Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

MAX price to pay for 2014 XT Touring w/ eyesight package, hitch and 2k mileage?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2015 XT Touring CVT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning on ordering a 2015 but then I came across this used 14 XT for sale with 2000 mileage listed for $33,500.

The dealer is NOT a Subaru dealer and got it on a trade in so they aren't super knowledgable about what packages or upgrades it has.

1) It has homelink, how could i figure out if he got one of the packages with homelink in it or just got it on its own? Also it has rear cargo rubber mat but no rubber mats anywhere else. It seems to have splash guards in the picture.

According to truecar.com a NEW XT Touring with the eyesight, keyless, hid package and oem trailer hitch would cost $34,000. So $500 less for 2kmiles doesn't seem like a good deal. I've read a new car once taken off the dealers lot lose a few thousand instantly so their listing price doesn't make sense.

2) How much should I offer/settle for on this XT?
3) What would be the best way to approach this negotiation?

We haven't talked at all about the price yet. MANY Thanks in advance, I can't wait to get one of these machines! :cool:

·
Registered
2014 FXT Premium CVT
49 Posts
If I were in your position, I'd contact actual dealerships to see what they're offering on price. Truecar was useful, but the dealer I went to actually beat their price on by $600, without any haggling.

Having dealer quoted prices might be a better apples for apples comparison versus using Truecar, which is more of an average.

If it matters, I bought a 2014 FXT Premium, with Homelink and a few other accessories for $27,089. MSRP was $29,643.

·
Registered
2015 XT Premium CVT
2,857 Posts
I would not really go by Truecar I was getting quotes on a 2014 XT Premium no options Truecar was saying $27,676 from the dealers it listed not sure if these prices included destination. Got a quote from a local dealer $26,758 including destination and free Subaru Gold Plan warranty not sure what that is but sounds good.

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT CVT
179 Posts
I wouldn't even purchase it for $30K. It's used and not even at a Subaru dealer that can certify it...longer warranty. You can get a new 2014 Forester XT with EyeSight with some accessories for around $32,700. Many have gotten it for that price. Do some shopping for new ones. I would pay around $28,000 the one you found.

·
Premium Member
2014 Forester XT Touring CVT
12,780 Posts
You can get a new 2014 Forester XT with EyeSight with some accessories for around $32,700. Many have gotten it for that price. Do some shopping for new ones. I would pay around $28,000 the one you found.
I agree with this.

For that price, you would be better off waiting for a 2015 so you can get exactly what you want.

·
Registered
2015 XT Touring CVT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So we finally spoke on price and the manager said he already had multiple offers for $32k from Subaru dealers. So I guess there's no sense for me to make a bid as it's over 2 hour drive from where I live. Back to the drawing board. : /

·
Registered
2014 Forester 2.5 Touring CVT
25 Posts
So we finally spoke on price and the manager said he already had multiple offers for $32k from Subaru dealers. So I guess there's no sense for me to make a bid as it's over 2 hour drive from where I live. Back to the drawing board. : /
I doubt very seriously that he has had multiple offers for $32K from Subaru dealers. The ACV (Actual Cash Value) trade in value on that car was probably around $28,500 (+/- $1000) and that is the most any dealer would be willing to put into it.

That car would be worth about $28K to me, but the dealer would not sell for that. Like others have said, I'd rather just pay $32,500 or so and get a brand new one exactly like I wanted.

·
Registered
2014 Xt touring Cvt
174 Posts
I doubt very seriously that he has had multiple offers for $32K from Subaru dealers. The ACV (Actual Cash Value) trade in value on that car was probably around $28,500 (+/- $1000) and that is the most any dealer would be willing to put into it.

That car would be worth about $28K to me, but the dealer would not sell for that. Like others have said, I'd rather just pay $32,500 or so and get a brand new one exactly like I wanted.

GL with a 2015 touring with eyesight for 32 lol.

·
Registered
2015 xt touring cvt
124 Posts
I am in a similar situation. 33,735 with out tax n tags for 2014 XT touring w eyesight. I want that adaptive cuise bad but gave up when I was looking at 38000. My max is 34000 w tax and tags no eyesight and I have that set up with a different dealship. I would feel like a bum playing them off each other because the other dealer is a friend/acquaintance. Is eyesight worth the depreciated vehicle/possible engine tranny updates. Also dealer with eyesight has a lifetime powertrain guarantee...thoughts?

·
Registered
2016 OPTIMA, RDX 6 speed auto for both
565 Posts
Options only matter for the first 3 years of ownership. After that, they don't factor into the value at all. It goes more towards years and mileage and condition.

·
Registered
2015 xt touring cvt
124 Posts
I am not really worried about depreciation as I will prob keep the car for 200000. More worried about the possiblity of 15 being more reliable than 14 or should I save the bucks. I would have to squeeze him down to 35000 tax n tags to make me feel better about it...

·
Registered
2018 2.0 FXT-Touring CVT
3,116 Posts
If you believe that, I have a bridge to sell you.....

I am not really worried about depreciation as I will prob keep the car for 200000. More worried about the possiblity of 15 being more reliable than 14 or should I save the bucks. I would have to squeeze him down to 35000 tax n tags to make me feel better about it...
Shop around some more, that's not a good deal.

·
Registered
2003 4Runner Auto
5 Posts
My question would be why was it traded in??? Only used vehicles I've ever seen that new are mostly lemons, with the very rare "I didn't like the seats/engine/ride/etc"

·
Registered
369 Posts
My question would be why was it traded in??? Only used vehicles I've ever seen that new are mostly lemons, with the very rare "I didn't like the seats/engine/ride/etc"
couldn't actually afford the payment is most likely.

·
Registered
2015 xt touring cvt
124 Posts
Ahh I had a similar but not exact situation. I am not too familiar with forums should I have started a new thread???

The 2014 is new, but it has been at the dealership for x amount of time. I may go take a look at it tomorrow, to see if it has more than a few miles on it and to talk him down another grand or two... I feel like I should be getting a bigger break than 4 already knocked off the top.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Ahh I had a similar but not exact situation. I am not too familiar with forums should I have started a new thread???

The 2014 is new, but it has been at the dealership for x amount of time. I may go take a look at it tomorrow, to see if it has more than a few miles on it and to talk him down another grand or two... I feel like I should be getting a bigger break than 4 already knocked off the top.
yes a new thread would help make that a lot clearer.

take a look at the 2014 prices paid thread in this subforum (forester shopping).

We got our `14 FXT Touring about 2 months ago I think for 3% under invoice. Our car had 12 miles on it as delivered. You can find the invoice pricing at edmunds.com or truecar.com (harder to find on truecar, scroll down a bit after configuring as they kind of bury it now).

·
Registered
2005 Honda Manual
12 Posts
Eye sight in the 2015 forester has no blind spot monitering.

on the 2015 outback it does is it worth it due to the fact it's missing that I wouldn't get it for me the insruance is the same so why bother it's just adaptive crusie control and auto braking. Never really had a problem with that.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts