Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Administrator
14,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Message from @03Bee

I have a 2008 X that I'm looking for a better exhaust. A lot of what I've found is kind of expensive, as I can't go too crazy I guess... But I found this: Amazon.com: Yonaka Compatible with 2004-2008 Subaru Forester XT Stainless Steel Performance 3" Catback Exhaust (Turbo): Automotive
From what I have seen on other posts about this topic, it can be difficult to mount this XT exhaust on an X. So, my first question is if anyone knows the midpipe diameter and the catalytic converter pipe size? and, would I be able to attach the Yonaka midpipe to the stock cat-pipe?
I also am wondering if there is any other modifications I would have to do to the hangers, if the XT ones are different from the X, as well as if there will be enough back pressure for this to still work.
Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2008 Forester X
1 Posts
Any luck yet, Kevin?
I’m in the same exact situation. I’ve been researching catbacks for the X for almost two weeks now. I was going to pull the trigger on the Yonaka and just go for it with an adapter, but I’m second-guessing myself. Please let me know if you’ve found a solution.

·
Registered
3 Posts
exhaust from the 01 bodystyle 2.5 impreza bolts up like stock. I have headers and everything from a 2.5 rs, just needing longer hangers in the rear. It is about 4 inches shorter or something but o well. tsudo have a catback around that price but the donut gasket mount is flipped, would need welding still. Cheaper to have a good shop make you one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
From what I have heard the pipe diameter now on the X is 1.75 inches, except for the muffler tip which is 2.25 inches, so I'm just not completely sure if going from 1.75 to 3 as a catback would be the greatest in terms of backpressure. Another key thing I found was that the flange is 15 degrees off when attempting to put on the catback on an X. Same bolt setup, just angle difference :(. I am leaning towards having a shop fabricate everything up, but I just want to make sure there wouldn't be any issues with that, as the car needs some of the stuff from the exhaust like previously said, backpressure. Exhausts aren't really my thing, so I could be wrong, but mainly its what I've found from other forums who tried putting catbacks on their XS or X, though they weren't yonaka catbacks...

Looking at the tsudo exhaust, it looks good, I dont see any issues with angles or anything else, but @PartiallyPurple you said that it is 4 inches too short. I guess since they would need to weld up some stuff I could have them put in 4 inches so then it's spaced out correctly. Any issues in terms of the resonator getting in the way of stuff? I have heard it is an issue sometimes with the N/A foresters.
Thanks,
03Bee

·
Registered
3 Posts
@P03Bee They would just need to extend the tip a bit, I haven't on mine and it's fine. Hanger and bolt wise I would assume nothing get's in the way. I don't have a Tsudo exhaust, I have their header mated to a stock 2.5 or 2.25 STI exhaust that came directly off a 2.5 RS. There is plenty of room for their res to fit though. Again, probably cost you the same to have a shop weld up a 2.25" catback with a magnaflow or something.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts