Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2017 GMC Canyon AT CCSB 8 speed
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Any ideas about this? I've seen the 225/60/17 be a close fit, so I have a feeling the 65's will not work.
I don't have a 2011 to test on, but if the 225/60/17 (which is 27.6" diameter) is close, then the 225/65/17 (which is 28.5" diameter) will probably not fit. Compared to the stock 225/55/17, That's an extra 0.85" of tire clearance needed.

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT
5 Posts
Snow and Ice?

5000 miles on my Geolandars now...still super happy with them.

Since they were only introduced in April this year has anyone had any experience with snow and ice so far?

They are rated for winter (mountain and snowflake logo) just wondering if they are any good.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I think I've got about 8k on mine since June. No snow yet, not even a really hard rain. We will be getting some snow in the next few weeks, so I will be able to see how these do.
This was part of the reason I got them though, so hopefully they live up to the snowflake logo.

·
Registered
2011 2.5X Limited AT
125 Posts
I don't have a 2011 to test on, but if the 225/60/17 (which is 27.6" diameter) is close, then the 225/65/17 (which is 28.5" diameter) will probably not fit. Compared to the stock 225/55/17, That's an extra 0.85" of tire clearance needed.
That's what I figured.

I'd be surprised if the new version is significantly better than the old anyways. I already have a set of dedicated winters, so I'm really just looking for something a bit more aggressive than stocks for the other 8 months of the year. Not doing any true off-roading, but I there have been quite a few times when an AT tire would have added some piece of mind.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well, I was pretty unimpressed with these today in the snow. We got a couple inches, but it was wet, slushy stuff, and it froze over pretty quick after it got dark. It didn't take much throttle to get the tires to break loose, and did not inspire confidence when turning and braking. My wife has the BFG KO2s on her new Wrangler, and she said they did pretty well, but there was still a few places they slid... so I am not 100% sure these tires were at fault. I'll update a little more with the next snowfall to see if it is the same story.

·
Registered
2015 FXT w/ Eye Sight CVT
26 Posts
No to both questions.

My fully deflated 235/65/17 does not fit and the 235/60/18 is a hair larger.

My tires do no rub after my 1.5" lift.
GeoJosh - What lift did you use? I'm thinking of going to 235/60/18 and using one of Primitive's lift kits to stop the rub, but not sure whether to choose their 1.1" or 1.6" solution. What do you think?

I'll post this in the other thread too in case anyone there knows which would be best.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.0D CVT
96 Posts
Hey!

I have a 17' Forester with 225/60/17 and no lift. I prefer the G015 due to 012 because of the winter certification but they are only in 225/65/17. Someone know if they will fit? Anyone tried it? I think it will be a nice change because you gain some height but I don't know if the will cause any trouble or any damage. I don't know much of tires, suspensions, diffs...

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,859 Posts
@kutavyz - they should fit but may rub a little when you turn sharply, but that isn't a problem. They aren't large enough to cause differential or transmission issues. Only thing is your speedometer will read slight slow compared to your actual speed.

Diameter is very similar to what MonkeyRacer shows at the beginning of this thread, so expect similar fitment.

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.0D CVT
96 Posts
@kutavyz - they should fit but may rub a little when you turn sharply, but that isn't a problem. They aren't large enough to cause differential or transmission issues. Only thing is your speedometer will read slight slow compared to your actual speed.

Diameter is very similar to what MonkeyRacer shows at the beginning of this thread, so expect similar fitment.
Thank you so much!

For the moment, I'll wait a little more to change the tires and will see if Yokohama or any other brands launch more dimensions, I will prefer to keep the stock dimensions for warranty reasons.
One last question. The different diameter of the tires could cause a malfunction on the ABS, ESP and X-Mode systems? Due to calibration reasons, I mean.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Thank you so much!

For the moment, I'll wait a little more to change the tires and will see if Yokohama or any other brands launch more dimensions, I will prefer to keep the stock dimensions for warranty reasons.
One last question. The different diameter of the tires could cause a malfunction on the ABS, ESP and X-Mode systems? Due to calibration reasons, I mean.

Thanks again.
With almost 10K on these Tires, I have not seen any issue with ABS, ESP, Eyesight, Active Torque Vectoring, X-Mode, or anything. The only time you will have an issue with a system is when you can one tire at a different diameter compared to the rest (example - spare tire).

If I could justify getting 17's also (adds like $500 to the cost of tires), I would totally get the BFG KO2s in 225/65/17, but for now, these work okay, and give the aggressive tire look I was going for.

·
Premium Member
12,859 Posts
Downside of BFG KO2 tires is their weight, which is substantially higher than other tires of equal diameter.

My tires are 235/65/17 and I haven't had any issues with Eyesight, x-mode, VDC, or ABS. That isn't to say it is impossible the larger diameters have an impact. From my experience, any impact is negligible.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Downside of BFG KO2 tires is their weight, which is substantially higher than other tires of equal diameter.
True.

OEM Bridgestone Dueler H/L 400 (225/55 R18): 25 lbs

Compared to other 18's:

Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 (235/60 R18): 34 lbs (+9 lbs, 36% heavier)
General Grabber AT2 (255/55/ R18): 34.5 lbs (+9.5 lbs, 36% heavier)
Toyo Open Country A/T II (255/55 R18): 35 lbs (+10 lbs, 40% heavier)
Nitto Terra Grappler G2 (255/55 R18): 35 lbs (+10 lbs, 40% heavier)
BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 (255/55 R18): 44 lbs (+19 lbs, 76% heavier) - This is 9 lbs heavier than the other 255/55s or 25% more than the same sized tires!

Also to compare the common 17's:

Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 (225/65 R17): 29.8 lbs (+4.8 lbs, 19% heavier)
Toyo Open Country A/T II (235/65 R17): 32 lbs (+7 lbs, 28% heavier)
Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10 (235/65 R17): 32 lbs (+7 lbs, 28% heavier)
Cooper Discoverer A/T3 (235/65 R17): 34 lbs (+9 lbs, 36% heavier)
Kumho Road Venture A/T51 (235/65 R17): 34.3 lbs (+9.3 lbs, 37% heavier)
BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A K02 (225/65 R17): 39 lbs (+14 lbs, 56% heavier)

The KO2's are the heaviest of each size group. This is due to the thicker sidewalls, and meatier tread blocks I assume.
Keep in mind, these sizes are a little mixed, and some, especially the 255/55 R18's, are unlikely to fit without rubbing or modifications. Most of these tires are in the 35 lbs range, and adding un-sprung weight and rolling mass are typically detrimental to the performance of a car. Here, the trade off is off-road capability.

·
Premium Member
12,859 Posts
Yeah. The KO2 is a great tire, but beyond what most people in a Subaru would ever need.

I think the other options, such as Toyos, Hankook, Geolandars, and Generals, offer a better balance of street and off road ability that fits or vehicle niche.

·
Registered
2015 Forester 2.0XT Tour
28 Posts
True.

OEM Bridgestone Dueler H/L 400 (225/55 R18): 25 lbs

Compared to other 18's:

Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 (235/60 R18): 34 lbs (+9 lbs, 36% heavier)
General Grabber AT2 (255/55/ R18): 34.5 lbs (+9.5 lbs, 36% heavier)
Toyo Open Country A/T II (255/55 R18): 35 lbs (+10 lbs, 40% heavier)
Nitto Terra Grappler G2 (255/55 R18): 35 lbs (+10 lbs, 40% heavier)
BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A KO2 (255/55 R18): 44 lbs (+19 lbs, 76% heavier) - This is 9 lbs heavier than the other 255/55s or 25% more than the same sized tires!

Also to compare the common 17's:

Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 (225/65 R17): 29.8 lbs (+4.8 lbs, 19% heavier)
Toyo Open Country A/T II (235/65 R17): 32 lbs (+7 lbs, 28% heavier)
Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10 (235/65 R17): 32 lbs (+7 lbs, 28% heavier)
Cooper Discoverer A/T3 (235/65 R17): 34 lbs (+9 lbs, 36% heavier)
Kumho Road Venture A/T51 (235/65 R17): 34.3 lbs (+9.3 lbs, 37% heavier)
BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A K02 (225/65 R17): 39 lbs (+14 lbs, 56% heavier)

The KO2's are the heaviest of each size group. This is due to the thicker sidewalls, and meatier tread blocks I assume.
Keep in mind, these sizes are a little mixed, and some, especially the 255/55 R18's, are unlikely to fit without rubbing or modifications. Most of these tires are in the 35 lbs range, and adding un-sprung weight and rolling mass are typically detrimental to the performance of a car. Here, the trade off is off-road capability.

I am looking to replace my 225/55R-18 YOKOHAMA GEOLANDAR A/T-S which have 35K miles and are worn out. I had a sidewall blowout in the first week (maybe a defective tire) and have been nervous ever since on rocky Forest Service roads half way up a mountain.

I'm thinking of moving to 17" wheels and would like a sturdy tire that won't require a lift or other adjustment. Will the Coopers or the Toyo Open Country work? And do any of the 18" ones you list have a sturdy sidewall?

I also have no idea about wheels if I move to 17".

thanks

·
Premium Member
12,859 Posts
I'm thinking of moving to 17" wheels and would like a sturdy tire that won't require a lift or other adjustment. Will the Coopers or the Toyo Open Country work? And do any of the 18" ones you list have a sturdy sidewall?

You will rub a fair amount when turning if you try to put 235/65/17 tires on a stock XT. Mine is lifted 1.5 inches and still rubs a little at full lock.

You could run a 225/65/17 tire with less rubbing on stock suspension, or you could go down to 235/60/17 and not rub.

For wheels, you will probably want a 17x8 wheel with +40 to +30 offset, ideally. Anything greater than +40 will put your tire in contact with the spring perch on the strut. Check out my journal for info on my setup: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f115/geojosh-s-lifted-14-xt-journal-282330/

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
You will rub a fair amount when turning if you try to put 235/65/17 tires on a stock XT. Mine is lifted 1.5 inches and still rubs a little at full lock.

You could run a 225/65/17 tire with less rubbing on stock suspension, or you could go down to 235/60/17 and not rub.

For wheels, you will probably want a 17x8 wheel with +40 to +30 offset, ideally. Anything greater than +40 will put your tire in contact with the spring perch on the strut. Check out my journal for info on my setup: http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f115/geojosh-s-lifted-14-xt-journal-282330/
Take a look at the dimensions again:

As a note, the 235/65/17 Geo G015 are the same dimensions and would fit exactly the same as these.
From rimsntires.com:

As I said in the OP: the 235/65/17 will fit EXACTLY the same as 235/60/18, and I only get rubbing on the fender liner at full steering lock, which you only use at a low speed, so you are just barely rubbing plastic and rubber at a low speed. No big deal. Otherwise, no rubbing at all, and no issues with the spring perch with a +48 offset (stock) wheel (see pics in first post). This is why all the sizes I listed with the weights were 235/65/17.

If you use a smaller offset wheel (meaning it pushes it further away from the steering king pin axis, thus increasing your scrub radius), the tire is more likely to push into the fender liner earlier in the steering cycle.

I am looking to replace my 225/55R-18 YOKOHAMA GEOLANDAR A/T-S which have 35K miles and are worn out. I had a sidewall blowout in the first week (maybe a defective tire) and have been nervous ever since on rocky Forest Service roads half way up a mountain.

thanks
Between the Coopers and the Toyos, I personally would go with the Toyos, GeoJosh has them and can speak to them a little more though. I think the G015s are supposed to have a little thicker sidewall than the Geo A/TS's, but I can't confirm that.

I don't know about the sidewall differences between the 18s on the list in the above post. All of them are All Terrain tires, which typically have a tougher sidewall, and my guess is the KO2 will have the thickest sidewall, otherwise I don't know why they are heavier.

Yeah. The KO2 is a great tire, but beyond what most people in a Subaru would ever need.

I think the other options, such as Toyos, Hankook, Geolandars, and Generals, offer a better balance of street and off road ability that fits or vehicle niche.
The funny thing is my wife has a '17 Jeep JK Wrangler Unlimited with KO2's (came stock with the cold weather package), and my Forester will end up seeing much more off road use than her JK with KO2s. So, while I agree, really any of these tires will probably be good for what a typical Forester needs, the KO2s are one of the top for those that do actually want to take the vehicle off road.

I found a great deal on some 17x7 +40 rims near me, but still haven't justified the cost of the tires when the Geo's work just fine, and have a lot of tread life still on them.

·
Premium Member
12,859 Posts
As I said in the OP: the 235/65/17 will fit EXACTLY the same as 235/60/18, and I only get rubbing on the fender liner at full steering lock, which you only use at a low speed, so you are just barely rubbing plastic and rubber at a low speed. No big deal. Otherwise, no rubbing at all, and no issues with the spring perch with a +48 offset (stock) wheel (see pics in first post). This is why all the sizes I listed with the weights were 235/65/17.

If you use a smaller offset wheel (meaning it pushes it further away from the steering king pin axis, thus increasing your scrub radius), the tire is more likely to push into the fender liner earlier in the steering cycle..
I would personally run the 235/60/17 on stock height, but you can fit the 235/65/17, as you said.

The stock XT wheels are 18x7 +48. To get an 8 inch wide wheel to fit the same, it would need to be +35 offset. As I am running, an 8 inch wheel with +40 offset is extremely close to the spring perch.

Regarding the Toyo Open Country AT2, I am extremely happy with them. Tread wear thus far seems to be much better than the Geolandar ATS were on my stock wheels. I would either pick the Toyos or the Hankook Dynapro ATM if you were to run a 235/65/17 tire size.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts