 Posts
I got an 04 STI header w/ 4k miles on it and a NEW HKS Uppipe for $120 shipped off nasioc. I still think it was the greatest deal known to man. The header is much less restrictive and my car sounds and performs great w/ the Stage 2 setup.

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,536 Posts
I got an 04 STI header w/ 4k miles on it and a NEW HKS Uppipe for $120 shipped off nasioc. I still think it was the greatest deal known to man. The header is much less restrictive and my car sounds and performs great w/ the Stage 2 setup.
That is an amazing deal. The cheapest that I've seen is $150 plus shipping. I am currently running the STi headers and UP on my block until I can get my GTSpec headers and UP installed.

When that happens, I'll be selling the STi headers and UP. Right now they have a total of 300 miles on them as they were new when installed. Sir William already has first dibs on them if/when I sell them.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is the WRX manifold the same as 04/early 05 STI's? According to crucial they are. I just find it odd because STI manifolds are double what WRX manifolds cost used on NASIOC.

I can pick up a WRX manifold pretty cheap and I already have an STI uppipe.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT
16 Posts
I removed the stock manifolds from my '05 FXT and "upgraded" to the '05 STi parts. The STi parts were obviously larger and less restrictive but the 'ol butt-dyno didn't tell me much. FYI, my car has a VF39, protune, etc.

I'd be happy to sell you my STi manifold set up as soon as my APS headers arrive :rock:

Rob

1 - 14 of 14 Posts