Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it that no one talks about installing a WRX intercooler onto their FXT and rather STi intercoolers? I read somewhere in nasioc that the differences are marginal between the two besides the price. Can anyone explain why people would pay $300+ for an STi intercooler over a $100 WRX (02-05) intercooler?

·
Registered
398 Posts
well... here are my theories on the IC thing...

the FXT IC is as wide as an STi one, but not as tall... the WRX is about as tall as an STi, but not as wide... I don't think you will gain a whole lot with going taller over going wider, but with the STi you get the best of both worlds...

this brings up the point though, that the width of the XT or STi intercooler is kind of moot unless you change the rubber seal thing because it's only as wide as the WRX one...

if you take a close look you will see that your stock one probably has a ton of bent fins because of that rubber thing... :mad:

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
DanzBorin said:
the FXT IC is as wide as an STi one, but not as tall... the WRX is about as tall as an STi, but not as wide... I don't think you will gain a whole lot with going taller over going wider, but with the STi you get the best of both worlds...
Exactly.

Why bother spending (albeit cheaper) and go through the process when one could spend a bit more and go for something that will really improve performance. Some folks do it for the bling factor - look, I have an STi part on my motor - but most does it because of its true benefits.

·
No more Foz !
03 Impreza Sti
1,912 Posts
It's a good point especially as the Forester sti intercooler is basically a WRX one with a couple of minor changes as per the post on Scoobymods

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT 4EAT
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for your inputs, guys. So then this brings up my next question, will a 02-03 WRX intercooler seal/splitter be optimal to use on an STi intercooler? Does the 04+ STi intercooler seal/splitter fit well onto our 04+ FXT hoods or will it need some modification and drilling? Removing this seal/splitter will not produce optimal airflow through the intercooler no matter what TMIC you have, right? What do you FXTi guys use?

·
Registered
398 Posts
kickin_81 said:
Thank you for your inputs, guys. So then this brings up my next question, will a 02-03 WRX intercooler seal/splitter be optimal to use on an STi intercooler? Does the 04+ STi intercooler seal/splitter fit well onto our 04+ FXT hoods or will it need some modification and drilling? Removing this seal/splitter will not produce optimal airflow through the intercooler no matter what TMIC you have, right? What do you FXTi guys use?
no, the 02-03 will bend fins just like the stock one does on the XT...

i haven't tried modifying the stocker or an 04 one, so I'm not sure about the second part...

·
Registered
460 Posts
FXT said:
sti intercooler is much larger than the wrx intercooler.
The WRX STI cooler yes... but not the Forester STI cooler. The standard WRX cooler and the Forester STI cooler have the same dimensions.

Pics taken from Scoobymods (Forester STI cooler has the STI logo obviously... WRX cooler does not) :

·
Registered
398 Posts
pete_mac said:
The WRX STI cooler yes... but not the Forester STI cooler. The standard WRX cooler and the Forester STI cooler have the same dimensions.
I knew that... yes, i was referencing the ISTi, not the FSTi...

i think somebody covered the FSTi a bit further up...

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
I don't see too many Forester owners go with FSTi intercoolers when upgrading. I often see folks running used I-STi intercoolers, bought from places like IWSTI.COM/NASIOC

·
Registered
460 Posts
DanzBorin said:
I knew that... yes, i was referencing the ISTi, not the FSTi...

i think somebody covered the FSTi a bit further up...
Ah, no probs! :wink:

SKSTI said:
I don't see too many Forester owners go with FSTi intercoolers when upgrading. I often see folks running used I-STi intercoolers, bought from places like IWSTI.COM/NASIOC
Correct. However, over here in Australia, there are a few SF5 Forester GT owners who have fitted the silver WRX intercooler... it is wider than the standard Forester GT intercooler, and looks nicer too! And MUCH cheaper than an equivalent STi cooler. The WRX cooler certainly isn't relevant when you are talking about SG-series Foresters.

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
Well, I'm going to run I-STi intercooler so you down under folks go ahead and enjoy the WRX stuff. LOL

·
Registered
460 Posts
SKSTI said:
Well, I'm going to run I-STi intercooler so you down under folks go ahead and enjoy the WRX stuff. LOL
Are you going to run it on a SF or SG series?

The WRX stuff isn't a bad upgrade for the SF GT Forester, for a cost of around $AUD 100-150 or so. The I-STi cooler requires significant mods to fit onto the SF model.

Most Aussies don't bother with the I-STi cooler on the SG series, mainly due to the prices that people want on the second-hand market! It is ridiculous at times! We tend to go straight to a bar and plate top-mount for larger performance gains, as the $$ for a huge bar and plate cooler are less than the price that most of the I-STi coolers go for.

·
Premium Member
06 FXT
2,262 Posts
SG. And I understand what you're saying in regards to dollar & mod. Anything with STi stamp on it will most certainly go for $$$$. When it comes to used parts, I try not to get too trigger happy and buy the first parts I see. Shopping around and wait for the right deal (this is hard, isn't it?) is key to saving money. I've learned the hard way modding my Tacoma. I know better now with the FXT.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts