Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT PP
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ah, that lovely "automatic" climate control on my XT... oh how I despise the thing. I am planning on doing the mod posted on Peaty's Scoobymods board but haven't gotten around to it yet. Regardless, though, I can't seem to moderate the vent temperature EVEN IN MANUAL MODE! I can either blast frigid air when the temp dial is set full counterclockwise, or scorching hot air even one click over. The issue seems to subside on very long trips after things warm up significantly. Anyway, I know the auto climate control function sucks donkey in this car, but is anyone else having these sorts of issues when running the climate control manually???

·
Captain Obvious
2005 Forester XT 4EAT
379 Posts
I have the same exact problem. Getting temperate air out of the system in manual mode is quite the challenge. Most times I wait until the car warms up, set the temp control to coldest, then nudge it up one click... and then when it gets too hot I open a window for a while.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
There must be somthing wrong with my car as the climate control works perfectly, and I never have to touch anything.

·
Registered
2005 FXT PP 4EAT
2,772 Posts
I don't know.
Maybe it's because it's always warm/hot here and the system runs mostly in A/C mode.
My auto climate control works perfectly.

·
Harbor Fright
2005 XT
363 Posts
Cooling mode is OK- it's the too-hot heat mode in the winter that I don't like.

I never run it in 'auto' anymore- just keep it on the lowest heat setting, then drop it to outside air when it (inevitably) gets too hot- which it does unless it is ~20F or less outside.

It's just like in the office- there is no one 'right' temperature for everyone. Some peeps have space heaters under their desks, while other have fans running year 'round. Guess it's time to move (farther) North...

·
Ze flying Russian
2007 STI
2,008 Posts
The whole system is a complete wacko. I don't even use the automatic climate control, I set the temperature manually, but even this is a big PITA.

In the winter when I cruise on a highway the air becomes uncomfortably colder than I set it to, when I drive on regular roads, accelerate often, the cabin soon becomes an oven and I have to turn the knob to the coldest position for some time. This is just ridiculous.

I recently had to rent a small Chevy Avia, and boy, I enjoyed its air ventilation system ... nothing fancy, it didn't have no auto climate control, but the thing simply WORKED. Every notch I turned the knob for I could feel the temperature is slightly changing, and it stayed the same regardless of the driving conditions. My previous Impreza was the same way so I have no idea how Subaru could screw up this one so badly. Shame on them. :?

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
29,459 Posts
I don't know how Subaru could screw the pooch so bad with the climate control... I mean, the ACC in our '94 SVX is as close as perfect as you can get. Digital temperature readout, adjustable at the push of a button, and dead-on perfect. It's literally set-it-and-forget-it. It's super quiet too, even in defrost mode. The Forester climate control is downright primitive in comparison.

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
Dave T said:
There must be somthing wrong with my car as the climate control works perfectly, and I never have to touch anything.
Mine seems to too (though I haven't driven it in summer yet).

-- Steve

·
Casper reincarnated
2,246 Posts
It must be a NA thing as mine works Ok up here in Nth QLD too.

·
Ze flying Russian
2007 STI
2,008 Posts
pleiad7 said:
I don't know how Subaru could screw the pooch so bad with the climate control... I mean, the ACC in our '94 SVX is as close as perfect as you can get. Digital temperature readout, adjustable at the push of a button, and dead-on perfect. It's literally set-it-and-forget-it. It's super quiet too, even in defrost mode. The Forester climate control is downright primitive in comparison.
we already have a few 06 FXT owners here. I'm eager to hear their opinios on their ACC/air ventilation system.

·
Ze flying Russian
2007 STI
2,008 Posts
Casper said:
maybe it's just a non-US market thing? :twisted:

·
Registered
2006 Forester
30 Posts
Aleksey said:
pleiad7 said:
we already have a few 06 FXT owners here. I'm eager to hear their opinios on their ACC/air ventilation system.
It sucks, I have to fight with it to stay comfortable. It even starts blowing warm air when it's off.

·
Ze flying Russian
2007 STI
2,008 Posts
what2 said:
Aleksey said:
pleiad7 said:
It sucks, I have to fight with it to stay comfortable. It even starts blowing warm air when it's off.
damn, they didn't fix it??? :shock: WOW!

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
18,683 Posts
It varies with climate. In the summer it merely suxx, which is probably why the more southern among us aren't quite as worked up about it. Winter is when it really suxxxxxx bigtime.

I've got Sam's fix on my agenda for springtime car chores.

·
Registered
2004 XT AT
1,101 Posts
Casper said:
Maybe it's a LHD/RHD thing. Sounds crazy but my handbook DOES show some subtle difference in the airflow diagram for RHD cars and LHD cars. I didn't pay too much attention to what the difference was. But in some ways at least, the system may not be identical.

-- Steve

·
Registered
2017 Forester 2.5I - 6 Speed
985 Posts
Automatic HVAC

I cannot believe that Subaru does not have a TSB on this problem. I heard that Subaru's customer service sucks, but this unbelievable.

·
The Modfather
2019 Impreza 5dr Sport - Manual
8,053 Posts
we need more people to call the 800 number and complain, I did a long time ago :?

·
Registered
2006 RX8
423 Posts
Dave T said:
Mine works well too. Its definitely not a sophisticated set-up, but I can't remember ever thinking that it sucked big time.

·
Ze flying Russian
2007 STI
2,008 Posts
Re: Automatic HVAC

higgledy said:
I cannot believe that Subaru does not have a TSB on this problem. I heard that Subaru's customer service sucks, but this unbelievable.
Customer service depends very much on a customer service of a particular dealership. I dealt with a few and can say that some of them really suck, and I would never come back to them even if they had a 50% instant rebate on all the latest models, but others were really good, prompt and knowledgeable, and it was a pleasure to work with them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts