Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT A/T
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, Ive been reading the numerous speaker/sub upgrade threads for my 09FXT and ended up buying the Kicker TCVT84 sub/enclosure as seen on Fliptwister's thread. to my dismay, the sub did not fit under the seat because i've got the seat heaters...about 1-1.5 inches too tall. Any ideas on a sub that would fit and be just as good or should I go with a custom built enclosure? Many have mentioned the Kenwood underseat sub, but does it sound as good as the Kicker? I know the Infinity Basslink would be great, but I don't want to sacrifice any cargo space as it is utilized often. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT A/T
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks cannonshooter, interesting install. I may have to consider that when all is said and done.
I took a trip to the local cartoys (which I hate doing solely because of price) to take a look at the setup. They recommended a kenwood kfcxw800f sub with a custom enclosure for a total of 169.99 for the speaker and 375.00 for the box...needless to say I will not pay that much for something I could fine elsewhere for at least half the price. Any suggestions on where to find a reasonably priced custom built enclosure?

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
Hey guys, Ive been reading the numerous speaker/sub upgrade threads for my 09FXT and ended up buying the Kicker TCVT84 sub/enclosure as seen on Fliptwister's thread. to my dismay, the sub did not fit under the seat because i've got the seat heaters...about 1-1.5 inches too tall. Any ideas on a sub that would fit and be just as good or should I go with a custom built enclosure? Many have mentioned the Kenwood underseat sub, but does it sound as good as the Kicker? I know the Infinity Basslink would be great, but I don't want to sacrifice any cargo space as it is utilized often. Thanks for your input!
I can make you a custom enclosure if you want. I've done a few :biggrin:. Might be easiest to just remove the speaker from the box it is in and redo the enclosure so it fits perfect under your seat.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT A/T
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How much space have you got?

Check the Infinity Basslink (9.5" high), or the Kenwood KSC-SW10 (less than 4" tall).
The only place the Infinity would fit (hidden) is in the tire spare well as canonshooter had done. I havn't heard the Kenwood in person, and worry that I would find it a bit weak after awhile. I really want to fit a decent 8" under the seat which I know now is possible, its just finding an enclosure to fit the sub.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT A/T
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can make you a custom enclosure if you want. I've done a few :biggrin:. Might be easiest to just remove the speaker from the box it is in and redo the enclosure so it fits perfect under your seat.
I removed the speaker today and the enclosure was built fairly tight depth wise for the sub, that speaker just isn't gonna work. Anyone (without seat heaters) interested in the sub?
Looks like the only two that will work are the Pioneer TS-SW841D or Kenwood Excelon KFC-XW800F, both mounting at or under 2 3/4". I'm leaning toward the Pioneer, any suggestions or experience with the two?
I will obviously be needing an enclosure built, how did your turn out?

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,100 Posts
I removed the speaker today and the enclosure was built fairly tight depth wise for the sub, that speaker just isn't gonna work.
Looks like the only two that will work is the Pioneer TS-SW841D or Kenwood Excelon KFC-XW800F, both mounting at or under 2 3/4". I'm leaning toward the Pioneer, any suggestions or experience with the two?
I will obviously be needing an enclosure built, how did your turn out?
Are you trying to fit it under the driverseat or the passenger seat? The passenger seat should have a lot more clearance assuming you have your driverseat at the lowest level.

I've used the Pioneer shallow mount subs a few times, and I really like results with them. I've never used the kenwoods, but I've heard good things about them too.

I make kits that mount 8" subs in the rear hatch panels of 98-08 Foresters, but I haven't designed one for the 09 models yet. I could create one for your car, or make an under the seat box if you wanted. I did an under the seat sub for my 98 Impreza and I really liked how it sounded. It wouldn't be too difficult to make one for your car.

·
Registered
41 Posts
There is also the Pioneer Premier UD-SW8U enclosure, which is just under 5" deep. It is made for the Pioneer Premier TS-SW841D.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT A/T
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There is also the Pioneer Premier UD-SW8U enclosure, which is just under 5" deep. It is made for the Pioneer Premier TS-SW841D.
Without the grill that enclosure comes close, its 1/4" less than the kicker, unfortunately I still need to make up about another 3/4". A custom enclosure is the only way this is gonna work.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I didn't realize the seat heater took up so much space! Well, it sounds like you're in good shape for a custom enclosure - sea-scooby seems to have lots of experience.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts