Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had originally wanted to get either BFG KO2s, Toyo Open Country A/T, or Nitto Terra Grapplers in 255/55/18, but without some work that I wasn't willing to do, they wouldn't fit.
The next option for an A/T tire in something that will fit was typically 17" rim based. I actually like the OEM 18's, and didn't want to spend the extra money for wheels (although I might have been able to sell the OEM's to recover that expense).
Looking at what others on this forum have done, there are the old Geolandar A/Ts in the OEM size, but I wanted a 29" tire and they are being discontinued.

Then I find the new Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015's, which is a replacement for the old Geo A/Ts. Looking through the sizes, they make this in 235/60/18 which should fit the FXT.
These are A/T tires, and also rated for severe snow, which is important here in Colorado.

Here are the specs on the tire:

yokohama.com said:
PART#01528
LOAD I.D.: XL
UTQG RATING: 600/A/B
UNIT WEIGHT (LBS): 33.0
RIM WIDTH (MEAS): 7.0
RIM WIDTH (APPR): 6.5 - 8.5
OVERALL WIDTH (INCHES): 9.3
OVERALL DIAMETER (INCHES): 29.1
TREAD WIDTH (INCHES): 7.1
TREAD DEPTH: 12
STATIC RADIUS (INCHES): 13.3
REV/MILE: 713
MAX LOAD AT COLD INFLATION PRESSURE (LBS. @PSI) SINGLE: [email protected]
TYPE: BW
As a note, the 235/65/17 Geo G015 are the same dimensions and would fit exactly the same as these.

These tires are 8lbs heavier than the OEM Bridgeston Dueler H/L 400's (but the same weight as the 235/55/18 Dueler H/L Alenza Plus that I had on before these).

With some help from rimsntires.com:

rimsntires.com said:
Suspension clearance:
Package 2 is 5 mm (0.2'') closer to suspension/brakes components. Acceptable for most cars.

Fenders clearance:
Package 2 will stick out 5 mm (0.2'') farther. Acceptable for most cars.

Wheelwells clearance:
Will fill out the wheelwell by extra 17 mm. Make sure that you have enough room under the fender. If not, consider lower profiles or smaller rims.

SPEEDOMETER:
When speedometer reads 60mph (96.6km/h) actual speed will be 62.9mph (101.3km/h): 4.8% faster.
So, everything looks good there.

After waiting for the backorder to arrive, I got them installed:

And what about clearance?
Here's the strut clearance:

That's close, but enough gap to allow for tire expansion at speed, tire flex over a bump, etc.

There is a small amount of rub on the front part of the fender liner at full lock:

This is why the wider 255/55/18 tires would not fit, the outside face of the tire is an extra 10mm further out, and would hit the fender liner, and probably the mud guard. (And may hit the strut on the inside without spacers, but spacers move the outside of the tire even further out.)

Here's a shot of the tread pattern for this size since any other picture I've seen is just an "example" tread:

So, overall first impression is good. Tires are quiet on the road, and seem to be good with dry traction. I don't notice the extra weight of the tires since the Alenzas that were on before were this weight.

I've only got 50 miles on them so far, but I will add a review after going softroading next month, as well as when I put more miles on them, and again when it snows here or if we get a heavy rain.

If you have a set of these on your 14+, post up your experience with them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Looks great! Seems like Yokohama is replacing general for the AT tire of choice

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
monkeyracer, I have this tire in 225/65/R17 on my '15. I've got a few weeks and 1500 miles on them but no rain yet. I lost a few MPG over the stock tire and the ride is not quite as smooth but it's only noticeable when I think about it. I'm not a fan of the loss of highway handling (100 mile daily commute) but the gravel, dirt, field, and rock handling is superior. Since those are the roads I live around and enjoy exploring I'm happy with the switch. The worst road they've seen so far is made of fist-sized rocks and mud but they brought me through fine. I'll admit that I did chicken out on day 1 when I tried a mud road but felt a slip just a car length in. When I've got someone with me to help dig it out I'll find that one again.

From the pics I can't be sure but I think the 17 has more "armor" on the side wall.

I think the 10mm less width in the 225 saves the tire from rubbing at full turn but only barely.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From the pics I can't be sure but I think the 17 has more "armor" on the side wall.

I think the 10mm less width in the 225 saves the tire from rubbing at full turn but only barely.
It does look like the 17 has more sidewall protection, thanks for the pics and your info on the tire.

Your tire is 28.5" diameter, so that may also help clear from rubbing at full lock. The 225/65/17 seems to be a good option for those wanting larger than stock, but with absolutely no rubbing.

For me, I don't ever notice the rubbing, and will only be running full lock at low speed, so I am fine with it.

I got stuck in some nasty mud with the OEM tires last year in Moab, UT:

I had to leave my wife and two dogs in the car with the A/C on, walk about a mile barefoot (my shoes got ruined in the mud) to find someone with a truck big enough to pull me out of the mud. The front bumper was slightly damaged getting pulled out too. It was not a fun experience, and now the wife says I "moab'ed it" if I do anything stupid.

I think these will handle mud much better than the OEMs, but not the kind of mud I got stuck in. Really, there's not many vehicles or tires that would have been able to get through that stuff, it was so thick and sticky.

·
Registered
286 Posts
pretty happy with mine

can't say the noise has increased significantly, ride is a tad rougher and while I initially thought I'd lost some gas mileage, I think that was more due to winter driving changes to fuel and what not. fule is aabout back to normal at this point.

I've been overall happy with them and have about 7k on them now.
I also got a fifth tire/wheel, and so far have found doing the 5 wheel rotation pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
53 Posts
How are you storing the spare? I can fit a full size 225/60/17 in the spare bay without the foam utility tray and still have the storage floor lie flat, but barely. Any larger tire would require some sort of lifted storage floor.

·
Registered
286 Posts
carrying

so I actually got mine mostly so I wouldn't get stuck with the doughnut offroad. so I just keep the the standard doughnut in the regular spot, as that's perfectly ok for my daily comuting use, and put the fullsize in the back when I go offroading. means I carry a hair more weight, but then my recovery options offroad are fullsize, small spare and repair kits.

hoping to eventually carry it in a roof rack once I get one of those.
part of the reason for that, is I use that little foam thing under the back cover to carry a lot of recovery, tools, outdoor stuff. so I didn't want to lose that space.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have these size 225/65/17 mounted on 2016 crosstrek wheels.

i think they're awesome. handling is as good as stock duelers and they seem 99% as smooth and quiet on the hwy. my commute is 80 percent hwy and twisty backroads, the last 20% is steep, unpaved, rough and washboarded.

Have driven in all conditions except snow so far and am very happy with my choice.

zero rubbing btw.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you think a FULLY deflated 235/60/18 G015 would fit in the spare tire compartment? I already have a compressor, but I'm curious to know if the spare would fit.

Also, would rubbing still be an issue if there was a small 1-2 inch lift?

·
Premium Member
12,859 Posts
Do you think a FULLY deflated 235/60/18 G015 would fit in the spare tire compartment? I already have a compressor, but I'm curious to know if the spare would fit.

Also, would rubbing still be an issue if there was a small 1-2 inch lift?
No to both questions.

My fully deflated 235/65/17 does not fit and the 235/60/18 is a hair larger.

My tires do no rub after my 1.5" lift.

·
Registered
5 Posts
what could be the weight of one tire 225/60/R17? and what is the OEM Bridgestone Dueler H/L 400 weight in 225/55/R18? is it worth to swap R18 to R17 to get some more comfort?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Very slightly straying from the original topic, but does anybody have input on these GO15's in 225/65/17 fitting on a 2011?

I was all set to get the AT/S, but then realized the GO15's are the updated version of that tire. Unfortunately, it looks like it isn't offered in 225/60/17 like the AT/S.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've tried talking to the folks at Yokohama about this a few times, but all they will say is that there will be new tire sizes announced for the GO15 but cannot say what those sizes will be. That announcement is supposed to be sometime in 2016. I waited as long as I could since around here snow can come at any time, but flinched and decided to just go with the AT/S tires as my OEM's were totally shot.

It could be that there is still a warehouse full of 225/17-60 AT/S's that they want to get rid of before announcing a same-sized GO15.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Will keep fingers crossed then. Don't think you'll be disappointed in your at/s tires though, mine are doing well on and off road and are wearing well. Can't speak to snow yet though as a last year was a bit disappointing in nm

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
About this Discussion
79 Replies
40 Participants
Discount Tire
Subaru Forester Owners Forum
We’re the best Subaru Forester Owners Forum to talk about the best years of the Subaru Forester, modifications and reliability history of the Subaru Forester.
Full Forum Listing