• Hell no!

Votes: 36 22.9%
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Administrator
2016 & 2018 2.5i Premium CVT
19,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's see what interest the XV might have developed among our loyal Forester owners. Let us know by voting in the poll. Comments are also welcome.

·
Registered
2015 Impreza 5-Door Sport Auto (CVT)
2,351 Posts
My main intention when looking for a new car was actually the Crosstrek.

It would of suited me fine, but I have 2 dogs and the Forester was much more roomier in the cargo area for them.

The price would of been the same for the Crosstrek or the Forester, so I opted for the Forester.

Where I work, the Crosstrek out numbers the Forester by 6 to one now. I am the one with the Forester. So far the ones that do have the Crosstrek love the vehicle.

·
Registered
2010 Forester Active 2.0X MT 2x5 - MT with Dual Range reduction
1,235 Posts
My poll is a little bit wrong.
I should have voted "I was thinking hard about it."

When the time had come in December 2011 to replace my previous Forester 07 by a new Subaru, the XV (in Europe named only XV without the word crosstrek) was a real alternative for me towards the Forester.

The final decisive factor for the Forester was the very good offer by the dealership for a Forester as an employee's car: 9000€ (!) under the list price - 19500€ instead of 28500€ (list price + registration + transport costs).
Additionally I got for free a rubber mat for the trunk, side-nettings for the trunk, special rubber mats for the interior and side protections.
A mirror-navi was installed as well.

As a member of a hunter's association I would have gotten a sales discount of 15% of the list price = 4170€ off, but still the registration costs and the transport costs.

For the XV I also would have gotten a sales discount of 15%, but no additional accessoires for free and also still the registration costs and the transport costs.

Therefore I chose the Forester as an employee's car - til yet I never have regreted it.

From the aspect regarding the utility of the Forester or of the XV for my purposes (daily driving and especially hunting) there wasn't any difference between the XV and the Forester for me.

·
Contributor
2014 Forester - Limited CVT
254 Posts
I went to the dealer fully intending to buy a Crosstrek. I took a demo on a long test drive. It had 1500 miles on it so I didn't need to be gentle with it (and I wasn't). It was nice. Somewhat underpowered and pretty noisy. Then I asked to test drive a Forester. I did NOT want to like the Forester because I really like the looks of the XV. Bottom line, I bought a Forester. It's so much more vehicle in so many ways compared to the XV. But there is going to be a XV in the family this summer. My daughter received a full ride scholarship to a University based on her grades, ACT score and winning an oral and written competition so I told her I'd buy her a new Subaru. She wants a blue XV.

·
Registered
2014 Forester Touring CVT
662 Posts
I went into buy a Crosstrek, but after driving it and seeing how under powered it was, I bought a Forester. I did just drive the Hybrid model, and it has a little bit more low end power, but not worth the extra cost for the tiny amount in fuel savings. Also, the X-Mode isn't an option, which I've grown very fond of.

·
Registered
2016 Impeza 5 speed
111 Posts
I was looking to get out of a 2011 Legacy prem 6spd that shook.
At first I wanted an XV and after driving, or should I say flogging both with manuals I got a prem with6 spd. My 2011 Outback has the CVT. Manuals are much better in snow. Or at lest they feel better; more control!

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
10 Posts
Same story

I went in to get a crosstrek, but upon sitting in it, was not happy with the size of the interior. It felt okay, but when I saw the forester and sat in it, wow! Much better. Like some of the reviewers above, I liked the looks of the xv, I wish they would incorporate some of the styling features of the xv onto the Forester. I also really like the sunroof in the forester, its HUGE!

·
Registered
2014 Forester Premium 6M
106 Posts
1) The signature orange is awesome and a nice change from Subaru only selling boring colors on every model but the 3-letter ones.

2) The wheels on the non-hybrid are freaking awesome as well.

3) The fiancee hates the interior so I can never ever get one.

·
Registered
2007 Forester SportsXT AT
1,613 Posts
I think I posted, shortly after seeing one for the first time at the dealership, that the xv design is more in line with what a modern-day forester should be (small, quirky wagon on a raised impreza chassis) than what the forester has actually become.

·
Registered
2014 Forester CVT
228 Posts
I think it's great. I'd never get one because I love the performance of the XT, but they're still really cool looking. I imagine they would never put the turbo motor in one because of the STI/WRX.

·
Premium Member
2014 Impreza Ltd CVT
3,319 Posts
Like the idea of a SMALL Subaru wagon..... Have for over 30 years.

When I had to make a decision to replace MY04 Forester that I loved so much and had served us well, I drove the 2014 Forester. Nice ride, But TOO BIG for me and my own taste. To me thay have placed it larger than the SF/SG Forester, but not quite in the Tribeca range. Somewhere in between. But Not for me.

Then I drove a Crosstrek. More to my liking. larger radiator and gas tank then the Impreza. Different control arms due to the raised suspension. Beefier CTV that allows towing (albeit 1500 lbs ). And lots of Subaru tupperware on the body as they always do with their outdoorsy image. And 4-5 mpg less than the Impreza it's based on due mostly to lower gearing.

Next I drove an Impreza ..... lower to the ground and much nicer controlled ride for me and my purposes. The 5 door, they don't call a wagon, but the registration and title in NJ say it is what I ultimately replaced MY04 Forester with. And with only 1700 miles on it, my average MPG is 31.2 and I only expect that to get better. Yeah it's no XT, but I didn't own one before.

From my perspective, the 5 door Impreza, be it the standard model, or the XV, is a close replacement for the SF/SG models both of which I have or still own.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts