Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
2015 Triumph Tiger XCx 1 Down. 5 Up.
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of WRX shocks to put on but I'm now debating whether I should go with a set of KYBs and Pink FSTi springs instead... or perhaps FSTi springs on the WRX shocks (not sure whether this would be a good idea or not).

Just wondering who on here has either other these on their Forester (especially in the UK as those are the roads I'll be driving on) and what they think of them.

Reading through the forums the WRX setup will drop my FXT by about 2". From time to time, I take the FXT down a few byways to take the dogs for a walk and I'm a bit concerned that losing too much ride height will prevent me from doing this.

What I'm looking for is an improvement in handling without totally crippling the car's ability to cross the odd muddy field or unsurfaced track... I don't intend to make any sort of assault on Everest!

Would be interested to here what peoples' views, experience and opinions are.

·
Registered
2004 Forester XT
98 Posts
about a month ago i switched over to KYB gr2s and fsti pinks
i love it, body roll went from prominent to nonexistent in an afternoon.
i only dropped an inch or so... can barely tell without something to compare it to

·
Registered
2008 GRB 20th anniversary 6 MT
6,570 Posts
If you are talking about original FSTI springs and Sti pink springs for the FSTI these are very rare to find so you would have to import from Japan unless anyone is selling a second hand set.

Don't confuse the Sti pink springs for the FSTI with the Sti pink springs for the XT.

DH cars had/still have(?) IIRC a set of Sti pink springs (XT specific) so you could try them.

You can't go wrong with the original FSTI suspension which gives more than enough ground clearance to go on unpaved roads if needs be but I would prefer it slightly lower IMHO.

Let us know how you get on.

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
about a month ago i switched over to KYB gr2s and fsti pinks
i love it, body roll went from prominent to nonexistent in an afternoon.
i only dropped an inch or so... can barely tell without something to compare it to
As mentioned above, unless you have imported the "FSTI pinks" from Japan they are not FSTI pinks but Sti pink springs XT specific. I have enquired subiegirl (subaru dealer in US) who confirmed that the FSTI - Sti pink springs are only available in Japan.

If you check japanparts part numbers you will understand what I mean :)

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't confuse the Sti pink springs for the FSTI with the Sti pink springs for the XT.

DH cars had/still have(?) IIRC a set of Sti pink springs (XT specific) so you could try them.
Yes, these were the ones I was referring to... saw them on DH's website. Didn't realise that there were STi springs for the FSTi and STi springs for the XT ;o)

·
Registered
2004 forester xt
188 Posts
im just in the process of buying standard wrx shocks/springs and also would be interested to here the amount the would lower my car as i was told that if i put the sti shocks etc it would lower the car too much and mess up the geometry too much???and if so can anyone advise???cheers

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Impreza STi shocks/springs will give you a drop of about 3 - 3.5" IIRC. WRX shocks/springs drop by about 2" or so. Forester STi springs (for the XT) with Forester struts give about a 1" drop.

However, I've just spoken to DH Cars and they're not importing the Forester STi spirngs at the moment due to the weak £. They can get hold of TEIN H-tech springs but these take 1 to 2 months to arrive!!!!

I've had a good trawl of the web and can't find anyone else who stocks TEIN or FSTi springs ;o(

Whiteline used to do their "Control Springs" for a Forester which give a similar drop to the FSTi springs, however, they no longer list them on their site - though Balance Motorsport still list them so I've dropped them a line to see if they have them in stock.

If not, then that'll be one less decision I need to make and it'll be on with the WRX shocks currently sitting in my shed!

·
Mad Englishman.
MY06 Forester STi 6MT
4,157 Posts
I've had a good trawl of the web and can't find anyone else who stocks TEIN or FSTi springs ;o(
Worth giving James @ GRD a call on Tein stuff as he has a good relationship with Tein UK (been very useful in the past on stuff related to mine :biggrin:). David Hendry only do a Japanese order every 2 months if they've got enough to order, whereas James may be able to source from UK stock.

·
Registered
2004 XT Manual
837 Posts
I am having my WRX shocks/springs fitted this month by [email protected] Why don't you come along and have a go and see what you think? I'm also having my ARB/Subframe lock bolts fitted at the same time.

Impreza STi shocks/springs will give you a drop of about 3 - 3.5" IIRC. WRX shocks/springs drop by about 2" or so. Forester STi springs (for the XT) with Forester struts give about a 1" drop.

However, I've just spoken to DH Cars and they're not importing the Forester STi spirngs at the moment due to the weak £. They can get hold of TEIN H-tech springs but these take 1 to 2 months to arrive!!!!

Whiteline used to do their "Control Springs" for a Forester which give a similar drop to the FSTi springs, however, they no longer list them on their site - though Balance Motorsport still list them so I've dropped them a line to see if they have them in stock.

If not, then that'll be one less decision I need to make and it'll be on with the WRX shocks currently sitting in my shed!

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's not a bad idea though I'm over in Gloucester full time on a contract at the moment... I had couple of WRXs before the FXT so handling-wise, I'm sure the WRX shocks will work a treat.

I guess I've just been thinking that to my mind, part of the point of a Forester is that on the occasions where I want/need to take it a bit off-road then I can without worrying about causing any damage. If I lower it too far, then it just becomes a fast estate.

Having said that, I don't think the place where I walk my dogs exactly qualifies as "off-road", but still, it's nice to think that I could go a bit further off-road if I wanted to. ;o)

As I have the WRX bits already (rears courtesy of [email protected]) I'm going to fit those and if it turns out to be too low, then I'll look at STi or Tein springs on Forester Struts. Wife and children permitting, I may even get some time to fit the shocks this weekend.

You'll love the ARB and subframe lock bolts BTW... in some ways, it's a shame you're getting them all fitted at the same time as the WRX shocks as you won't see how much of a difference they make on their own.

In other ways, you get the full benefit from everything straight away - I just hope you've budgeted for the drop in fuel economy with all the extra fun factor the new suspension will give! ;o)

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the photos... it is pretty low but looks good. When you say STi, do you mean Forester or Impreza? I would have thought Impreza STi struts would be lower?

Were the WRX strut from a saloon or a wagon? Also, I take it you're running 18s?

I think I might prefer a smidge more clearance but I guess if I put the WRX struts on and I don't like them, I can always change and sell them on - mine are 07 inverted style with only 17k on them so I should make back what I paid for them.

The alternative are raised King Springs for the Impreza though I notice on their site that they have the same part number as Forester lowering springs.

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Here's mine on WRX struts and springs done by James at GRD. He has since changed them to STi struts and springs as the ride was a little too firm and slightly too low. I'll try and find some pictures of the car on the STi set up if you want?
That looks nice but is too low IMHO. You must be bottoming out I guess?
As Gigsy says, have you replaced with FSTI or ISTI ever since? Any pics of the new setup and impressions?

·
Registered
2001 forester s turbo
54 Posts
changed to bugeye wrx springs and shocks

I changed to wrx springs and shocks from a 2001 bugeye and I just love the looks and handling.

Takes it down about 2" but not too much to look boy racer like.

Handles far better than the sls setup.

Running on 16" wheels but a set of 17's will just fill up those arches nicely.

Keeps it original subaru setup ,lower and a fraction of the cost of aftermarket stuff if you buy form an impressa owner who has upgraded.

:woohoo:scooby69

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Yes, i'm running 18's, 225 / 45 / 18 and now on STi suspension which i'm sure came off an Impreza but i don't know for definate.

When the WRX suspenion went on I knew the drop from standard ride height would be big but i wasn't expecting it to sit that low! The car felt very stiff too and was unforgiving driving day to day. In a corner and on roundabouts it was great fun though:biggrin: But then again i had come from standard suspension so it was from one extreme to another.

Now, the STi setup is far more pleasent which does give that extra smidge of ground clearance you're looking for. I was concerned that with the car fully loaded something would rub while on the WRX setup which was another reason for changing to the STi setup

There was / is no bottoming out on either set up. Hope that helps
I would expect the Sti setup to be lower than the WRX but it seems that it isn't!
What MY are the Sti struts/springs from? These must be non-inverted I guess?
Can you post a pic of the rear wishbones? Are they parallel to the ground or pointing downwards now?
Cheers!

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
From everything I've read, WRX should give a 2 inch drop and Impreza STi should give three... which looks to me to be what the STi setup has..... I wonder if the WRX shocks had been fitted with lowering springs? Now that I'm looking at the WRX photos on a bigger monitor, it does seem very low.

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WRX suspension is now on!!! Only took 2 hours start to finish so even my wife was pleased!

Ride height looks to be a bit more than in both of Stozzer's set of photos (I'll post pictures of mine as soon as I find the right cable). In total, it's now about 2" lower than stock.

I used 3/8" rear spacers to prevent butt sag when using saloon struts/springs but I think the rear could use a little bit of a lift so wagon springs might be the way to go.

Having said that, I think I'd still like an extra inch of ride height though as I do think the Forester suits a higher ride height but I may just need time to get used to it. Handling is much improved though, obviously! ;o)

The only problem is that the right rear is clunking - I'm not sure if this is the strut or the drop link. Fortunately, I have a spare one in the shed so I'll swap that out and check that everything is tightened down correctly later keep my fingers crossed.

·
Emeritus Forum Staff
5,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Drop link changed, clunking gone. Job done.

(Visually, I still think it needs to be an inch higher at the back which is about what it is before the suspension settles - will see how I feel in a week or two ;o)

·
Premium Member
2006 G35 Sedan Auto
551 Posts
WRX suspension is now on!!! Only took 2 hours start to finish so even my wife was pleased!

Ride height looks to be a bit more than in both of Stozzer's set of photos (I'll post pictures of mine as soon as I find the right cable). In total, it's now about 2" lower than stock.

I used 3/8" rear spacers to prevent butt sag when using saloon struts/springs but I think the rear could use a little bit of a lift so wagon springs might be the way to go.

Having said that, I think I'd still like an extra inch of ride height though as I do think the Forester suits a higher ride height but I may just need time to get used to it. Handling is much improved though, obviously! ;o)

The only problem is that the right rear is clunking - I'm not sure if this is the strut or the drop link. Fortunately, I have a spare one in the shed so I'll swap that out and check that everything is tightened down correctly later keep my fingers crossed.
Iterested in seeing pics as i'm looking to get suspension soon for my 08 FSXT.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts