Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys/gals,
I know I havent posted here in a while, but I still browse and research stuff. The point of this thread is to show my tire upgrade from the stock 17" wheels and 225/55/17 Geolander HT95A to these 16" WRX wheels and 225/70/16 Geolander ATS.

Heres a before and after. Sorry for the crappy Iphone pics.

After

Front has ZERO fitment issues

You also gain about 1 3/4 to 2" in ground clearance by my very unscientific measuring. I used the body line where the black plastic meets as a reference point.

After

These are the WRX wheels I picked up off Craigslist for $125. I cleaned them up and painted. I used regular rustoleum "gunmetal" rattle can paint and VHT wheel clear. They turned out pretty decent. I primed and sanded the wheels first.

Primed

Painted and Cleared

Ready for install

Rear mounted

Rear clearance is kinda tight, about 1/4 inch at the front wheel well plastic guard. This is something a heat gun and a hammer can mitigate.

Final

Oh and just for reference. These are my weights. Note these OEM tires have 92K miles on them. I said it right....92 thousands freakin miles on them. Say what you want about these OEM tires. Ive never seen a tire get that many miles and be as dependable as the "geo-squeelers" If I was going OEM I'd spring for another set of these. I know they arent high performance, but Ive never had an issue with them.

OEM Geolander HT95 worn down on stock 17" wheels at 45.4 lbs

New 225/70/16 Geolander ATS on WRX wheels

92K on OEM

Thanks for looking. Ask me any questions if you have any. Im very happy with the way they look and the ride. It is a little softer. Im sure its because of going from the old 17s to the new 16s with AT tires. Im totally OK with it. My forester isnt a street racer and I definitely wanted more off road grip. These tires have great reviews and Im completely confident they will handle the forest roads and beach excursions perfectly. I dont notice a huge difference in acceleration. Like I said, I dont peel out or race anyone. They might be a little slower on an on ramp but not much really. MPG might suffer a little but I dont have many miles to determine that yet. I'll report back later with some findings.
Take care guys!

·
Registered
2009 forester xt TD05-18g 4eat
591 Posts
Looks great if possible give us an update on the enjoyment of the wheel and sizing.

·
Registered
2000 Impreza, 2003 Bugeye Sport, 2010 Base, 2014 Base, 2015 Premium, 2017 Limited, 2020 Touring
1,020 Posts
Nice job on the wheels, but up here where I live, just with stock wheels and tires, we get the old "wheel well packed with snow and ice" syndrome quite often, and have to poke it out with a snow brush handle etc. I can't imagine lowering the clearance any more on my two Subies.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey guys,
thanks for the compliments. Ive had ZERO fitment issues with them. They handle street and off roading (muddy fire road type stuff) no problem. I love this set up. I have sacrificed some MPGs due to drag and heavier tire combo, but to me the piece of mind for having grip is worth it.

Heres a vid I just uploaded from the snowstorm this past week. 16"+ of snow fell in charlottesville and the forester/Geolander combo was awesome.

·
Registered
2013 Forester Auto
5 Posts
Hi
Great mods and great pics!

I just purchased a 2013 Forester that looks to be the same as yours.

Many of our backcountry (old forestry and mining) roads in the mountains here in BC Canada have deep cross ditches to divet water away so I'm very interested in putting better/larger tires on the vehicle to improve ground clearance and am also considering adding a 2" lift kit.

Was wondering if you are still happy with your decision to go with the 225/70/16 Geolander ATS... now that more time has passed?

Thanks again!

·
Registered
279 Posts
I just got myself a pair for my sg, 08 fxt.
215 70 16. Fits like a dream, zero issues rubbing so far.
These tires are suprisingly quite. When it was cold morning (cold for socal at 50'), i heard a very gentle hum. But , its insignificant.

Great tires!
Everybody get them!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts