Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The transmission gear oil is at the "low" mark on the dipstick of my 04 XT. Does anyone know how much I need to add to bring the level to the "full" mark? I found nothing in the factory service manual.

·
The convert formely known as Lexusfreak
2003 XS
3,970 Posts
Retserof said:
The transmission gear oil is at the "low" mark on the dipstick of my 04 XT. Does anyone know how much I need to add to bring the level to the "full" mark? I found nothing in the factory service manual.
The gear oil capacity is not much......the owners manual will give you total capacity, but since it's at the low level, I would add small amounts & keep checking....like 1/4 qt. :)

·
Ze flying Russian
2007 STI
2,008 Posts
I think the total capacity is 3.7 qt. Just pour slowly and check dipstick after every 0.5 qt or so. You don't want to overfill.

·
Registered
2006 '06 FXT
835 Posts
Byrdman said:
what happens if you overfill it?
You go into the kitchen, rummage through the drawers, find the turkey baster, sneak it outside, and suck out the excess. Once done, you dry of the baster, put it in your tool box, and drive to ***-Mart to buy your wife a new one before you are shot for stealing her stuff to use on your car.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
I think I'd start putting in 1/8 quart untill I get the feel of how much the oil level is increasing. A 1/8 inch over or under the full line will not hurt anything.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts