Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw that Compressive tuning released a hood scoop on their site. It’s relatively new so i can’t seem to find many reviews or even an install video. Cosmetically it looks awesome but I am curious if anyone on the forum has installed this and how it has affected your air intake and overall performance. I’m wondering if this is purely cosmetic and how difficult the install is.

Here’s the link for reference: XTi-Autodromo Hood

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT
1,356 Posts
Really nice. By the time I painted and 3md that thing I’d be looking at 3 grand Canadian aha.

My stock will have to suffice

·
Registered
2018 Touring XT CVT
187 Posts
Yep, would sure like to see it opened and any underside air-flow functionality. Also, it being FG, a little meh'd on the idea of hood pins. My XT gets a lot of highway use. :(

It does look damned nice though.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Stock is currently FMIC? On top of that, you would have to reroute to a more inefficient method of cooling for TMIC

i suppose aesthetically, its pleasing.

·
Premium Member
2017 Forester XT Premium CVT
366 Posts
Yep, would sure like to see it opened and any underside air-flow functionality. Also, it being FG, a little meh'd on the idea of hood pins. My XT gets a lot of highway use. :(

They don't indicate if it needs pins or not. Many FG hoods in that price range ($$) have the reinforcing and hardware built-in on the underside for direct install to factory hinges and latch. No pins are shown in the pictures.

Stock is currently FMIC? On top of that, you would have to reroute to a more inefficient method of cooling for TMIC

OE is TMIC. This looks to be purely for asthetics, and says it uses the OE ducting from the stock hood.

Subaru said they went to under-hood ducting on the '14-18 XT because it was more efficient with the car's aerodynamics. I can see that when moving, but I spend a lot of time in stop and go traffic, where the TMIC gets little to no airflow. I would love a way to get the fresh flow when moving And have a way for heat to escape when sitting in gridlock. I was thinking a scoop directly over the IC would scoop when moving and let heat passively rise up and out when sitting. It would collect leaves and birds, but when you're going for performance...

·
Registered
2015 Forester XT Touring
651 Posts
I'd love to see an intake temp study to see if these hurt or help or do nothing... even though it's all for looks :)

·
Registered
2018 Touring XT CVT
187 Posts
They don't indicate if it needs pins or not. Many FG hoods in that price range ($$) have the reinforcing and hardware built-in on the underside for direct install to factory hinges and latch. No pins are shown in the pictures.
Yeeeeeaaahhhh.... but I have some serious trust issues. I've seen too many orphaned hoods on the side of the highway. ;)

·
Registered
2017 Forester XT Premium
552 Posts
Ooba Dooba.. want it, need it but, gotta see someone else be the first and offer a review. Someone please get on that TYTY.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, would sure like to see it opened and any underside air-flow functionality. Also, it being FG, a little meh'd on the idea of hood pins. My XT gets a lot of highway use. 😞

OE is TMIC. This looks to be purely for asthetics, and says it uses the OE ducting from the stock hood.

Subaru said they went to under-hood ducting on the '14-18 XT because it was more efficient with the car's aerodynamics. I can see that when moving, but I spend a lot of time in stop and go traffic, where the TMIC gets little to no airflow. I would love a way to get the fresh flow when moving And have a way for heat to escape when sitting in gridlock. I was thinking a scoop directly over the IC would scoop when moving and let heat passively rise up and out when sitting. It would collect leaves and birds, but when you're going for performance...
Compared to their product description of their smartflow shroud (https://compressivetuning.com/smartflow_shroud/), which they go at length to discuss how it improves airflow, the product description page for the hood makes me feel like this is less for performance, but I guess we won’t know until someone pulls the trigger. With the TMIC I would think there’s at least some benefit to the scoop whether your driving city or highway miles.

On that note, any thoughts on their smartflow shroud? New to the Forester game and looking to make small improvements before I start dropping serious money.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts