Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for a 2009 or 2010 Forester with a moonroof. Has anyone been able to install a Yakima roof rack system that includes a fairing? Did the fairing interfere with the moonroof's wind deflector?

I have a roof rack installed but it didn't look like the fairing was gonna jive with the moonroof. I'm tired of hearing the rack whistle as I cruise down the highway, so I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck with the fairing not interfering with the moonroof. If so, did it eliminate the whistling?

If possible, post pics. I posted a pic of my rack system w/o the fairing. Thanks!

· Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gracias

Outlaw,
thanks for the reply. Do you/did you have any whistling or wind noise after you installed the fairing?

I found the other thread where you posted pics on the work you did. Will follow. Thanks again!

· Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have one installed over my glass on my moonroof. It doesnt effect the use of the roof at all. Its just there when you open it. I had it opened all the way yesterday and when i hit 60 mph the Yakima fairing pushes air into the cab lol. Ive had it like that for 2 years now with no problems.
Thanks for the reply. What size fairing? Does it eliminate the whistling?

· Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow

the other thing you can do is wrap a piece of thin nylon cord around the bar. anything that breaks the barrier layer of air coming over the bar will stop the whistling. a fairing looks good but will not save you mpg's just reduce noise. cord around the bar is you best bet if you need something fast and cheap that will not interfere with your sun roof.
Seriously?! :icon_surprised: Thanks for kicking down some aerophysics/dynamics 101. I've got tons of nylon cord laying around. I can't wait to try this method. I don't have a problem with getting the fairing, but if a bit of nylon cord gets rid of the whistling, I save $40 and lose the extra, obtrusive piece of plastic.

I'll report back on this. :icon_cool:

· Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
windjammer

This is very true, at least in my experience. I used to keep one of the round bits of padding that Yakima sells for supporting boards, etc., around the front bar, and it was very effective at stopping the wind noise. Nowadays I use a purpose-built little winglet-like thing that Yakima sells to do the same thing -- they sell them in REI, and they work for me. Never used a fairing in twenty years of Yakimaing :).
Thanks for the responses all!

I found the windjammer you're talking about, posted a pic. At $25 it's cheaper than the fairing but more expensive than the nylon cord.

Whatever, I'll get rid of the whistling. :rock:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts