Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2010 FXT Limited 4EAT Sport Shift
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're driving to Yellowknife this August, and returning to Anchorage in December. Hard to figure out what to do for tires...
We're currently on a rather worn but wonderful studded snow tires - Nokian Hakapeliita 2s in their fourth season.
We have a fairly unknown summer tire brand (Daytona) with several years of tread left (good directional tread design, aggressive voids, unknown tread compound properties).
We don't think we can drive the old studded Nokians and get one more year, and don't want to bring a whole second set.
What would you do?
-Quick

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a bad idea, but there are no COSTCOs in Yellowknife...thanks anyway

·
Registered
99 RS
111 Posts
Right now is the best time to get a super cheap deal on a brand new set of snow tires (try crappy tire for michelin latitude x-ice for $100-$120 ish).

Buy a set before you go.

·
Premium Member
2008 XS 4EAT
9,825 Posts
Right now is the best time to get a super cheap deal on a brand new set of snow tires (try crappy tire for michelin latitude x-ice for $100-$120 ish).

Buy a set before you go.
I don't think the chances of finding a Canadian Tire store in Alaska will be very good.:icon_razz:

From what I understand practically everything is more expensive in Alaska due to shipping costs. Can you provide any details as to the potential road conditions you expect to encounter?

I'm thinking from what I've read about road conditions you'll probably want to carry an extra spare regardless of what you choose, and since you're driving a Forester an extra windshield.:icon_eek:

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Eric/good dog-
Hmmm, we're driving to Yellowknife in July, staying their through November, and driving back in December. So buying a set of 4 studded snow tires before we go to YK, would mean we'd have to carry them...we need all the space we can get, and won't have room for 4 tires.
At the very least we'd want to have the studded snows for the drive back from YK to AK, and preferably for the late fall, early winter in YK.
So the question is more towards, where to go to get tires...having gone to the web, there is a Canadian Tire Store in YK...and there's the web for tires too, with TireRack.
THat resolved, I'm then faced with a set of reasonably good summer tires that I"ll have to sell or give away...
Maybe I should contact the local news paper there and advertise a trade, used summer tires for used studded winter tires...although the odds are a little dismal seeings how our sized tires are a little unusual...
-Quick

I don't think the chances of finding a Canadian Tire store in Alaska will be very good.:icon_razz:

From what I understand practically everything is more expensive in Alaska due to shipping costs. Can you provide any details as to the potential road conditions you expect to encounter?

I'm thinking from what I've read about road conditions you'll probably want to carry an extra spare regardless of what you choose, and since you're driving a Forester an extra windshield.:icon_eek:

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,723 Posts
can you ship your hakas to YK and then store them there until you need them in the fall? greyhound shipping? know anyone making the trip before you?

your other options are running hakkas from aug on; maybe alright if you stay on gravel and go easy on paved highway miles(km..:biggrin: lol)

or trying to get back in dec with summers? actually that's not an option, you would be buying new winters to get home.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
vicali-
Possible solution, but not sure if it's legal to drive on studded tires across Canada in the summer...
-Quick

can you ship your hakas to YK and then store them there until you need them in the fall? greyhound shipping? know anyone making the trip before you?

your other options are running hakkas from aug on; maybe alright if you stay on gravel and go easy on paved highway miles(km..:biggrin: lol)

or trying to get back in dec with summers? actually that's not an option, you would be buying new winters to get home.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
vicali-
Possible solution, but not sure if it's legal to drive on studded tires across Canada in the summer...
-Quick
A little late to this topic but: it may be illegal to run studs but lots do it in the interior of BC and the RCMP just turn a blind eye. With Alaska plates on the Forester, I do not see too big a deal of just running the studded tires, just be careful of driving some place that does not allow studded tires, like maybe parking garages. Or get the studs removed. I have had that done in the past for just this reason. Used to cost $20/tire but not sure what that would be now.

So I say just keep your winters on and run them till you need new ones.

·
Registered
none none
8,844 Posts
I'd just run the summer tires you have. Tirerack has always had my tires to me in less than a week, So i'd just have some snow tires shipped before leaving YK if thats possible.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Trainman-
Not a bad idea, solves some of the problems...but driving the Hakas all 2500 miles would just about wear down the studs altogether (given I wasn't busted for them), and I'd need them for YK and the return trip...having a set of studded snows sent to YK once I'm there, would solve that, as I'd have a fresh set to take on a trans-Canada (through NWT, N. Alberta, N. British Columbia, Yukon) December journey. Best idea yet...thanks!
-Quick

A little late to this topic but: it may be illegal to run studs but lots do it in the interior of BC and the RCMP just turn a blind eye. With Alaska plates on the Forester, I do not see too big a deal of just running the studded tires, just be careful of driving some place that does not allow studded tires, like maybe parking garages. Or get the studs removed. I have had that done in the past for just this reason. Used to cost $20/tire but not sure what that would be now.

So I say just keep your winters on and run them till you need new ones.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
Trainman-
Not a bad idea, solves some of the problems...but driving the Hakas all 2500 miles would just about wear down the studs altogether (given I wasn't busted for them), and I'd need them for YK and the return trip...having a set of studded snows sent to YK once I'm there, would solve that, as I'd have a fresh set to take on a trans-Canada (through NWT, N. Alberta, N. British Columbia, Yukon) December journey. Best idea yet...thanks!
-Quick
I was thinking that you would replace the Haka's in YK (or wherever you are come October), either by buying some or as you noted having them shipped to you, as it sounds like those Haka's are done anyway as a winter tire. So might as well get some little bit extra out them while you can by running them as a "summer" tire. Have a good trip!

·
Registered
99 RS
111 Posts
I used to run snow tires all year long when I had my Impreza 2.5 RS, so why not just buy a set (Costco seems pretty cheap) and be done with it.

And I think that there probely is a Cnd tire outlet in Yellowknife.

The only place you might get hasselled about running studded ties in the summer is Ontario.

·
Registered
2020 Forester Limited CVT
63 Posts
If it were me....I'd just get the studs removed and drive the crap outta those Haka's cuz you said there might not even be one more winter season left in them and then once you're in the Yukon, order a new set of winters for the drive back from Tire Rack or something.

To me, that's the best plan of attack, but that's just my opinion. Good luck whatever option you choose and have an awesome trip.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
cdn_rolla-
Do you know if studs are legal across Canada during the summer? I could have the studs pulled, enter in an autocross or two just before I leave...;>)

Yes, we are looking forward to the trip, a little advance research has yielded some pretty interesting side trips enroute!
-Quick

If it were me....I'd just get the studs removed and drive the crap outta those Haka's cuz you said there might not even be one more winter season left in them and then once you're in the Yukon, order a new set of winters for the drive back from Tire Rack or something.

To me, that's the best plan of attack, but that's just my opinion. Good luck whatever option you choose and have an awesome trip.

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
cdn_rolla-
Do you know if studs are legal across Canada during the summer? I could have the studs pulled, enter in an autocross or two just before I leave...;>)

-Quick
This is from Tire studs, ice studs, snow studs regulations for USA and Canada , take it as you like (it is accurate for BC):

Canada
British Columbia Permitted Oct. 1 to Apr. 30
Alberta Permitted
Saskatchewan Permitted
Manitoba Permitted Oct. 1 to Apr. 30
Quebec Permitted Oct. 1 to May 1
New Brunswick Permitted Oct. 15 to Apr. 30
Nova Scotia Permitted Oct. 15 to Apr. 30
Prince Edward Island Permitted Oct. 1 to May 31
Newfoundland Permitted Nov. 1 to Apr. 30
Yukon Permitted
Northwest Ter. Permitted
Ontario Prohibited, except for Aluminum studs permitted in Northern Ontario fromOct. 1st to Apr. 30th

·
Registered
2016 Forester XT AT
1,295 Posts
Thanks Trainman!
Looks like if I can get through BC, studs are permitted the rest of the way!
In BC, it seems that only in the Greater Vancouver/Vancouver Island area do they worry about studs being used in the "off" time. I know a few who run them all year in the interior with no issues as far as the RCMP go. I have driven in snow and ice all 12 months and with the high mountain passes we have I think the police are OK turning a blind eye.

And you can always point to the Alaska license plate and say studs are legal all 12 months where you live.

However, unless you really want to use those studded tires next winter, I would take the studs out to improve the summer handling and most importantly breaking characteristics of the tires. They will be squirmy enough as it is and the studs will just add to that as well as increasing the stopping distances in emergencies.

Have a good trip!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts