Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday was an absolute nightmare for us as all the electrics in our house got blown up yesterday. Well anything which was plugged in.

About 12:30 we where sat having dinner and the lights in the kitchen went really bright and then everything electrical went bang :shake:

The TV, my computers, the lamps, even the boiler!

The noise was really loud and there was smoke out of the TV and my computers.

About 5 minutes later one of the neighbours knocks on the door, and asks if all our electrics have blow. Apparently its our side of the street I found out later.

Had United Utilities here basically until 3am when we finally got power back on but mainly for light as all the appliances have blown up.

The cause was 240 volts down both cables into the houses, so effectively the negative became a positive! :huh:

2010 is not proving to be too good either so far!

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
Does the home owners insurance cover the power-surged appliances and electronics, or does the utility company have to pay out?

·
Premium Member
2009 Outback XT-B 5MT
10,242 Posts
Yea, what's going to happen? Who's gonna pay to replace that stuff?

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,566 Posts
If the suppliers are negligent they are legally liable, if not one would expect them to make a goodwill payment, if not you're on your own!

Not good news mike, that can get pricey, I suspect a mess up my nat grid in a local connection!

Simon

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
When we had a surge at our house (lightning related), insurance paid for everything in full. Had everything plugged into surge protectors, but it came down the coax cable (for tv) and jumped from the cable modem to the router to all the computers.

·
Yorkshireman, not a DUDE!
2011 Mitsi RA Sportback SST
2,966 Posts
We had a power cut last year, when it was turned back on the power surge fried the applemac. Contents insurance covered a replacement 'mac ! It's why I pay the premium.

Brian

·
JDM Foz [sold]
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We now have power and 90% of appliances are fixed.

The problem was that power was sent down the earth cable at 240v so effectively most of the appliances got a dose of 480v's for a split second. Fuses apparently dont do anything when this happens as they are on the positive side of the wiring, and neither will turning off the power at the socket as the power come through the earth. (dont know if this is BS and 240v is dangerous I dont go near and know nowt) Even the surge protectors (belkin ones) didnt stop my computer going BOOM!

United Utilities have not said catagorically its their fault, but they have sent an electrical engineer out to fix the appliances and also offered to pay upto £200 on the items they cant fix. Total payment of £200 not £200 per item.

They will not touch our boiler however because it is under contract from Gritish Bas and because of this there is a conflict of interest!!

So out of the 10 items that went south 7.5 have been fixed. All thats left unfixed is our boiler, my desktop PC (its a dell and they dont have dell PSU's in stock, so £85 for a new oner!!!!), our dehumidifier (which the circuit board has a hole in so that needs replacing) and our sky box which although its on gives us a green and black flashing screen (some might say this is an improvement on whats normally shown)

I have to wait for british gas to come out and I fear I may have to wait longer still for my boiler to work as there is undoubtably parts which need replacing.

I am so glad we have camping gear such as heaters and stuff otherwise we'd have froze.

·
Yorkshireman, not a DUDE!
2011 Mitsi RA Sportback SST
2,966 Posts
Borrow someones baby or elderly relative, :biggrin: BG will be quicker then !

Brian

·
..now Maidstone
MY14 Audi SQ5 8AT
2,398 Posts
Mike you are the most unlucky person on this forum.....

·
JDM Foz [sold]
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Borrow someones baby or elderly relative, :biggrin: BG will be quicker then !

Brian
i thought they only came out quickly if you where a pregnant, teen age, ethnic lesbian? :confused:

Marky,

not unlucky, just having a period of bad karma. I'm hoping it changes on saturday at about 8pm when six balls drop with my numbers on :raspberry:

·
Registered
2009 2.0 D XC
65 Posts
The problem was that power was sent down the earth cable at 240v so effectively most of the appliances got a dose of 480v's for a split second.

United Utilities have not said catagorically its their fault, but they have sent an electrical engineer out to fix the appliances and also offered to pay upto £200 on the items they cant fix. Total payment of £200 not £200 per item.

They will not touch our boiler however because it is under contract from Gritish Bas and because of this there is a conflict of interest!!
I would suggest that you post details on the newsgroup uk.d-i-y. You will find there are some very knowledgeable contributors that will provide helpful advice and clarification of where the buck stops - I'd say claim on household insurance and let them sue the electricity supplier for their loses . My knowledge of electricity supply law is outdated and the relevance of "act of god" to the fact that they broke their statutory obligation by supplying voltage over the limit (230v +/-10%).

Just to clarify what you've been told what I think happened was - The supply in your road has 3 phases ( 3 separate live wires ). There may be a neutral wire or the neutral is "combined" with the earth "wire"(the aluminium/lead cable sheath. (google for earthing systems if you want to understand that bit). At your local substation 11,000v supply is converted down to domestic supply levels. The 11000v arrives as 3 phases/wires and is converted by a transformer that can be viewed as 3 separate transformers - one for each phase. One terminal from each of the three transformers is connected together and this terminal is the neutral/earth in your supply along with one of the phase wires. Between the neutral and the phase is 230v and between any 2 phases 415v. What looks to have happened is that neutral/earth has through a fault been made live causing 415v to be delivered to your house and other houses served with your phase or the other phase not involved in the fault. Those houses that were connected to the phase that went faulty will just have had a power cut - 230v on the neutral and 230v on the live = no power.

Sorry if the above is unclear - try google on 3 phase supply.

·
JDM Foz [sold]
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would suggest that you post details on the newsgroup uk.d-i-y. You will find there are some very knowledgeable contributors that will provide helpful advice and clarification of where the buck stops - I'd say claim on household insurance and let them sue the electricity supplier for their loses . My knowledge of electricity supply law is outdated and the relevance of "act of god" to the fact that they broke their statutory obligation by supplying voltage over the limit (230v +/-10%).

Just to clarify what you've been told what I think happened was - The supply in your road has 3 phases ( 3 separate live wires ). There may be a neutral wire or the neutral is "combined" with the earth "wire"(the aluminium/lead cable sheath. (google for earthing systems if you want to understand that bit). At your local substation 11,000v supply is converted down to domestic supply levels. The 11000v arrives as 3 phases/wires and is converted by a transformer that can be viewed as 3 separate transformers - one for each phase. One terminal from each of the three transformers is connected together and this terminal is the neutral/earth in your supply along with one of the phase wires. Between the neutral and the phase is 230v and between any 2 phases 415v. What looks to have happened is that neutral/earth has through a fault been made live causing 415v to be delivered to your house and other houses served with your phase or the other phase not involved in the fault. Those houses that were connected to the phase that went faulty will just have had a power cut - 230v on the neutral and 230v on the live = no power.

Sorry if the above is unclear - try google on 3 phase supply.
Thanks for that but thats just confused me even more. :huh:

Talking to the bloke who came to test our wiring at 2am this morning and he was telling me its a neutral fault where the supply is 240v down both lines at the same time and circuit breakers are usually in the live wire not the neutral. Sorry if its a bit vague but when he was telling me 1. it was 2am and I was 90% asleep 2. I wasnt interested but fained interest so he'd hurry up so I could work on the other 10% of sleep and 3. I dont do electrics as anything which could give me a nasty shock I leave well alone. :shake:

As of 6pm all is fixed bar our Sky box, a dehumidifier and the boiler (which gritish a55 are gonne fix tommorow hopefully).

United utilities have admitted liability just in the act of sending round engineers to fix our equipment. Its affected 6 houses in total and we now have a large hole outside which will apparently be filled in shortly.

We've been told that they will pay out for the skybox and dehumidifier and any costs from BG upto a total of £200. If not then we can claim off our insurance or get our insurance legal cover on the case, I think one of our neighbours will be doing this anyway as his £750 LCD tv was blown up during this.

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,153 Posts
Mike, tell the trouble gods that you've already contributed more than your share!

I sure hope this gets cleared up soon, and with a minimum of hassle.

·
JDM Foz [sold]
4,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mike, tell the trouble gods that you've already contributed more than your share!

I sure hope this gets cleared up soon, and with a minimum of hassle.
I think there listening as the good news I've had today is that my new accountant has save me £1500 on my tax bill :rock:

·
Administrator
2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,153 Posts
That's nice. How much did he charge for that advice? :icon_wink:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts