Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Silver Sport
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had our new XT for two days. Our 3rd XT is different than our old ones. It is bigger, especially in the back seat area. More SUV than wagon. Feels taller. It will be used by 'she who must be obeyed' during the week. We'll use it for Rocky Mtn. Interstates & backroads on weekends. She looked at several vehicles, including, the CR-V, RAV-4, Liberty and 2011 Sorento V6. She(we) wanted all weather capability, comfort, some ground clearance, punch to pass trucks on grades and to get herself out of trouble, visibility and IIHS safety. Her 'feelings'/comments: CR-V very nice interior and good handling, good quality, needs more clearance, 'adequate' punch. RAV-4 cheap looking interior, adequate handling and visibility, V6:good acceleration, kind of boring. Liberty: o.k., but cheap interior, just o.k. handling and ride, poor passing power, kind of crude feeling, but good on local dirt roads. Sorento: nice interior, o.k. handling, ride and acceleration, felt a little too big with blind spots, reliability/IIHS unknown. XT: nice interior, great visibility, nice handling and comfortable ride, plenty of punch, the most FUN to drive.

·
Premium Member
2004 Forester 4EAT
5,462 Posts
"We" actually sold our 06 Sorento with 30k miles to get an 04 fozzy with 90k miles. Wife loves the fozzy.

·
Registered
05 XT 5MT
308 Posts
SWMBO knows best. lol. I only see that acronym used on hbt.

·
Registered
2009 Forester
8 Posts
same here

Exact same boat here... The wife wanted to upgrade to a SUV from her 2006 civic. It had to have cold weather options (Canadian winters), ground clearence, AWD, some punch, etc.

We test drove them all and she dicided on the Forester XT which I am very pleased with so far!

·
Registered
2020 Silver Sport
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I see where the show on government supported PBS liked the Govt. Motors car the best in their latest comparo.
For a 'long term update', by me, not PBS...We took a week long trip down into CO. The turbo performed fantastically at 10,000+ feet in 'fast paced' driving on 2 lane mtn. roads. GREAT FUN!
Locally, it remains impressive in day to day driving. Did I mention it is still FUN to Drive? Mileage around 23 combined city/country 2 lane/Interstate(79mph) including long steep grades while not driving for mileage. Plenty of room, good seats, still enjoy the great sight lines in all directions, easy to maneuver, good ground clearance, the ease of working the controls and the massive moonroof.
Of course, Subaru All wheel drive is excellent in the Snow. The advanced full time AWD and ground clearance paid off when a sudden blinding storm hit, white out ahead, traffic suddenly began skidding and big rigs stopped. We quickly chose not to be a victim and just drove off the highway onto the rough, over small rocks and grass, several hundred feet, up a bank and out of danger as the cars and tractor trailers began to converge on one another. We then watched the mess until the weather and road cleared.

Negatives: No biggies. The typical Subaru rattles/squeaks remain. Minor, not loud or distracting, but they are there. We haven't obsessed on them or tried to find or fix them. We haven't taken it into the dealer, except for oil/filter changes.

·
Registered
2011 Forester X Prem. AWP 4EAT
265 Posts
We looked at CR-Vs when we bought the Outback. Felt like a mini-van with a hood to me.

I love Hondas, but the CRV didn't do it for me...

You made the right choice...
Same here, I love Honda's but I had flashbacks of driving a minivan when I was behind the wheel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts