Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2010 FXT Limited
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard that the first oil change for an XT should be at approx. 1000 mi. to prevent potential turbo problems from metal shavings accumulating where they shouldn't be. After that, every 3-5K. Does that sound right??? I apologize if this has been discussed 1000 times already. Oil change type and frequency, religion and politics. :icon_rolleyes: Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT
271 Posts
I'm sure it varies amongst the different markets...

In New Zealand the first change is at 5000km/3000mi, the next is at 10,000km/6000mi and then every 10,000km after that.

What does the manual say ?

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,813 Posts
Oil is the lifeline of your engine. Change it MORE often than the manual suggests. The southwest is hard on engines, and it's due to a number of different factors, all of which contribute to the thermal breakdown of the oil.

First, you have the turbo, which already superheats the oil all on it's own. Second, you live in what you could call an "extreme" climate (the southwest). The motor is running at a higher operating temperature due to the higher ambient temperatures. Mix that with the fact that the A/C is run longer, and through a significantly longer period of time throughout the year, putting extra load on the engine each and every day (which also generates a lot of heat). Add to that, hotter air intake temperatures. Hotter air means the engine has to work harder to achieve the same power output, putting further load and heat on the engine which transfers to the oil. On top of all that, you have the dust, which also finds it's way into the oil.

Also, take into consideration your driving habits. The harder you are on the car, the more frequent the changes need to be.

So, considering all of the above, my recommendation is 3,000 miles should be the maximum interval between oil & filter changes in the southwest. Use whatever oil you prefer, and make sure you are checking it every couple of weeks or so as turbo motors can eat a quart or two between changes. Reason I mention that is because a low oil level means the existing oil (say 3 quarts) is now having to take on the extra heat that the entire 4.5 quarts was supposed to handle, FURTHER accelerating thermal breakdown of the existing oil, which lowers its ability to properly lubricate critical parts, etc. etc.

It's a lot of information I know, but I'm not looking to scare anyone, just trying to make people aware of the extra burdens our climate puts on these motors. Just take it all into consideration when making your determination of what intervals you would like to go with. I say no more than 3,000 between changes and check it religiously. (since going through the nightmare of having to rebuild mine, I'm checking the oil level every gas stop) :biggrin:

Oh, and the first oil change at 1000 miles sounds about right. Changing that will flush out any remaining residual contaminates from manufacturing/assembly.

Okay, I'm done typing now, lol. :Banane37:

·
Premium Member
2008 2008 2.5i-2018 XT
13,212 Posts
Its not required.....but its not a bad idea to do the first change sooner. I believe that the oil change intervals in the manual are far conservative. I have the NAQand have done an analysis on it at 9700 miles and the oil was more than fine. With the Turbo and Synthetic oil, its not a bad idea to do an oil analysis to see where you stand.

Blackstone Labs

·
Registered
2010 FXT Limited
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for the input. I typically have never gone over 3000 mi. between oil changes. I will be using synthetic oil do to the conditions. I probably will be changing that at 3000 mi. too. Maybe a bit overboard, but like Blue Fox said, it's the lifeline of the car. Relatively cheap insurance compared to the investment. Thanks again for the info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts