Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide whether or not to get a 2010 Turbo.

I have heard that the turbo engines have lower reliability and require more repair than the X model. I know that years ago turbo engines in general had less reliability - is this still the case for Forester engines?

·
Premium Member
2019 Crosstrek 2018 XT
14,380 Posts
There are multiple/multiple/multiple posts on this subject. This subject usually turns into a X vs XT pi55 ing contest.

You could do a search

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
Drive one of each. The XT is A LOT, and I do mean A LOT more fun to drive, but premium gas can be a deal breaker. My wife sometimes says she wishes she had the power I do, but when I tell her we could trade her X for an XT she always passes. She loves her car, doesn't want to have to buy premium, and her desire for the extrapower is not all that often.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drive one of each. The XT is A LOT, and I do mean A LOT more fun to drive, but premium gas can be a deal breaker. My wife sometimes says she wishes she had the power I do, but when I tell her we could trade her X for an XT she always passes. She loves her car, doesn't want to have to buy premium, and her desire for the extrapower is not all that often.
If it really mostly comes down to the gas, that makes it easy for me. I don't drive so many miles where the difference in cost between regular and premium makes that large a difference. And it seems like premium is widely available (is it sometimes harder to find? I never paid that close attention).

If the fun to drive factor isn't offset by increased maintenance issues, than I think the premium is a small price to pay.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,784 Posts
I have heard that the turbo engines have lower reliability and require more repair than the X model.
Considering the head gasket issues of the previous-years' N/A models, that's backwards. Not sure where you've heard this, but it isn't true.

If you've driven the turbo model and want one, than you need to buy the XT or you'll kick yourself later. If you have no desire for the turbo, the N/A models will return better mileage and may not require you to buy premium fuel. If you are looking for a 5-speed, there is no choice anymore.

Stan

·
The Sub kit guy
2005 Forester X & XT VF39
13,008 Posts
Im not sure how the SH model owner due mpg wise, but for me it is the following:

X 23/28
XT 19/26

It does help that my XT has a VF39 and a Protune though. When stock my XT was 17/23.

·
Registered
2010 Forester 2.5XT
51 Posts
Technically your going to kick yourself either way:

X -- you love the mileage but wish you had more power and the ever present hood scoop.

XT -- you will love the power and hood scoop but hate the mileage. Premium gas is a ***** but I've been doing okay with 89 octane in the XT, no knocks yet.

Choose wisely!

·
Registered
2014 Forester XT Premium CVT
64 Posts
I am in this same boat. I am looking to buy a daily driver to be able to park my G8 GXP in the winter months. It gets about 16 MPG all the time and has 415Hp. The XT getting around 20 MPG would save me a ton in gas, and still offer a little bit of fun. On the other side the non turbo would offer better milleage, but can I live without the power?

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
376 Posts
Here I'll make it easy for you, the XT is a chick magnet. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2002 wrx
35 Posts
If u want to mod or upgrade a vehicle, then Xt is the answer. If you just want to get from point A to point B then forester sport is enough.

·
Smooshed FOTY 2011
2005 Lifted 2.5 XT 5-Speed MT Dual-Range
5,732 Posts
If you want to love your car, smile every-time your drive it and giggle when the boost kicks in, then the XT it is.

If you'd rather stab yourself in the neck with a pencil to make your commute more exciting, then go for the N/A. :biggrin:

·
Registered
2009 Forester XT Limited
239 Posts
If you want to love your car, smile every-time your drive it and giggle when the boost kicks in, then the XT it is.

If you'd rather stab yourself in the neck with a pencil to make your commute more exciting, then go for the N/A. :biggrin:
glad I threw out all my pencils and enjoy the giggle moments at least once or twice a day. The gas price, we're talking a few cents more per gallon, a couple bucks in a tank maybe, if that would bother you buy the n/a. But the xt is very fun to drive, and you only go around once. Combined highway/city for me has been a consistent 22.2mpg, the other day driving from Hershey, PA back to sunny Boston, NY I was reading 24.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts