Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2014 forester XT cvt
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I park my XT in the garage and I noticed after I shut the XT off..close the garage door then I hear a particular sound coming from the engine area.

I can only describe it as a "tick tick tick" sound like oil/ fluids are dripping back down to the oil pan/ coolant reservoir. The noise is quite loud in a closed garage..

I checked the garage floor for oil leaks/coolant leaks but there is nothing.

The engine when I shut it off is in normal operating temp (80 to 90C) driven in various modes I, S and S#

Anybody else noticed this sound? And is it normal??

Thanks for all feedback/comments!

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Premium AT
812 Posts
I do believe that is the sound from your heat shields cooling. It is very common and happens to nearly every car. The heat shields protect surrounding parts from the heat of your exhaust and after you park, they cool down rapidly as they are thin metal and the "ticking" sound is them contracting.

·
Registered
2013 Forester XT 4EAT
978 Posts
Different metals contracting at different rates. Happens to most things when heat is applied. My flourescent light in my house drove my wife crazy in the closet, she thought we had a leak from upstairs. The cover for the flourescent light was heating up and expanding along the housing causing a drip/tick sound.

·
Registered
323 Posts
It's primarily the exhaust and specifically the catalytic converter contracting and cooling off rapidly. It's effectively heating the garage.

Cars have done this since I was a kid, this is nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
2013 Forester XT 4EAT
978 Posts
It's primarily the exhaust and specifically the catalytic converter contracting and cooling off rapidly. It's effectively heating the garage.

Cars have done this since I was a kid, this is nothing to worry about.
I do enjoy the heating of the garage aspect. Can always depend on walking into a not frozen garage with two cars providing waste heat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts