Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for a 2009 or 2010 Forester with a moonroof. Has anyone been able to install a Yakima roof rack system that includes a fairing? Did the fairing interfere with the moonroof's wind deflector?

I have a roof rack installed but it didn't look like the fairing was gonna jive with the moonroof. I'm tired of hearing the rack whistle as I cruise down the highway, so I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck with the fairing not interfering with the moonroof. If so, did it eliminate the whistling?

If possible, post pics. I posted a pic of my rack system w/o the fairing. Thanks!

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
gracias

Outlaw,
thanks for the reply. Do you/did you have any whistling or wind noise after you installed the fairing?

I found the other thread where you posted pics on the work you did. Will follow. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2007 FSXT
699 Posts
I have one installed over my glass on my moonroof. It doesnt effect the use of the roof at all. Its just there when you open it. I had it opened all the way yesterday and when i hit 60 mph the Yakima fairing pushes air into the cab lol. Ive had it like that for 2 years now with no problems.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have one installed over my glass on my moonroof. It doesnt effect the use of the roof at all. Its just there when you open it. I had it opened all the way yesterday and when i hit 60 mph the Yakima fairing pushes air into the cab lol. Ive had it like that for 2 years now with no problems.
Thanks for the reply. What size fairing? Does it eliminate the whistling?

·
Fast & Dirty
2009 Forester XT 4 speed auto
4,050 Posts
The fairing I installed worked perfectly.

I believe the larger size helped making it even more quiet. Almost all the air had to go up and not underneath the rails.

The size I used is the stock size of a 2006 Honda Odyssey minivan (my other ride).

·
Registered
09 Forester
6 Posts
the other thing you can do is wrap a piece of thin nylon cord around the bar. anything that breaks the barrier layer of air coming over the bar will stop the whistling. a fairing looks good but will not save you mpg's just reduce noise. cord around the bar is you best bet if you need something fast and cheap that will not interfere with your sun roof.

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow

the other thing you can do is wrap a piece of thin nylon cord around the bar. anything that breaks the barrier layer of air coming over the bar will stop the whistling. a fairing looks good but will not save you mpg's just reduce noise. cord around the bar is you best bet if you need something fast and cheap that will not interfere with your sun roof.
Seriously?! :icon_surprised: Thanks for kicking down some aerophysics/dynamics 101. I've got tons of nylon cord laying around. I can't wait to try this method. I don't have a problem with getting the fairing, but if a bit of nylon cord gets rid of the whistling, I save $40 and lose the extra, obtrusive piece of plastic.

I'll report back on this. :icon_cool:

·
Registered
2007 FSXT
699 Posts
hmmmm after I return from my trip to Michigan I will do a MPG comparison test to see if I notice the difference in MPG with a fairing or going naked style without fairing and racks.

·
Registered
2010 2010 2.5X AT Premium
104 Posts
This is very true, at least in my experience. I used to keep one of the round bits of padding that Yakima sells for supporting boards, etc., around the front bar, and it was very effective at stopping the wind noise. Nowadays I use a purpose-built little winglet-like thing that Yakima sells to do the same thing -- they sell them in REI, and they work for me. Never used a fairing in twenty years of Yakimaing :).

·
Registered
2009 2.5X Limited 4EAT
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
windjammer

This is very true, at least in my experience. I used to keep one of the round bits of padding that Yakima sells for supporting boards, etc., around the front bar, and it was very effective at stopping the wind noise. Nowadays I use a purpose-built little winglet-like thing that Yakima sells to do the same thing -- they sell them in REI, and they work for me. Never used a fairing in twenty years of Yakimaing :).
Thanks for the responses all!

I found the windjammer you're talking about, posted a pic. At $25 it's cheaper than the fairing but more expensive than the nylon cord.

Whatever, I'll get rid of the whistling. :rock:

·
Registered
2010 2010 2.5X AT Premium
104 Posts
Thanks for the responses all!

I found the windjammer you're talking about, posted a pic. At $25 it's cheaper than the fairing but more expensive than the nylon cord.

Whatever, I'll get rid of the whistling. :rock:
Yeah, that's the thing I have on my rack now. What seems to be important (as others have commented) is disrupting airflow around the bars and other bits; the windjammer and / or the Yakima cushion things work well for that on my rack, but my experience has been that individual racks seem to have different noise reduction issues, so some fiddling around will probably be needed in any case...

·
Registered
2010 X Prem 5MT AWP
6 Posts
The nylon cord suggestion by Rocketboy worked for me. I took two 3 foot pieces of 1/4 inch cord and coiled them tightly around the center section of the two Yakima crossbars (between two Steelheads) and the hum is gone. There is still some wind noise when the roof is open, but you get some of that without a rack.

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,726 Posts
I just put the 38" Fairing on with my new racks, all four of the pads sit on the glass of the moonroof, when you open it the glass pulls down and away from the pads. Works great, and I would rather have it resting on the glass that the paint!

the front air deflector raises up with no interference either.

I get no wind noise at all with just the racks, maybe a tiny bit more with the gunwale brackets up there.

·
Registered
2010 Forester
35 Posts
The nylon cord suggestion by Rocketboy worked for me. I took two 3 foot pieces of 1/4 inch cord and coiled them tightly around the center section of the two Yakima crossbars (between two Steelheads) and the hum is gone. There is still some wind noise when the roof is open, but you get some of that without a rack.
Grinder - Pic please? :biggrin:

·
Registered
2005 Forester XS
7 Posts
vicali,
what happens when you open the moon roof while driving? how is the fairing then supported if the pads aren't touching the glass anymore? thank you

·
Registered
2008 Forester AE
1,726 Posts
The fairing doesn't stand on those little pads,they barely touch the glass at all unless your going down the highway. It is supported from the four arms connected to the bar, the outside two are tightened with bolts (you could easily add 2 cable-ties to tighten the inside clamps as well). With the moonroof open the fairing doesn't move, just hangs there like always.

I'm not going to start calculating added downforce or reduced mpg; I figure keeping my car detailed and waxed more than makes up for the rack aerodynamically ..:biggrin:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts