Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Automatic
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes I have read the stickies both here and Nasioc.

It get lost in the strut to spring matching. A set of wrx struts will bolt up perfectly to a 2004 FXT. If I pick up 04+ struts and springs (sedan) everything will mate up fine with the 04+ group N tophats but have saggy butt, correct?

If I do the same with 04+ wagon springs, same setup, just not saggy butt? Correct?

If I want somethig stiffer, I can go wagon pinks. Which tophats do I need? Will I not have enough damping to handle these springs on stock wrx struts?

In this process, I will also be adding rear camber bolts, upgrading the lateral
links to sti Al links, adding the sti rear takeoff sway, and kartboy rear endlinks. Am I missing any pieces of this?

Thanks,
mark

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
110 Posts
You've got it right. Try to think of it like this:

If you get WRX sedan struts, you'll want WRX sedan springs to match them. Your butt will sag a little but that doesn't bother some people.

If you go with WRX wagon struts, then any WRX wagon spring will work with them, and your butt shouldn't sag.

The exception is STI strut/springs which are 04 only since they changed the STI's in 05.

I'm in the process of the STI swap with spacers to raise the rear.

There are other possible combos that the walking encyclopedias on this forum could tell you about, but if you're still asking questions after reading all the stickies, you better stick with the basic stuff.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
You got it right. If you are going for WRX takeoffs, ideally you'll use '04-'07 sedan struts with '04-'07 wagon springs. OEM STi springs or SPT Wagon Pinks are a bit too much for stock WRX struts, but some use them with good results. If you want to get an idea of what OEM STi springs ride like, I can meet you somewhere.

Stan

·
Registered
2010 Forester XT Automatic
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stan, I would really appreciate that. I am getting my items laid out so that when I do take delivery, I will be able to have an upgrade day. Where in SF area are you? My friend (who has an 04 fxt that just went off warranty) and I would love to get a ride along.

Is that pic Laguna?

·
Registered
02 Foz 4eat
5,548 Posts
Not quite. Many people, me included, believe that about the best inexpensive "stock" option is to use WRX SEDAN struts with WRX WAGON springs. The WRX wagon rear struts can result in too much negative camber. The front struts are the same between sedan and wagon. Also, the RS/TS/WRX struts are all the same.

There is also a difference between '02-'03 struts/springs/tophats and '04+ pieces, so make sure all of your parts are for the same years.

Even using wagon springs, you may want/need saggy butt spacers to even out the look as the *** end of the Foz is bigger and heavier than the *** end of the WRX.

You've got it right. Try to think of it like this:

If you get WRX sedan struts, you'll want WRX sedan springs to match them. Your butt will sag a little but that doesn't bother some people.

If you go with WRX wagon struts, then any WRX wagon spring will work with them, and your butt shouldn't sag.

The exception is STI strut/springs which are 04 only since they changed the STI's in 05.

I'm in the process of the STI swap with spacers to raise the rear.

There are other possible combos that the walking encyclopedias on this forum could tell you about, but if you're still asking questions after reading all the stickies, you better stick with the basic stuff.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
110 Posts
Not quite. Many people, me included, believe that about the best inexpensive "stock" option is to use WRX SEDAN struts with WRX WAGON springs. The WRX wagon rear struts can result in too much negative camber. The front struts are the same between sedan and wagon. Also, the RS/TS/WRX struts are all the same.
There's the human encyclopedia thing I was talking about.:puke:
I knew somebody had it in them.

·
Premium Member
2017 VW Golf SportWagen 5MT
10,887 Posts
It was probably 130 degrees on the track that day, around 5 Subaru engines poped due to heat.

PM me if you want.

Stan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts