Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X SE
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a new 2010 Forester 2.5x ,and I want to put the portable XM radio (roady 2 in) Has anyone routed the antenna dome in the 2010? I dont want a wire coming out of the door jam to the roof. Was wondering how hard it is to route the wire all the way to the hatch,and maybe through the opening with minimal wire hanging out.

·
Premium Member
2010 2.5 XT Limited
342 Posts
Just bought a new 2010 Forester 2.5x ,and I want to put the portable XM radio (roady 2 in) Has anyone routed the antenna dome in the 2010? I dont want a wire coming out of the door jam to the roof. Was wondering how hard it is to route the wire all the way to the hatch,and maybe through the opening with minimal wire hanging out.
I have this problem, too. That's why I'm going to get my new stereo install at BestBuy. I told the guy to route the antenna for me. I'll let you know how he route it after tomorrow. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X SE
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have this problem, too. That's why I'm going to get my new stereo install at BestBuy. I told the guy to route the antenna for me. I'll let you know how he route it after tomorrow. :biggrin:
Cool. I have mounted this same Roady 2 in two of my vehicles before,but they were pretty easy. I'm thinking of pulling it out of my Excursion and putting it in the Forester. I would be interested in how they run the antenna wire. I'm thinking of running from the back of the roof down through the weather stripping and then along the floor under the trim. My truck is large so there was plenty of room for all the wires, but I'm thinking of going stealth this time and hiding the whole thing in the center console and using the power outlet in the bottom to power it up. Don't know yet. Let me know how it goes. :rock:

·
Registered
2010 Forester(sold 11/12) Manual
49 Posts
Mine (XM onyX) is out through the door jamb and up the side of the driver's side windshield which is not ideal. So, I'm interested too.

I considered running to the back of the car and going up close to terrestrial radio antenna but that run (particularly out the rear hatch) looked to me to be uglier. Gotta have XM! :icon_biggrin:

Thanks in advance for the info!

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X Prem
2 Posts
What I did was mount it on the roof, drivers side in front of the roof rails. I ran it down along the side of the windshield on the rubber trim and then i used a thin bead of silicone sealant along the rubber windshield gasket to keep the wire in place.

When you get to the bottom of the windshield, you can pop up a corner of the plastic tray that sits underneath the wipers and route the wire under it to get into the engine bay.

Once its down under the hood, assuming you have an automatic, you should see a black rubber gasket in the firewall that you can cut a small hole in and go through there to get into the cab.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X SE
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What I did was mount it on the roof, drivers side in front of the roof rails. I ran it down along the side of the windshield on the rubber trim and then i used a thin bead of silicone sealant along the rubber windshield gasket to keep the wire in place.

When you get to the bottom of the windshield, you can pop up a corner of the plastic tray that sits underneath the wipers and route the wire under it to get into the engine bay.

Once its down under the hood, assuming you have an automatic, you should see a black rubber gasket in the firewall that you can cut a small hole in and go through there to get into the cab.

Good idea. I thought of that,but i wondered if the rail would interfear with the reception. I'm so hooked on XM, that I can't stand to listen to regular radio anymore. To many ads.

·
Registered
2009 Forester 2.5X Prem
2 Posts
Good idea. I thought of that,but i wondered if the rail would interfear with the reception. I'm so hooked on XM, that I can't stand to listen to regular radio anymore. To many ads.
From what I've seen it doesn't. I don't lose signal anywhere that I didn't lose it before when I had the antenna on the top of my old car where it had clear line-of-sight in all directions. I have it maybe two inches in front of the rail.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X SE
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From what I've seen it doesn't. I don't lose signal anywhere that I didn't lose it before when I had the antenna on the top of my old car where it had clear line-of-sight in all directions. I have it maybe two inches in front of the rail.

Good to know. :)>

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 Forester XT
15,121 Posts
I put mine on the rear above the hatch on the passenger side. Ran down the weather stripping through the compartments to the right of the spare, under the rear seat and then it is exposed between the front and rear seat. I could have eliminated it but it was no big deal.

Just be careful that when you open the hatch it doesn't mash the antenna and put in a small dent in the roof. Ask me.. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X SE
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I put mine on the rear above the hatch on the passenger side. Ran down the weather stripping through the compartments to the right of the spare, under the rear seat and then it is exposed between the front and rear seat. I could have eliminated it but it was no big deal.

Just be careful that when you open the hatch it doesn't mash the antenna and put in a small dent in the roof. Ask me.. :rolleyes:

Dang! sorry to here about that. Make sense though.

·
Premium Member
2010 2.5 XT Limited
342 Posts
Bad News, the XM Direct2 I bought cannot be programmed. The electronic shop guy at BestBuy. the tuner from Audiovox sucks in general. He spent hour and a half try to program it with no luck. He told me to buy the Terk tuner instead, so as soon as get the part, I will make appointment to install...

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X SE
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bad News, the XM Direct2 I bought cannot be programmed. The electronic shop guy at BestBuy. the tuner from Audiovox sucks in general. He spent hour and a half try to program it with no luck. He told me to buy the Terk tuner instead, so as soon as get the part, I will make appointment to install...
Bummer man.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5X SE
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hahaha..thanks..its no big deal. I keep it mechanically perfect but I don't sweat the finish/exterior. :D

That's cool. I was thinking of you when I carefully placed the antenna. Once you get that first scratch it doesn't hurt that much anymore. Keeping her in top mecanical shape is the way to go.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts