Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yo,
I have had my 2004 xt for a little under a year now, and I freakin love it. I have a pretty strong desire to start modding it here and there, but I have average mechanical knowledge, so we are taking it slow. I plan on cold air intake, bigger inter-cooler, cat back exhaust, and some minor exterior/interior add ons and replacements. Any and all help suggestions are more than welcome.
Jarad

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,432 Posts
Welcome! Save your money on the CAI, it won't make one hint of a difference without a tune.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha, thats why I am here. Thanks for the advice. So if not the cat, then which direction would you advise in the exhaust dept?

·
Premium Member
'09 STI
4,128 Posts
Downpipe and a tune will make the most improvement. Intake is mostly noise until you start upgrading turbos. Brake pads and better tires are next.

·
Registered
2000 Forester L NA auto
576 Posts
pleiad7 Welcome! Save your money on the CAI, it won't make one hint of a difference without a tune.

haha, thats why I am here. Thanks for the advice. So if not the cat, then which direction would you advise in the exhaust dept?
I think what she is saying is avoid the Cold Air Intake for now.

oh, and welcome

kenny

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,825 Posts
Yo!Welcome

Glad you made it here for some of the best advice you will ever get regarding your Forester. Check out this thread http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f87/how-go-faster-than-sti-cheap-8337/

And this one 'cause in my opinion to go faster, this is more important http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f70/how-turn-better-than-sti-cheap-10696/

Now that you've joined you may want to add some vehicle info to your Signature. That way it'll show up every time you post making model specific responses easier. Just use the pull-down menu in Quick Links, Edit Signature and add basic info like year/model/transmission which also will help everyone here. You also might consider adding a more regional location other than just Washington, you might find someone closer than you think that shares your enthusiasm for Forester's.

Cheers
Doug

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Ooooh, I see. Yeah, I was looking at the post on my phone with a not-so-adaquate screen. So thanks for the input again, waiting on the Intake. Next upgrade is most certainly going to be rally armor mud flaps (I rock a lot of gravel roads and my paint is suffering). After that, I am going to continue to pick your collective brains, but downpipe and a tune is probably high on the list. I do want a little of that boxer burble though, so exaust may follow. Thanks again all! I was wondering if anyone had any input on 90k and 105k tunes through the dealership. My fozz just hit 90k and they want $900 for this milestone and probably $1300 for the 105k (mostly because of the timing belt change). Just pay the piper? I know that our dealer in the tri-cities has the only master certified subie mechanic in the area. Thanks again!

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,497 Posts
Welcome! There sure are good Forester roads in SE Washington! I'd even try a winter drive up Lewiston Hill or the nearby, even more impressive, Whitebird Hill in a Forester. Not to mention the offroad opportunities.

I'm puzzled by your reference to 115k maintenance. Timing belt is due at 105k miles. That's the big one; all other scheduled maintenance is easy DIY (and often simply a rather costly 'inspect'). You can find the entire maintenance schedule at cars101, which is a great source for lots of Subaru info.

You might want to check the sticky that I've posted at the top of this forum for some fundamental info about your Forester. There's a link there to a list of suggested things that it's wise to have done while the engine is opened up for the upcoming timing belt job.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I meant 105k. You are right about the good rally roads in EWA. My favorite so far is the road down to the Grande Ronde from Asotin to Bogans. Its a steep windy mother, but very fun.

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,497 Posts
It scared the pants off of me the first time I arrived at the top of Lewiston Hill from the north, surveyed the view, noted all the winding switchbacks below, and suddenly realized that they were the road I was on! I got used to it, but was again taken aback when I encountered Whitebird Hill on the way to Vegas a year or so later. That is one big hill!

·
Registered
2004 fxt A/T
2,567 Posts
I would go to a catless up pipe first. Who knew Randy Jackson drove a Foz?:biggrin:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts