Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2010 2010 2.5X AT Premium
105 Posts
the other thing you can do is wrap a piece of thin nylon cord around the bar. anything that breaks the barrier layer of air coming over the bar will stop the whistling. a fairing looks good but will not save you mpg's just reduce noise. cord around the bar is you best bet if you need something fast and cheap that will not interfere with your sun roof.
This is very true, at least in my experience. I used to keep one of the round bits of padding that Yakima sells for supporting boards, etc., around the front bar, and it was very effective at stopping the wind noise. Nowadays I use a purpose-built little winglet-like thing that Yakima sells to do the same thing -- they sell them in REI, and they work for me. Never used a fairing in twenty years of Yakimaing :).

· Registered
2010 2010 2.5X AT Premium
105 Posts
Thanks for the responses all!

I found the windjammer you're talking about, posted a pic. At $25 it's cheaper than the fairing but more expensive than the nylon cord.

Whatever, I'll get rid of the whistling. :rock:
Yeah, that's the thing I have on my rack now. What seems to be important (as others have commented) is disrupting airflow around the bars and other bits; the windjammer and / or the Yakima cushion things work well for that on my rack, but my experience has been that individual racks seem to have different noise reduction issues, so some fiddling around will probably be needed in any case...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts