Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 292 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 5MT
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

Have been a member a few months now since I picked up my MY06 XT 5MT. Nothing really happened till now though, and wanna keep a bit of a record so it's time to start a thread.

Picked the car up from Sydney and drove it back to Canberra at 3 o'clock in the morning, and coming from a junk heap VT Commodore auto I had a stupid grin on my face the whole trip! :icon_wink:

After getting stuffed around by the ACT Rego folks for a week or two (normal practice for them apparently), it was registered.

Not too long after I bought it:

Current pic (will try to remember to keep this updated as things change):

...Also, my photography skills got a bit better!

First mod ever was a Kartboy delrin shiftknob with thanks to Entra... Had never heard of Kartboy before getting the Foz!! 🤷

Anyway, this thread will not be action packed like some others on here, but i'll update as stuff happens.

Thanks for looking and comments, criticism, tips etc are all welcome!!

Feb 2013 - Replaced bearings
Feb 2013 - Installed BC Racing BR Coilovers
Feb 2013 - Wheel alignment
Feb 2013 - Blacked out grill
Mar 2013 - Installed Subtle Solutions fender braces
Apr 2013 - Painted stock muffler black
May 2013 - Fitted Hitech diff back
Jun 2013 - TurboXS Stealth Back
Jun 2013 - Kartboy Short Shifter and TiC Holy Shift Kit
Sep 2013 - Installed '06 WRX seats
Jan 2014 - 24mm swaybars and rear strut brace install

Makes it go:
Stock block and 5MT
VF30
Killer B Oil Baffle and Pickup
Tomei timing belt guide
Gates timing belt kit with water pump
Process West TMIC and splitter
Turbosmart Kompact BPV
Injector Dynamics ID1000s
Grimmspeed 3 port
Logpro Silicon - Radiator, SFB and intake
Deutschwerks DW200
Competition Clutch stage 2 with light flywheel (total garbage, to be replaced)
Group N Engine Mounts
Group N Pitting Stopper
TurboXS turbo back 3" stainless exhaust
TCP stainless diff back

eTuned by Steve @ Pullz-On Tuning for 98 and E85
Virtual Dyno = 221kw/436nm on 98 and 248kw/516nm on E85

Makes it stay on the road:
BC Racing BR Coilovers
Enkei RPF1 - 18x8 +45
Nitto NT05 - 245/40R18
Whiteline BSF33XZ 24mm Forester front adjustable sway bar
Whtieline BSR37XZ 24mm GDB STI rear adjustable sway bar
Whiteline KBR21-24 GDB STI rear heavy duty sway bar mounts
Whiteline KSB590Q Rear quick release strut tower brace
Subtle Solutions front fender braces

Other cool stuff:
Bugeye STI Scoop
AEM UEGO Wideband/Boost Failsafe Guage logging to Tactrix
Kartboy shortshifter
Kartboy rear shifter stay
Kartboy front shifter stay
Turn in Concepts 5MT linkage bushings
Turn in Concepts pivot bushing
Whiteline W92829 Front gearbox crossmember pad bushings

Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40
Motul Gear 300

Parts to be installed:
STI Foz lateral links (with HID leveller bracket)
STI 06 front control arms (with HID leveller bracket)
STI trailing arm mounts
Group N transmission mount
Kartboy Outrigger comfort
Kartboy trailing arm F & R bushes
Whiteline KSB750 subframe lock bolts
Whiteline KCA313 RCA Kit
Whiteline KCA414 rear camber bolts
Nolathane steering rack bushes
Cusco Mastercylinder Brace
Saiko Michi oil catch cans x 2
Xtreme HD clutch w/ stock flywheel

STI Brembo front calipers
WRX 2 pot rear calipers
WRX rear hub backing plates
Braided lines

BNA Solutions Guage Pod
Speed hut Gauges - oil pressure and water temp

Parts Coming:
KAP Industries fire extinguisher brackets L and R
Need some daily rims to clear Brembos - thinking Work Kiwami 18x8.5 +38 in GTS finish with 245/40R18 random tyres.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 5MT
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Not too long after getting the car and after returning from holiday I noticed a vibration in the car. It got a little worse over a week, and I decided I better check it out!! :)

To start with I thought i'd rotate the tyres to check for any changes, and that's when I found the FL wheel bearing was beyond screwed. That weekend we set about pulling it apart, and found the axle nut on that side was loose and the bearing was destroyed. Ordered replacement bearings and hubs for both sides from SubaruGenuineParts.com which arrived last week. Approx half the price that Subaru Aus wanted, and that's including postage to the other side of the planet!

Didn't bother installing them right away, cause I picked up some BC Racing BR coilovers for the car too and figure I'll chuck the whole lot in, in one weekend before getting it aligned the week after.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 5MT
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Waiting for parts to arrive... No room in the garage (which is right in front of the car), cause the RX-7 was up on stands too in the middle, so I couldn't move it!

Found this while waiting... No idea how it happened, as the car had been sitting as above for a couple weeks. :evil:

It's on the drivers side across both doors, and the rear door is slightly dented.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 5MT
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Bearings were replaced and coils were installed.

Got a wheel alignment the next day.

Here's a 'we're halfway there shot'... Had to turn the car around in the driveway! :)

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 5MT
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Alrighty...

Got it aligned the next morning. Now several months later, I plan to get another alignment with some different settings.

At the time I wrote this...

So far with the BCs set to:
Front - 10 from soft
Rear - 6 from soft

It rides basically like factory most of the time, but with the advantage of heaps more grip through corners and much flatter. It needs swaybars and some bracing... There's some extra creaking noises in the chassis now! :lol:

Heaps better than factory though. And apologies for the photos being a bit bright, by the time I was snapping some photos it was 1pm with glaring sun, and am using an iPhone.

This shot was before alignment... It's now basically maxed for camber and caster. The crash bolts are set to neutral though, so there's the possibility of more camber there if I want it.

The guys at the alignment shop didn't bother to undo the lower strut bolts on the rear strut and move it to reduce the extreme neg camber compared to the other side... It's sorted now though.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 5MT
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Late 2012 on the way to a wedding a bird flew in front of my car and broke a couple of the spokes on the grill... A couple weeks later an OzFoz member was selling his black painted grill for a good price so thought it an excellent opportunity to fix this issue. I wasn't sure how a black grill would suit a black car, but it looks pretty good imo.

Might need to do the blacked out headlights mod...

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 5MT
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Grabbed some Subtle Solutions Fender Braces from another member and had good weather one day so went outside and chucked em in.

Install wasn't too involved except tightening the bolts was quite awkward with little access. Prob easier to take the fender off entirely, but I've read it's no problem doing it this way, so went for it.

Basically, take the wheel off and pull the liner back to get access. Remove the black foam thing that seals between the fender and inside the door jam area.

There are two small stickers covering the holes between the door hinges. Peel 'em off cause we'll need those threaded holes.

Up on the frame (roughly above the line of the struts) is two threaded holes from factory that we'll also use.

Once it's all installed it's completely hidden, so no pics. I've only taken the car around the block to test, so I don't have much of an opinion yet. Although, one thing I always notice when leaving my driveway is a little, unpleasant clunk noise when the turned front wheel comes off the lip of the driveway down to the road surface (about 20mm), and I think that has improved slightly... :? So, maybe they do something. I'll add more comments after living with them for a week or so.

Now they've been in for ages, I agree with myself ^ :) Car just feels a little tighter, and they're a valuable part of an overall package (that I haven't finished yet).

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 5MT
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
It's probably a common problem, but I had noticed the paint on the face of my standard muffler was flaking off, so I decided I'd give it a quick hit with some VHT Caliper Paint in satin black. Decided to do the tip too. Going full stealth.

It was a little bit of a rush job, because I intended to replace it not too long after with a TBE. Still came up good though.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 5MT
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I was rotating tyres one day and lowering the back a smidge and discovered one of the BCs out back was leaking pretty savagely. They were almost 2 months old at time! :(

Also threw some silver indicator bulbs all round... No more orange glow!! :)

In other news... I had also been trying some self tuning... So far so good. Big learning curve though, and going very, very slow. No O2 gauge, so can't really do too much anyway. Just fumbling around RomRaider etc, and reading heaps.

Lastly, I chucked some WRX rims on to see how it looks. Didn't really do too much for me, maybe down to the obviously wrong tyre size. I was sorta thinking of plastidipping them white or something, and getting appropriate tyres. I am due new tyres very soon anyway.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 5MT
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Had to get some new tyres... And grabbed some subframe lock bolts and rear camber bolts (both of which are still sitting in the garage).

Tyres are Kumho KU31 in stock size.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 5MT
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Managed to get a used exhaust. It's a 3" stainless TurboXS stealth back and a Hitech diff back. I had wanted this combo partly based on others high praise for the muffler combined with pretty much any aftermarket dump and mid... Figured how could I go wrong!! :D

At this point I'd only installed the diff back to get the rumble, as I figured I'd wait to install the rest till I got a wideband gauge and if needed install its bung. Ended up installing the exhaust and still haven't got wideband!

The sound was great though, and not too loud which is exactly what I wanted. Too old for obnoxiously loud cars these days! Been there done that. Muffler section has since been replaced by a TCP Auto diff back, to get a little quieter.

^ RX-7 eventually came off the stands!

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 5MT
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
This was the first time the Foz had ever been inside the garage!! Planning to install dump and mid pipes, and it was starting to get a little chilly around this time so I want to do it inside in case of inclement weather!! :)

Had to push the RX-7 out though...

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 5MT
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
What a weekend that was too. A bit of a marathon effort due to various PITA bolts and stuff.

Anyway, got the rest of the TurboXS Stealth Back exhaust installed. Flashed in a Stage 2 tune, did some logging and everything wasgood. Not a huge difference, but the tune was safe. Had a dyno day coming up in a couple weekends time, so would get a number. The exhaust made the car a little louder but with a much more aggressive note to it when giving it some. Sounds great, but not sure if it's a little too loud for me. Will give it some time before making any decisions about it though.

While the exhaust was out of the way, made a snap decision to purchase and install a short shifter and bushes. Thanks to Nick at Entra.com.au for being awesome! I ordered: WRX 08+ Short Shifter, TiC Holy Shift Kit (Wide) and TiC Crossmember Bushes. I was an idiot and didn't get a Group N mount.

^ I dropped the front shifter bushes on the floor before taking this pic, so they're missing... They got installed though!! Lol!!!

Install went smoothly, except I didn't have the correct size punch to get the roll pin out of the shift linkage. After getting one of those, no problems. The shift feels really good, but took a few days to get used to having it much shorter. Can't comment on what works well, etc because it all went in at once!! Feels good though.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 5MT
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Attended a Dyno day and got some numbers:

145.7awkw!! :icon_redface:

Works out to 195hp

Not too bad for self tuned, with an exhaust. Need to start saving for a VF34. ;)

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 5MT
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Now we're catching up to only a couple weeks back. Had this stuff to do over the X-Mas break. Only managed to get the swaybars and strut brace installed. Was too busy!!

Should make a difference!

There is:
Rear strut brace
STI Foz rear control arms
24mm RSB
Heavy duty swaybar mounts
Rear camber bolts
rear subframe lock bolts

Braided brake lines
4 pots
Roll centre correction
24mm FSB

That's about it.

·
Registered
2006 Forester XT 5MT
769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Got these installed last week and snapped a couple pics this morning... Boring pics though.

Whiteline rear strut brace with quick release. Quality was poor IMO, but it has a noticeable effect on the car, so not going to complain too much. I think I'll paint the strut brace wrinkle black at some point.

Front swaybar, drivers side. Soft setting.

Rear swaybar. Middle setting. I think the soft setting will clear everything, but it would place the end links at less than a 45* angle from horizontal, which I think would stress them hard. Currently on middle setting, but I'll swap to hard setting this weekend probs. Still need to install the STI rear control arms too, but need the opportunity to wheel align afterwards so will have to wait till I can spare the time.

STI Mounts... Haha, autofocus hit the mudflap clip... Anyway, slightly blurry STI HD mount... Bokeh!!!

All in, it's a significant improvement in handling. Makes the KU31s seem much better than they were before. Understeer reduced heaps, and turn in feels much better. Can still induce understeer with the loud pedal, but it's much more balanced. I still get some roll, which I hope to improve with the RCA kit, and I plan to raise the front end about 5mm too.

Now just need to find time to install rear camber bolts, rear subframe lock bolts, rear control arms and get a wheel alignment (although considering DIYing it for fun).

1 - 20 of 292 Posts