Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Just setting up my first journal for the swap I’m about to do. Currently have an 05 Forester XT with a 2.5 that’s now a paper weight. I’ve settled on the EJ20X swap. Will be moving all the 2.5 accessories over to the new engine, changing out the timing belt, water pump, maybe the oil pump. For the AVCS exhaust side I’m still undecided if I’ll reuse the cams from the 2.5 or just move the existing cams to 55 degrees (2 teeth CCW). Then go and have it tuned.

I’ve read everything I could get my hands onto about this swap and watched enough really badly produced YouTube videos for a life time. So we’ll see if I learned enough to make this happen.
Brandon

·
Registered
2004 XT 5 Speed
78 Posts
My buddy has done multiple swaps with those motors, with a lot of success!
More or less plug and play, with your intake manifold and turbo setup. Been "re dressing" the motors with fresh t-belt kits, new water and vacuum lines ect.
Going into a single avcs car, just been leaving the exhaust cam sensor unplugged. No need to change heads/ disturb head gaskets and what not.
Hope that helps a bit!

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
Thanks for the advice, I wasn’t planning on tearing the heads off just throwing around the idea of swapping exhaust cams. Will be starting the engine removal today, getting the old motor on an engine stand. Might spend some time cleaning the engine bay as well.
The old motor has a brand new water pump, brand new oil pump and timing belt. The motor literally died a week or two later after all the work. Which makes me think it skipped timing. So we’ll see.

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spent a few hours pulling hoses and wires in preparation to pull the engine. I have power steering and heater core hoses left before I can unmate the engine from the trans. I’m hoping I’ll have time today just get the engine out.

After taking the intercooler off I was hit the smell of gas. Also, found a good amount of oil in one of the intake hoses. The engine is gross and covered in oil so once the motor is out the engine bay is going to need agood cleaning. Under the car is super oily so if I do any suspension work I won’t need to worry about seizes bolts haha.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I bought an ej20y and it came with the auto trans. So now my question is how do I figure out if it’s the same 4eat and what the differential ratios are?

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good day journal and anyone who happens to be reading this.

Finally there’s day light and I got the engine and trans out of my truck and separated. I looked up the transcode which lead me to a form post talking about the use of 5EAT in there Impreza. So needless to say it’s a no go but now I have to research it the 5EAT torque converter will work in my XT.

Anyway here are some progress photos, this part is super easy mostly because everything is so light. I did leave the torque converter attached to the engine but when I pull the engine out of the forester I will be undoing all the flex plate bolts so that the TC stays in the trans. Then when it’s time for install double checking that the it’s fully seated before I drop the engine in.

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Forester XT 4eat
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nearly forgot to mention. Who ever pulled this motor before exporting it cut the main harness plug off. So the whole harness needs to be swapped out from the original motor as well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts