144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Next weeks schedule - Upgrades for the 2005 XT

Parts in the box

Grimmspeed PnP STi exhaust
Grimmspeed gaskets
Sti Uppipe
Cobb Down Pipe
Full STi Exhaust (Want Quiet Im old too:icon_razz:)
STi TMIC and bpv
New gaskets and hoses from Subaru
New VF48 on the way (Thats the Yikes Wife does not know) I'll pay!!!
Cobb AP ( I wish there was a better tune out of the box)

When I get off duty on Wednesday moring the car is going up on stands and not coming out until its all done. I will not have my scoop and splitter for a few weeks but I am in line for a painted one on the other site. I know there are lots of turbo options and thanks to all of you that have made suggestions! I wanted new, quick spool, and the Subaru dealer is right up the street if it craps out. I am not looking to wring out every last pony possible.

Ill keep ya posted! If you don't hear from me for a while send the police to my house because my wife did it!:mob:

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT SOLD
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I put on Swifts and Perrin bars in January just after I picked up the car. No Brakes yet. How low are you going? I guy here in the Reno area has STi suspension and "pink" sway bars if that helps. Subaru Parts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT SOLD
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just had a tuner tell me I could "blow" my motor running the Cobb map with this setup because it was too lean. Please chime in on that comment. I will get a pro tune but scheduling the drive over the Sierras might take a while. I thought the Cobb VF39 map was fairly close for the VF39/43/48, conservative, and rich?

·
Premium Member
2007 Forester XT 4EAT-VTD
2,138 Posts
Mike, even using the recommended part lists exactly as described, OTS maps will rarely get you the best performance and if you run it hard, may be risky in some cases.

FWIW, my car went from 100% stock to VF48, STi TMIC, PnP exhaust manifolds and 3-inch TB exhaust in a weekend. I drove the car over 200 miles without any EM (stock map) to the tuner without a problem - you just need to stay out of boost and not go much over 3000 RPM.

The tune makes or breaks the entire process. If possible, time the installation of the hardware around getting a tune, even it it means waiting a little longer.

BTW, I saved the $700 on a AP and went with open source. It has worked out just fine so far.

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,050 Posts
No Walbro? Does the 48 stay within the fuel system limits? This might change my search.
A VF48 will work fine with the stock fuel system but like any turbo if you max out the injectors and pump with the tune, that is on the tuner. Won't hurt to upgrade the injectors and/or fuel pump...gives you some headroom regardless.

·
Forum Member
2004 FXT
952 Posts
I put on Swifts and Perrin bars in January just after I picked up the car. No Brakes yet. How low are you going? I guy here in the Reno area has STi suspension and "pink" sway bars if that helps. Subaru Parts
I'm going to put her on swifts. If that isn't low enough for me and my driving style, then ill upgrade from there.

Gotta put on the rsb and fix/figure out this oil leak (bad hose i think).

Wanna throw up a picture of yours sittin' on swifts? I'd be very much appreciated. :woohoo:

·
Registered
2007 FSTI and X 6 MT
22,252 Posts
A VF48 will work fine with the stock fuel system but like any turbo if you max out the injectors and pump with the tune, that is on the tuner. Won't hurt to upgrade the injectors and/or fuel pump...gives you some headroom regardless.
the stock pump is sufficient for the stock injectors. If you go bigger on the injectors, you will want to upgrade...
This maybe true but for $100 bucks I went ahead and threw it in.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts