Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sat on the M5 the other day in the 2 lane 30 mph average speed camera roadworks going nowhere as usual. This roadworks is celebrating its birthday soon. It was meant to have taken 18 months. In January this year it was 2 years old and no end in sight for completion. Anyway, as I crawled along I noticed on. The road work side a speed camera van. What was that all about? I eventually joined the M 6 northbound about a week later. Then in the average speed camera roadworks just south of Stoke, I noticed another one. I asked my customer in Stoke if they knew what that was all about?
They all laughed.

Apparently, Plod had complained that the construction traffic on the road work side was going too fast.

The construction company have put in a speed camera van to enforce 15 mph speed limit!

Mad, you couldn’t make it up.

ATVB

Alan

·
Registered
134 Posts
Apparently, Plod had complained that the construction traffic on the road work side was going too fast.

The construction company have put in a speed camera van to enforce 15 mph speed
ATVB

Alan
They're maybe on a special bonus if they get finished before its third birthday lol, so trying to work faster :wink2:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Could the slowdown enforcement been an effort to maintain construction worker safety? That is a question, not an attempt to be critical. I don’t know anything about the specific construction project mentioned.

On this side of the pond, we have a serious problem with inconsiderate, reckless and inattentive drivers (yacking on the darned phone and texting!) causing wrecks and needless deaths of construction workers in construction zones. The road rage that is caused by drivers being impatient for a few miles and a few extra minutes while driving through a construction zone is hard to understand. I have known many instances when the police have disguised themselves in construction vehicles to be the eyes for some very effective enforcement efforts. Frankly, I applaud those efforts.

After all that, in the relatively small community that I live in, there is construction seemingly everywhere! I have four distinctly different routes that I can choose to get to and from work each day. This year they ALL have construction on them with more planned for later this summer. It can be a challenge to maintain one’s calm, cool, level-headed demeanor at times. I get it.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I've heard of speed enforcement vans for construction vehicles in roadworks - Those tipper trucks are usually paid a daily rate plus a bonus for any extra loads they move per day, so it is in the driver's interest to not hang around if they can.
There's a certain post/parcel carrying company in London where they have speed cameras in their yard to keep the trucks and vans under a certain speed - It is all gated off and no access to the public

Health and Safety gone mad

If only they could set the cameras to ticket people doing 25 in a 40 and 40 in a 60 zone......

·
Registered
195 Posts
Slightly different, but related ridiculousness...

I was driving back to Devon from Reading, so it was either M4 or M5... they had an average speed zone 30mph, not a worker in site, traffic wasn't bad but just rolling along, anyway, continued out back into 70mph, for a while as the night grew darker, very large site lights appeared in the distance, lane 1 closed, workers all around digging up a large stretch, no change in speed limit, national avg allowed...

Makes you wonder who dreams this stuff up...

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Been driving up and down the disaster that is the M11 near Cambridge for several years @ 39mph. I thought I saw some work going on once but I might have been hallucinating. Again.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Sounds like some things never change! Are you talking about the section of the M5 where it kinda resembles a clover I think? For the three years I lived out near Cambridge, the A14 was some of the worst for the longest when I was there. Speed cameras within meters of eachother.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Our public transport is one of the worlds most rubbish, antiquated, cesspit, squashed, late, cancelled, on strike and a target for them home grown ………

I hope that answers your question.:thumbsup:
Yea, but if you are stuck driving 15 MPH? Yea, I'd bike or move closer or shoot myself in the face... or something.

·
Registered
257 Posts
In the colonies, we have started to have cameras now for tolls. Kinda foresee in the future we adopting your speed control on the highways. It really does annoy that nowadays people are more concerned to drive a car to MAKE good time than to HAVE a good time.

·
Premium Member
1,219 Posts
I live in the boonies so I don't care that much …. but if I were the new prime minister id go for more infrastructure.
sod the green belt (with in reason)

Off topic and I apologise @TMX is there something your not telling us ,

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Maybe not relevant, but Ive seen the absolute opposite extreme of health and safety (absence) on roads under construction : a few years ago (not that many) after a week with work in Hyderabad ( home of the Biryani!) I was in a taxi about 1 or 2 am to go from the city to the airport, when they were building a new dual carriageway to link the two. Trouble was, they'd finished both ends but still had a few miles in the middle to finish- for this section, only one of the 2 carriageways was finished, or at least surfaced, and the other side untouched ground. So how did it work? Taxi motoring along in the dark at 60 or 70 passing unlit Bedford and Tata tipper trucks full of rock ( driver explained they don't put their lights on to make the bulbs last longer!), then he brakes and swerves across into the other carriageway. ( as if crossing into oncoming traffic). There were literally 2 x 7 foot square concrete blocks with arrows painted on them marking the current end of the "first" carriageway. I didn't even see them until we were passing to the right of them! The next few miles was a sort of contra flow in the dark but without any lighting and without any cones up the middle, and unlit construction trucks traveling both ways on the one dual lane carriageway. After a few scary miles, he swerved back onto the newly built left side of the dual carriageway up to the newly built airport extension. Apparently this sort of thing is normal, or at least expected, over there.
Changed my outlook a little.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
13 Participants
TMX
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing