Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
sorry, can you clarify? is that on the 18" wheels or 17"?
I've been running the AT/S tires, but keep them maybe 2-3psi above what's on the door, which I think is like 30 front ,29 rear. when discount puts them higher than 35, it feels like I'm riding on wooden wheels.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Im on the same boat here.

Looking to put 225/55/R18 98H on my 18" rims on XT 2018. Curious if it was confirmed if these have any rubbing issues at all?
Currently on the stock standard Dueler's.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Why hasn't there been much discussion on getting these in 15"? I have a 2011 FXT and my default 225-55-17 leave me wishing for more sidewall for general light off-roading and big nasty LA potholes...and for you know when our big earthquake comes ;)

I'm looking at 15" MR502's and the G015's, but why is no one else going 15" and trying to keep 17-18? Just for size appearance?

Side note, I'm running a 1.5" lift from Primitive/King Springs.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Why hasn't there been much discussion on getting these in 15"? I have a 2011 FXT and my default 225-55-17 leave me wishing for more sidewall for general light off-roading and big nasty LA potholes...and for you know when our big earthquake comes ;)

I'm looking at 15" MR502's and the G015's, but why is no one else going 15" and trying to keep 17-18? Just for size appearance?

Side note, I'm running a 1.5" lift from Primitive/King Springs.
Because this thread is discussing 14-18 MY and we couldn't fit 15" over the brakes, that's why.

·
Registered
6 Posts
After some searching it looks like 36-39psi is suggested.
Exactly in that range, I have been running it at 39 on highway, and closer to 35-36 when off on some long distance drive over dirt roads or during winter.

On a side note, I have the 215/65R16 for my 2011 (stock size/rims), and I LOVE these tires. I was destroying A/S tires from various companies with the amount of off road driving that I would do, specifically out in the Mojave and Great Basin where rocks and gravel will absolutely eat up your tires. So far I have drive 30k on the new formula and they're working great. Nice and sticky on compacted snow and ice when out in mountain passes, and gripped like hell during some of those hard PNW rainstorms. Nothing quite like a tire that can take abuse of 55+ mph runs on dirt roads for over 100 miles. I am probably going to roll with these again over Generals or KO2s and move up to the 215/70R16 size for a little bit of extra tire lift.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Looks great. How are the clearances on the outer guard and inner wall at full turn ?

Thank you
The clearance on the front and rear are fine. It’s like pinky finger space between the outer guard and inner wall. “No rubbing” at all on full turn. Definitely recommend this tire size for this wheel dimension if you wanna go bigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Because this thread is discussing 14-18 MY and we couldn't fit 15" over the brakes, that's why.
15" Rally-type wheels fit fine for '14-18 2.5i models. Lots of posts on here with people running them. The XT has larger disc brakes which prevents fitting 15" rally wheels. I haven't heard of any NON-rally-type 15" wheels that fit the 2.5i's though.

Popular choices are Motegi MR139, Black Rhino Boxer, and Method MR502. All of those come in 15x7 versions with a +15mm offset. The Motegi's also come in a 16" with +40mm offset.

The Black Rhinos are a few pounds lighter (16.0lbs) than the other two (both around 19.8lbs ea) but at the cost of a much reduced load capacity (1250lb vs 2100lb) which may or may not be an issue depending on how hard you're thrashing.

For the 15" rim size, you can get two sizes of KO2's (215/70R15 = 27.7", barely bigger than stock; and 235/75R15 = 28.8"), and the G015's (235/70R15 = 28.0"; and 235/75R15 = 29.0").

With the lower-offset +15mm of the rally wheels it does sound like you're likely to run into rubbing issues at slightly smaller diameter tires than with stock +48mm or aftermarket +40mm rims.
I've read that the 28.8" KO2s rub a bit at full lock (whereas you can get away with 28.9" or 29.0" on higher offset without much rubbing), and that without a lift they can rub against pinch welds behind the arches in the rear under full compression.
I've also read that for such minor rubbing, you can zip-tie the front wheel arch liners to various mounting holes from behind to pull them the needed 1/4" or so away to prevent rubbing.

But going to a full 29" or 29.1" diameter tire on a +15mm offset will probably require some more involved modifications (hammering flat pinch welds seems to be the trick, which doesn't prevent the tire from rubbing the plastic molding, but does prevent a potential tire-slicing hazard if the pinch weld pops through the molding).

I'm about to buy a set of Motegi MR139 and 235/75R15 KO2's... so I don't have any hands on experience, just have been reading way too much before I pull the trigger...

Edit, here's a good video of a guy with ~29" tires on a stock suspension '14 forester going over fitment and rubbing, etc :

·
Registered
94 Posts
Im on the same boat here.

Looking to put 225/55/R18 98H on my 18" rims on XT 2018. Curious if it was confirmed if these have any rubbing issues at all?
Currently on the stock standard Dueler's.
I just replaced my old duelers with the g015 today. i like how they look and so far so good. Shouldn't be any rubbing. they are the stock tire size that came with my vehicle.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just replaced my old duelers with the g015 today. i like how they look and so far so good. Shouldn't be any rubbing. they are the stock tire size that came with my vehicle.
Nice, love the look.

Ended up doing the same and went with stock 225/55/18. Mileage is still great at approx 24mpg/9.8 l/100km

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yokohama G015 Flatspotting

Has anyone else noticed the tendency of their G015s to develop flat spots when parked overnight? The problem is more noticeable when temperatures get into the 30s or 40s (°F), or when they sit for more than a couple of days. People who live in hotter climates or drive on rougher roads may never notice the problem, and it usually goes away completely after a relatively few miles of driving.

Many years ago, Nylon ply tires were notorious for major thumping in the morning. As steel, fiberglass, aramid and other belt/ply materials generally replaced Nylon in tire construction, complaints about morning tire flatspotting more of less disappeared. However, it seems that Nylon/polyamide has been making a comeback of sorts in specialty/performance tires such as the Yokohama G015, which has a single Nylon tread ply. The design engineers apparently felt the benefits outweighed the drawback in this case, and the use of single Nylon belt wsn't going be anywhere near as bad as the multiple Nylon ply thumpers of old.

As things warm up where I live, I look forward to the problem being less noticeable, but decided to do a test while the morning temperatures were still in the 40s. On one of the routes I can take from my house, the first mile is on recently resurfaced, extremely smooth asphalt roads with fine aggregate topping and no patches. When starting off cold with the G015s on, a vibration can be felt through the steering wheel at about 40 MPH. It's quite noticeable, enough so that one might think something was seriously wrong with the car if they didn't know what was going on.

If I take a 2 mile circular detour and go back over the same stretch of smooth pavement (now at 3 miles since start), the vibration is almost gone, only noticeable to someone trying hard to detect it.

If I take another 2 mile circular detour and go back over the smooth stretch (then at 5 miles since start), everything is smooth as silk.

When researching the G015s before I bought them, I did find a reference to them flatspoting on another forum, but they were LT size tires on a truck, and I know those are sometimes made differently.

Several things tend to confirm Nylon tread ply flatspotting as the culprit with the G015s:

1) My G015s are well balanced, as they preform fine when warmed up, and at speeds that would be problematic if they weren't.

2) My Nokian Hakka' winter tires don't exhibit any such behavior over the same stretch of smooth road, even when it gets seriously cold.

3) If I take a different route when leaving the house where the road surfaces are older/rougher and the speed limits are 30 MPH, I don't feel
the problem at all. Many who drive under similar circumstances will think I'm making the flatspotting problem up.

I can easily live with this temporary minor annoyance now that I know it's not hurting anything.

I love my G015s, they pulled me out of a mudhole last week that filled one of my foglights up with gunk (defective safety relief vent?). I live in the middle of top 4 US cities of 100K or more population with the most snowfall:

All Snowiest US Cities | Golden Snow Globe National Snow Contest Snowiest US City Pop 100,000+

so I've had a chance to compare the G015s to my Nokian Hakkas in snow and they're certainly way better than a typical AW tire (though not really close on ice).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is anyone running these in 225/60-17 on stock rims? Just looking to swap my original tires out for something the same size with more off road ability.

·
Supporting Vendor
858 Posts
Is anyone running these in 225/60-17 on stock rims? Just looking to swap my original tires out for something the same size with more off road ability.
Being that is a stock size you would have no problems running this tire. It will give you some additional off-road stability. Shoot us a PM if we can help.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts
About this Discussion
79 Replies
40 Participants
Discount Tire
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing