Subaru Forester Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry to beat this suspension upgrade topic to death, but here's my situation:

I have purchased complete assembled 2004 wrx wagon suspension.

-From my research, it looks like I have to find sedan front struts to match my track and have correct camber. Please confirm.

-My other variable is I've heard discrepensy regarding tophats. Will I need to find different year tophats or can I use my forester tophats and/or the 04 wrx tophats?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Steve

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
I have purchased complete assembled 2004 wrx wagon suspension.

-From my research, it looks like I have to find sedan front struts to match my track and have correct camber. Please confirm.
That is the million dollar question that has been lingering around here...

Info I got from NASIOC and other forums points to sedan struts to better match the stance of our cars. FYI, the Forester has the same wider stance as the Impreza sedan. Sedan owners have found that using wagon struts on sedan cars causes camber issue which could only be corrected using camber plates. I am currently using sedan struts primarily for that reason to play it safe. No Forester owner has yet to use wagon struts so we don't know for certain. That has been my theory with the SG Foresters. I have not look into the stance of the SF model. I would just hate to bolt on wagon struts and have to redo it all but you can try and let us know? ;)

I suggest you atleast look for used front 04 struts or a trade before attempting to use the front wagon struts. New '04 struts are about $100 each.

-My other variable is I've heard discrepensy regarding tophats. Will I need to find different year tophats or can I use my forester tophats and/or the 04 wrx tophats?
The complete takeoffs from the 04s should bolt right in. The issue with top hats are due to the change in design of the rear springs over the years. If I go into detail, it will only confuse you.

·
Premium Member
2012 camry se 6AT
2,809 Posts
Number1Dog said:
Would new KYB GR-2 WRX struts with the SPI/STI Forester Springs be a good set up on a 2006 Forester XT?
I would not do that. The JDM Forester STi springs a.k.a. SPT/XT STi springs known here in the U.S. is not designed to work with the Impreza struts. The springs designed for a Forester is longer than Impreza springs and you may have a heck of a time getting the Forester springs to work with Impreza struts. No one has tried that setup so who knows what the outcome would be. I suggest either using all Impreza parts only or Forester parts for that matter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts