Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2005 2.5XT
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend that has 02-03 WRX Wagon springs that is willing to give to me :) Will these springs fit the stock Forester struts? Does anyone have any pics of a Forester with such combo?

I know that alot of people will say that it will kill the strust, but I really don't care since I'll just replace them if that happens. My Forester is an 05 XT.

·
Registered
04 FXT, 61 Stude
1,742 Posts
I could be wrong but if you replace the stock springs with 02-03 style you will need new tophats because the springs are set up different. The stock shock bodies will work, but as you already know they will wear down prematurely. IMO just wait for a full wrx/04 sti takeoff setup. I went with wrx struts with '05 sti springs on my XT and love them!

Oh and remember that you want the wrx struts over the wagon struts, the sedan struts fit properly, as for springs either go with wagon springs or a wrx/sti spring setup with the paranoid 3/8" saggy butt spacers. Hope this helps! :biggrin:

·
Registered
2005 2.5XT
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've seen a pic of a guy with stock struts and 05 STI springs and it looked perfect. Does anyone know for sure if I would need top hats to use these springs?

·
Registered
04 FXT, 61 Stude
1,742 Posts
Just looked around and saw that springs and tophats need to be same year/style to work. So, 02/03 springs need a 02/03 tophat setup. :Banane35:

·
Registered
2005 2.5XT
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Damm, ok, so I can run 04-07 WRX/STI springs on the stock 05 Forester suspension without needing tophats replaced. Thanks guys.

·
Administrator
2004 Forester XT Premium 4EAT
30,106 Posts
Why match springs and struts that weren't designed for each other? Certainly not for any improvement in handling, as the shorter springs will force the Forester struts to work outside of their useable stroke.

·
Premium Member
2007 XT Sport 5MT
24,101 Posts
Why match springs and struts that weren't designed for each other? Certainly not for any improvement in handling, as the shorter springs will force the Forester struts to work outside of their useable stroke.
A very good point, but I've seen a few members that didn't bother swapping to at least WRX struts with their WRX/STi springs. I've stopped caring since it's really up to the other members, and all the info I give out is for reference only.

I'm running WRX replacement struts with my '05 STi springs. They're a perfect match. I personally would agree with Pleiad7 and not run the WRX springs on the Forester struts because they wear them out prematurely... and the '07 STi springs would pretty much kill the Forester struts if they are in fact shorter.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
..not to mention the struts wouldn't be doing their job properly and would make the car's handling less safe and ride quality worse. It would lower the car though. I'm not hatin', just making sure you are aware of the potential consequences.

Oh, you'd also have to cut your stock bumpstops, that's pretty standard practice when using shorter springs.

Stan

·
Registered
2005 2.5XT
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, hmmm...

I guess I'll have to find a better solution. I have a friend who has the WRX sedan suspension and is looking for the OEM suspension for trade. I could find the wagon springs and use the sedan struts.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
Or just use some tophat spacers on the rear. That would be a much better setup than Impreza springs over Forester struts.

Stan

·
Registered
NA No more! :(
8,529 Posts
<- still has wagon springs. i deleted a bunch of PMs and i can't remember.. was i supposed to get a quote for you? if so, i needed you zip.

·
Premium Member
2004 FXTi
764 Posts
Ok, hmmm...

I guess I'll have to find a better solution. I have a friend who has the WRX sedan suspension and is looking for the OEM suspension for trade. I could find the wagon springs and use the sedan struts.
Not to mention your stock struts won't last 10K miles with WRX springs, and probably won't last a whole oil change with STI springs. You would roll down the road wallowing/bouncing like a hooker in a.....:evilatyou:

Regards,
Justin Wade
2004 FXTi

1 - 16 of 16 Posts