Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, time for a good spanking. Why would I want an XT over a PTGT Cruiser? Styling notwithstanding, they seems somewhat comparable-GT handles better stock but XT outruns it. I hate the tramp axle in the GT though...

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, the GT is almost 5000. off msrp so that helps pre-depreciate it.

And this comes on the heels of me driving past a poor old sap today who got snuffed after getting tboned by an out of control driver today. 6 hours later and the major highways's still closed off so side airbags and 5 star ratings go a long way with me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Impreza STi vs Neon DNA?

Are you serious?

How long have you been on the fence about buying an XT?

Come on in, the water is warm....

Peace, JP

04 MT FXT Cruiserfier

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I used to travel for work and was on a project at DaimlerChrysler (DCX) headquarters in Auburn Hills. The parking lots up close to the building are for DCX and DCX-related vehicles. Any others have to park farther away. Therefore, I tended to rent DCX vehicles. One of them was the PT Cruiser base model. For a simple, cheap vehicle that thing did the trick. It's built on the Neon platform and has a much better interior layout than the Neon.

If price and simplicity are your big driver then I don't think you can beat the PT Cruiser/Turbo. They really are not bad vehicles. But they're still econoboxes with a beam rear axle.

I now own a FXT and there's really so much more to the vehicle. Utility is key along with traction and power. I wouldn't want to put 200 hp+ down through the PT's chassis. But obviously there's no issues with it in the FXT.

Oh, and the transmission. Is the automatic standard? Chrylser has never been known for having stout or smooth-shifting transmissions. The PT was herky jerky engaging gears with the base model. I can't imagine how poorly it would do with a turbo beating on it.

To me, this purchase decision would seem to hinge on what you're looking to spend. More, buy the FXT, less, get the PT.

S

·
0 Posts
The PT has a cheap straight rear axle, this is 2006 for God's sake - no one should be putting straight rear axles on any car. Independent suspension or I'd rather walk.

·
BLUE WASABI, (#2 Info Provider)
2008 SG Model D
9,051 Posts
PT built on the neon platform. Neon = cheap, unreliable, crappy car.

FXT is a much better vehicle all around, reliable, safe, roomier, better tranny, AWD, beast of an engine, handling you can improve, and the looks grow on you if you don't change the exterior at all...changing the exterior can make a world of a difference.

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In it's defence, there's tons of followers of the neon/pt that love them. Axle sux but you'd all be impressed with a ride in a GT(my last car aside from my TC chryslerati) was an e36 M3 so I'm coming from high standards.

Certainly I can get the XT to outhandle the GT but box stock, the GT is the one I'd choose to take a lap at Daytona as wacky as that sounds. And the GT is a cheaper car on the sticker also so you pays yer $$ and takes yer choice.

After driving 15' next to that poor old sod hanging out his side window who was snuffed by an Infinti today, I'll take the XT 5***** crash rating. Not a pretty sight and hopefully I'll have sweet dreams...keep you posted on the 04 I'm chasing.

·
Sydney Dinner Organiser
MY05 XT luxury
1,694 Posts
Id have to have my eyes cut out to own the PT, personally I think its close to the ugliest car on the road.
The Forester is no beauty, but I wouldnt call it ugly!

·
Registered
2005 LGT Limited wagon
553 Posts
a buddy of mine has a modded ptgt with an auto that runs maybe mid to high 13 second 1/4 miles. he has a fair little bit of money tied up in it. he says if he had the money, he'd rather have an fxt. a gleaming endorsement for the pt if i ever heard one.

seriously, the pt doesn't handle that much better in my opinion, i've driven both. plus, with the fxt being of impreza heritage, it's not hard to make the fxt handle like a sports car. the fxt also has awd, more storage space, a bigger back seat, better resale value, cheaper insurance (i'd bet anyway) and the ultimate sleeper factor.

for me, the choice is simple.

·
Registered
276 Posts
For me being a (muscle car era not the new stuff) Mopar guy id go with the Subaru just for the AWD. Now if you ask me FXT or the new Magnum with the Hemi and AWD...well im taking the Magnum but thats about the only car that id take over the Subaru in the Chrysler line up that has AWD and the extra room in back. The PT....no thanks!

·
Registered
2005 LGT Limited wagon
553 Posts
the magnum is cool. the only problem is when you add the hemi and awd, it ends up be a lot more expensive than the forester, which is still quicker. if dodge came off the price a little, i'd have bought one of those instead. but, my father is planning on buying one, so i'll just borrow his. :)

·
6/22/76 - 12/21/14 , Gone but not forgotten
742 Posts
Get the Forester.

While the PT Cruiser is a decent vehicle, I've had the luxury of driving one as a rental, and it just didn't feel as refined. Treat yourself to something nice ;)

·
Registered
2004 Sube slushy
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Alright already, deposit's in on the 04 XTPP!

·
Registered
04 XT
252 Posts
The PT Cruiser is a death trap compaired to the Forester, i wouldn't consider a PT Cruiser just for that reason alone.

·
Premium Member
98 Forester...what else
5,714 Posts
"Safest small SUV we've ever tested" - comment by Insurance Institute for Highway Safety about the Forester

Personal experience of having extracted myself from a seven foot deep ditch with my Forester upside down...and suffering only a scratch on my knee...

...Kanga saved my life. All the glass was intact, although the windshield was shattered, it held together even after righting it back on its feet. I promise that I won't be driving ANY domestic car after that, and doubtful I'll EVER own something that isn't made by Subaru.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts