Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
09 Forester
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Forester and wondering what people liked better for roof racks and accessories (bike and ski attachments for example). Any suggestions to steer my decision?

·
Registered
2005 Base 2.5x foz
896 Posts
I'm a thule fan. I think the square bar provides a little better support than the round one!
Plus the thule kit for my car was a little cheaper.

·
Registered
2010 2010 2.5X AT Premium
104 Posts
I've been using Yakima gear on my cars for about as long as that's been possible here, and my 2010 Forester has a bunch of new and old Yakima gear on it that I like a lot. But in my experience the Yakima vs. Thule thing is a bit of a wash in the long run: they both do a good job if you put a bit of thought into what you really want and what's important, and in the end it often boils down to mild personal preference one way or another, or the specific requirements of a specific attachment at a specific point in time.

All of which is my long-winded way of saying that you probably won't do badly whichever way you go :).

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Touring
1,067 Posts
On my RS I had a set of square bars and with that I had 2 bike trays (Performance brand) and a set of Thule 6-ski holders. When I traded up for my Forester, I decided to use the built-in cross bars and so, I sold the 2 bike trays and got 2 of these, Yakima Universal Forklift. I also bought new adapters for the Thule Universal Pull Top so they'll fit on the flat bars.

I like them both and thing they're both great. I went for the Yakima ones because they will work on any size bar and who knows what I'll be driving in 15-20 years. So if you get something, I'd advocate that you get one that will fit square, round and flat... just in case for the future :)

·
Registered
2009 & Jamboree Motorhome
347 Posts
This will turn in Yakima vs Thule battle.

both great. Find a deal
I agree go, with the best deal.. Both are top quality.. Like many we run a mix on our Subaru's.. Thule basket.. Yakama box.. Mixed bike rack, Ski ,board rack, They are more or less a collection of parts that work..:icon_biggrin:

Snowdance

Flickr: snowdance38's Photostream

·
Registered
2005 Sequoia, V70R auto
2,869 Posts
I'm impartial, I have Subaru (Mont Blanc) crossbars, Yakima snowboard rack and bike rack, and a Thule fairing. They all make good stuff.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
10 Posts
I also have a railless 2010 Forester and need a rack. Not happy about any of the options so far... The 70 cm spread of the bars sucks if you plan on transporting a 370 cm item - what were those people thinking! I am wondering what the maximum distance between front and rear bar of the rail based rack of the fancier Foresters is?

- The Q version of the Yakima's seems to cause damage to the paint just by resting the rack on the roof.
- The Landing Pad version from Yakima seems to be better - still single bolt mounting (There are two M6 mounts on the vehicle - Why not using them?) and high price.
- The Thule version seems not even to follow the contour of the vehicles roofline (also single bolt setup...).
- Do not know much of the Subaru version, and how it attaches...

I was wondering if someone could shoot me a picture from the bottom / inside of the mount (Thule, Yakima, whatever...) – the area where the mount attaches to the roof of the car.
I am wondering if I could modify or potentially make a mount that would
- Use both M6 threaded areas
- Offer some offset design that would spread the load forward and aft to gain distance between each crossbar (may be 10 to 15 cm in each direction)

·
aka DMax in Alaska
'06 Mini Cooper S JCW 6MT
786 Posts
I prefer Yakima but they are all similar. Keep an eye on REI for sales. Several times a year REI will have 20% off sales for each makers products.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I also have a railless 2010 Forester and need a rack. Not happy about any of the options so far... The 70 cm spread of the bars sucks if you plan on transporting a 370 cm item - what were those people thinking! I am wondering what the maximum distance between front and rear bar of the rail based rack of the fancier Foresters is?

- The Q version of the Yakima's seems to cause damage to the paint just by resting the rack on the roof.
- The Landing Pad version from Yakima seems to be better - still single bolt mounting (There are two M6 mounts on the vehicle - Why not using them?) and high price.
- The Thule version seems not even to follow the contour of the vehicles roofline (also single bolt setup...).
- Do not know much of the Subaru version, and how it attaches...

I was wondering if someone could shoot me a picture from the bottom / inside of the mount (Thule, Yakima, whatever...) – the area where the mount attaches to the roof of the car.
I am wondering if I could modify or potentially make a mount that would
- Use both M6 threaded areas
- Offer some offset design that would spread the load forward and aft to gain distance between each crossbar (may be 10 to 15 cm in each direction)
We use the Subaru bars on our 09X because they carry more weight than the others I found and leave no marks on the car.. But the biggest item we carry is a canoe thats about 11 feet but I run a support up from the front bumper....

370 cm is a bit over 12 feet so its weight and how its balanced is the problem.. Really a bit long for the Forester just using the top rack even with rails as it really would need to be back so far the rear hatch would be a problem when you open it.. And move it forward enough and the wind off the windshield would be a problem wanting to lift it..(The reason we have a front support on the canoe.) Or am I miss understanding what you want to haul on it..

Take the easy way out and just get a trailer.. Thats what we use most of the time for any thing over 10 or 12 feet..

Snowdance

Snowdance

·
Registered
2008 2.5x ll beaner
632 Posts
Hi, I have the Thule base system, (square load bars, fairing, gunwale brackets for the canoe), I've since added a Yakima Load Warrior basket, which rules more than you can imagine. It's EASY to take the basket off so the options of basket or load bars depending on what you want to haul is endless. I still have the Yak fairing but it's not on because the Thule fairing is on, not much wind noise can be heard. I can always put both fairings on and turn the Yak one backwards so you only see one name brand or something..I've put ladders, a wagon, steel shelf, lumber, canoe, kayak, whatever, it' rules!!!! Using the top of your vehicle has never been easier. I've tried to load a ladder on my Mom's van once and it sucked royally!!! I think I pulled a nerve or muscle in my neck when I was messing around with that stupid van!! Good luck on your purchase..

Dan

·
Registered
2010 Forester
10 Posts
Dr. K - I could be wrong but it looks like you have the Forester generation with the low profile track - this one looks like you could attach a crossbar all the way to the front and the back of the roof. Would have been nice if the Subaru guys would have kept that design... two feet between front and rear track sucks big time.

snowdance38 - your support from the front bumper for your 11 foot canoe, is that essentially a line that you tie between bow and bumper or something rigid?
The gear I am trying to transport on the roof is my old school longboard - weight should not be any issue - wind resistance and lift could be an issue. There will be some trips coming up in the future, were a trailer (we have one that provides a home to our Hobie) would not be a suitable solution. We also do not have a hitch for the Forester at this point (have to figure out which one I want).

Thanks,

·
Registered
08 2.5x
457 Posts
I'm a bigger fan of Yakima racks. I spent 15 years in the bike industry and sold both brands. I found Yakima allot better to deal with directly. I also like there product allot more.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Dr. K - I could be wrong but it looks like you have the Forester generation with the low profile track - this one looks like you could attach a crossbar all the way to the front and the back of the roof. Would have been nice if the Subaru guys would have kept that design... two feet between front and rear track sucks big time.

snowdance38 - your support from the front bumper for your 11 foot canoe, is that essentially a line that you tie between bow and bumper or something rigid?
The gear I am trying to transport on the roof is my old school longboard - weight should not be any issue - wind resistance and lift could be an issue. There will be some trips coming up in the future, were a trailer (we have one that provides a home to our Hobie) would not be a suitable solution. We also do not have a hitch for the Forester at this point (have to figure out which one I want).

Thanks,
I agree and it was the reason I decided not to get one with the rails.. Kind of sad to see them go from a design that worked on the 99-08 with no problems.. I have have cars with top racks from 1976 to now.. And all the problems I have had with them have been on the ones with top rails that are unsupported for long spans.. I have removed several head liners and replaced rails.. Not to high on my list of things I like to do..

I find the X with out the rails suits me better and use supports from the hitch and front if needed.. But I have welding equipment, ect. so just make what I need.

My friend called about a week ago and ask if I would help him replace the top rail on his 09 Forester. (He does over load them a bit.) I decided to be busy that day.. Now I wish I had helped to see how they were mounted.. He got it in 08 and has well over 80,000 miles on it.. So replacement is on him..

Your long board would not be a weight problem.. Have you thought about carrying it on edge getting rid of many of the wind problems except cross wind.. We carried long boards for years and found that was the easy way to keep from having wind problems as the wind is usaly up when wanting to use them..

Snowdance

·
Registered
2009 Forester X Premium
28 Posts
I have the Yakima bars on my 2009 Forester with factory rails. I went with Yakima because Yakima makes the round bars kit that Subaru sells and I was able to get them on sale at a store going out of business. It seems the profile of the factory rail was made fit the Yakima rail clamps perfectly. An advantage of round bars is they accessories put on are always level and can be rotated if needed. For instance the ski rack when not in use can be rotated flat to the roof with round bars. In some cases the flat top of the Thule bar not being level can create some difficulty with mounting accessories on them I am told. In addition one major rack seller says the have never seen a bent Yakima bar returned but did have a bent Thule bar returned, but just once. Having said all that I think Thule is also a great product and either one would work well. If one was on sale and significantly cheaper than the other, that would be the deciding factor for me. I use both Thule and Yakima accessories.

·
Ol' Timer
2006 WRX Spec-C 6MT
5,962 Posts
I was a Thule fan, but I've been converted to the Yak. Cheaper, better designed, quieter.

·
Registered
2009 Forester X 4 A/T
305 Posts
Just picked up the Subaru OEM "carrier Base Kit" and installed it in under 20 minutes today. Slick and I got my local dealer to match the 20% off list price of $183.26 advertised by several web vendors.(always ASK!! the dealer if they will match on Subaru accessories!) Sturdy kit. Makes wind noise, though. Very nice for the price compared to $350 to $500 for most of the aftermarket systems.

I tried to order a Thule 460 base kt for the past two months from the three most prominent on line vendors and NONE have the correct freakin' 'Fit Kit' for the bases in stock.

Now-my next purchase is a basket- Thule?, Inno?, Yakima, Subaru?? choices, choices.

·
Registered
2008 2.5x ll beaner
632 Posts
Lots of options for baskets out there, I went with the "deal package", used yak basket or yasket ?? That's a stretch I know, but it was 65 bucks!! The extension that could make it bigger would be more than what I paid for the basket..As far as which basket to get it just depends what you want it for and what style I guess...I like the yasket so far!!! Good Luck Yo!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts