Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you had to choose between a '17 XT Touring (69k miles carvana) or '18 XT Premium (50k miles local dealer) which would you choose? Identical pricing ($26k). Local dealer also advertises "lifetime powertrain warranty" on the subaru (honda dealer). I haven't looked much in to that but I take it with a grain of salt, especially with any modifications.

I plan to upgrade the headunit to get carplay, swap in STI seats when I get around to it but I assume those headlights are way better on the Touring and looks relatively expensive to swap in projectors

·
Super Moderator
2014 2.5i Limited CVT
5,368 Posts
1 - don't believe the bull... uh ... stuff ... the dealer is giving you about a "lifetime powertrain warranty" because there are probably so many hoops and hurdles to get repairs it would not be worth it...

2 - mileage - while both are relatively low miles, they're still both used vehicles and you're subject to having to contend with the maintenance history, driving styles and such of the previous owners. So even if the Premium is 1 year newer and has lower miles, it could have been used harder and may not be as good of a deal. In either case, see if Carvana and the local dealer will offer you the ability to have the car inspected by a trusted mechanic (preferably one that specializes in Subaru or has a great working knowledge of Subaru and the complexities.

3 - Premium vs Touring - that's all about trim and equipment. Take a look at the cars101.com website for the Forester and compare the 2017 and 2018 XTs. Touring has more standard equipment - leather, driver seat memory settings, fog lights, LED headlamps & steering responsive lamps, better safety tech (or nannies), better head unit, dual zone AC vs single zone, additional chrome trim, Touring leather was available in black or saddle brown, Premium was black cloth only.

4 - Mechanically they're both the same - same engine and driveline, same wheels, same CVT, same, same, same; the differences are all about the equipment. One other note - the 2018 Touring could have been had with the 50th Anniversary Package, but that's a moot point, as the 2018 under consideration is a Premium

Either will allow you to swap out parts with an STI or any other Impreza based model. Since you are planning on and audio system upgrade, the Premium may be easier to do, as it probably would not have the already upgraded Harman Kardon system that the Touring will have (which includes more/better speakers, an amp, and more).

For me, personally, the Touring would be a better choice - especially if it has the saddle brown interior. I don't like black interiors and (living in the desert) the added heat gain of an all black interior just is a bit NO from me.

In either case, you should contact your local Subaru dealer and ask if you can still get the Gold+ extended warranty coverage for either of them.

You'll never know the full history of either vehicle, so you'll never know if either was damaged by a previous owner and fixed.

·
Premium Member
'14 Forester Touring - NA, '15 Legacy Limited, '95 Impreza WRX STi, some Toyota s***ty technical
17 Posts
For me, personally, the Touring would be a better choice - especially if it has the saddle brown interior. I don't like black interiors and (living in the desert) the added heat gain of an all black interior just is a bit NO from me.

In either case, you should contact your local Subaru dealer and ask if you can still get the Gold+ extended warranty coverage for either of them.
Everything this guy said. I personally wouldn't settle for less than a Touring after having driven and owned various versions. Once you spoil yourself you won't want any less.

I personally was not a fan of the navigation system, though the rest of the HK system was amazing. The headlights are excellent but the power rear gate is ungodly slow. I'll be disabling that system myself.

·
Registered
2003 Forester 2.5 XS 5spd 2012 FXT
77 Posts
I had a touring and just the factory fogs and factory led srh headlights are well worth it. Also you get power rear gate with the touring

·
Registered
2005 2.5X 4EAT 2017 2.5i Prem CVT
634 Posts
With all of the title and temp tag issues they've been having I'd stay far away from Carvana.

·
Registered
2018 Forester XT Touring
6 Posts
I ended up with a 2018 XT Touring (and Fozzie mine ended up the 50th Anniversary Edition) and couldn't be happier. It was the small things that made the touring just feel a little more special inside. Like that feeling you get when you decide to fly premium economy over economy, not a drastic change but your like "Oh, this is nice"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts