Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 s turbo
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, i have a few little issues with my car no1, windscreen motor is not working iv cheaked fuse but thats fine, any1 knw where to get a used 1 from, no2, feul gauge seems all over the shop i broke down on the motorway coz of it fookin thing it said i had a quarter of a tank but really there was fook all left in it, is there anythin i could do to sort it, it goes up high then comes down to about a quater of a tank then goes half way then down near the e, no3, i get a loud screeching kind of noise from the what i think is the power steering pump when i turn right and a little when i turn left, does this mean it will need a new pump or can it be rectified, thanks all.

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,577 Posts
Tmac26,

In order for people to give correct advise/help it's useful to include the model and year of vehicle you are talking about as the forester comes in many permutations. I'm assuming we're talking MY99 S-Turbo (from previous posts)?

You can do this by completing your profile data and also by creating a "signature" with these details. All available in the UserCP :icon_wink:

It's also helpful to expand your location to more than just UK :biggrin:

What do you mean by "windscreen motor" wipers or washers ?

You can check on Ebay for "Forester Breakers" as a source but if we know where you are in the UK this can be further refined to your specific area.

The fuel gauge on early Foresters does have some "non linear" movement :icon_biggrin: but you should still have fuel when it reaches "E". Can't remember if the SF has the low fuel warning light or not.

The screeching as Guinness says is most likely a loose belt.

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,158 Posts
The fuel gauge on early Foresters does have some "non linear" movement :icon_biggrin: but you should still have fuel when it reaches "E". Can't remember if the SF has the low fuel warning light or not.
On later Foresters too !!! 8 miles beyond fuel warning light and still couldn't get 50 litres in the tank :crazy:

·
Registered
99 UK S-turbo
8,590 Posts
99MY SF has low fuel warning light, gauge is non linear but still reads empty only when empty, obviuosly you have a fault which could be sender, guage or wriring, from the info you've given that's as far as I can tell.

Power steering pump noise is likley to be belt tension or worn belt, pump is almost certainly fine!

Simon

·
Registered
none none
9,011 Posts
Sounds like the float is sticking. Fuel pump out and check it moves freely.
Its most likely something with the sensor. It uses a float on a long metal arm (coat hanger type wire) that goes to a pivot point with a membrane type board with contacts on it. I'd pull the whole fuel pump assembly out and take a look at it.

·
JDM Foz [sold]
2016 Mercedes E220 AMG Auto
4,389 Posts
Its most likely something with the sensor. It uses a float on a long metal arm (coat hanger type wire) that goes to a pivot point with a membrane type board with contacts on it. I'd pull the whole fuel pump assembly out and take a look at it.

Just add to that, that its quite easy to check as there is an access panel just below the back of the passenger rear seat. Remove it and then theres the fuel tank access panel. Remove this and the whole sender unit, float and pump come out.

Just remember to disconnect the battery and done do it while smoking! :crazy:

·
Registered
99 s turbo
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the advice don am tryin to sort that info out, it is a my99 s turbo,
i think the feul gauge thing has sorted it self out seems to be steadily going down and i put some petrol in today and went up to where i think it should be so finers crossed thats ok,

it is the washers that are not working and there is no noise so i take it thats a gonna, am looking around for spare 1,

ill av to get a new belt for pas just tobe on the safe side,

thanks every1 for the advice and info, much appreciated

·
Don, King of the parts diagram
MY11 WRX STi Sedan 6MT
5,577 Posts

·
Registered
99 s turbo
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ive sent an email for the part thanks for that link don i will bookmark that for future,

how do i adjust the belt, this is the first subaru i have owned and the first subaru engine i will even have worked with properly so more than likley there will be more questions,

1 - 13 of 13 Posts